Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-27-2014, 12:29 AM   #1
WHATSaDavid

Drives: 2006 Yaris 3-Door Manual
Going Turbo and Premium Gas

So I eventually wanna turbo my 06 yaris 3-door.
Not looking to push mad boost or anything just enough to see some horsepower improvement and be choo chooing XD (I love how they sound)

My one question is i've been told by my buddy his STi can't run on anything other than premium and that all turbo car's have to run on it. I've read elsewhere that some manufactures make specific turbo cars to run on 87 or regular, so I know what he said isn't completely true.

I'd like to turbo my car but if I'm gonna have to get premium I might not do it cause gas is pretty outrageous here in Canada, Alberta. $1.08 for regular currently. Sometimes as high as $1.40.
WHATSaDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:51 AM   #2
Kickyaris09

Drives: 09 yaris blazin blue
Premium all the way! Even without a turbo... Premium pays for its self runs cleaner plus you get better mpg. Plus...at .20 more a gallon it's only 2$ extra to fill a 10 gal tank.
Kickyaris09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:25 AM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
In almost all aftermarket boosted applications you do need to run high octane fuel to prevent detonation. In factory boosted cars, the ECM watches the knock sensor and can deal to some extent with lower octane fuel by pulling timing. You can actually tune an aftermarket setup for low octane fuel, but with all the timing you will need to pull under boost, you significantly reduce your power gains.

As for the statement about using premium for fuel savings and cleaner emissions on a non boosted car, that is actually a fallacy that has been well documented. There are many threads on here about it with links to articles.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:48 PM   #4
mitchell12

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
If you are worried about gas prices you really ahiuldnt even be considering a turbo setup or any performance setup at all.