Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-13-2014, 11:09 AM   #1
Rutherford

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Need help with Evap Canister Replacement

I have the dreaded check engine light with the codes telling the dealer I have water in the evap canister. With the dealer wanting about $1200.00 to fix and seeing as how the unit appears to be easy to get to under the rear I thought I would try to replace myself. It is getting to be a pain putting gas in the yaris as I can only pump it very slow. Got underneath the Yaris this past weekend to see how difficult it is going to be to replace. Need some help figuring out how to remove the various connections. Tried squeezing the flat sides of some of the connectors while pushing them in with no luck. Maybe someone out there can put pointers on the photos below as to where to press to remove the connectors for my stupid self. Ain’t like the old days.
There is also a filter?? (see last photo) box on the line that runs from the canister to the fuel filler neck. Should I do anything with this (check. clean, etc.). The vapor canisters are really expensive and I was wondering if anyone has tried the used ones they sell on ebay, etc. which are around $250.00.
With just about 250,000 miles on my 08 it has been a good car except for this issue and my airbag light is on. The only major thing I have had to do is a water pump so far. I have to get it inspected next month so I have to fix this issue to get it through. Really appreciate any help on this you can give me. I am technologically challenged so I hope this post works with the photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0395.JPG (60.4 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0393.JPG (68.1 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0391.JPG (76.6 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0403.JPG (54.6 KB, 132 views)
Rutherford is offline   Reply With Quote