Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-21-2011, 02:49 AM   #19
djct_watt

Drives: 2010 NCP91 5spd
I've been looking into this, actually. I noticed that SOME thai-spec Yarii come with rear disc brakes. I don't know if the conversion is plug and play, and if there will need to be any changes in brake force distribution. I can't imagine that the fluid pressure needed to correctly operate a disc brakes is identical to that of the drums. . .
Old 01-21-2011, 12:27 PM   #20
xbgod
Banned

Drives: "Burning It Down GTX2860RS XB"
This is for you all looking to do big brakes and or rear disc conversions.

Getting the right ratio:
In order to get the correct ratio for your brake system a few measurements must be taken. First, remove the old master cylinder. Measure from the center line of the pivot point “P” of the brake arm to the pivot point of the master cylinder rod to get length “B”. Next, measure from the pivot point of the master cylinder rod to the center of the footpad to get length “A”. Finally, divide length “A” by length “B”. This will give you your pedal ratio. The recommended ratio should be 7:1. For example, if length “A” was 14 “ and length “B” was 2”, then 14/2=7.

Proper bedding of new pads:New brake pads require a bedding process. This bedding procedure starts by pumping your brakes at a very low speed to ensure proper brake operation. Make a series of hard stops at progressively higher speeds. Continue this process until brake fade is felt. Park the car and give the pads a chance to cool completely. Improper pad bedding results in glazed pads diminishing stopping ability. Brake pads should be checked regularly. If pads are wearing evenly, they can be used almost down to the backing plate.

Bleeding the system:An initial gravity bleeding is recommended to remove most of the air in the system. This is accomplished by filling the master cylinder with fresh fluid and opening the bleed ports. Leave the top off the master cylinder. Fluid will flow into and fill the calipers. Be sure to keep fluid in the reservoir to keep air out of the system. This process will take some time. A final bleeding is accomplished by firmly pressing the brake pedal and having someone open the bleed port until the pedal goes to the floor, closing the bleed port before the pedal is lifted. Do not pump the pedal while bleeding. This only foams the fluid and prevents proper bleeding. Repeat this process for all brakes until pedal is high and firm. Be sure no air bubbles come from the calipers.

Master Cylinder: The master cylinder requirements vary depending on front/rear brake combination. If you are using 4 piston calipers on the front and rear it will require a master cylinder with a minimum bore size of 1 1/32.

Proportioning Valves:Used for adjusting line pressure. (On that line only that it is attached)
A proportioning valve does not redistribute line pressure from front to rear it only adjusts the pressure on the line that is hook-up to. Do not get confused on what this valve does.

Residual Valve
Used for keeping line pressure on drum brakes (keeps tension on the springs) or for a master cylinder that is at level or below the caliper.

XBG
xbgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:54 PM   #21
djct_watt

Awesome info. . . thanks for the reply. So does that mean that the pressure is even across all the brake lines, regardless of drum or disc? Does this mean that it would be a direct swap if OEM disc brakes can be found?
Old 01-21-2011, 03:23 PM   #22
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
RunStop rear disc conversion:
http://shop.microimageonline.com/Yar...Y-RearDisc.htm

Works great, and you can get it in Thailand (if that's where you are).

My experience from racing the car with this kit installed was that this did proportion more braking to the rear, but just a little.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:35 PM   #23
xbgod
Banned

The pressure is not even across the brake lines. The port closest to the M/C will have more pressure typically than the one furthest out. There are lots of things that are involved when setting up a brake system. If you want to know how to set the best system up for your self, I will need to know what you are using for front and rear brakes.

What kind of calipers will be used?
What will be the size of the pistons and how many?
The same questions apply to the rear.

Once I know this I can calculate your M/C size and pedal ratio. Some things in your stock system may not even need to change depending on what your going to do.

XBG
Old 01-21-2011, 05:41 PM   #24
xbgod
Banned

Here is a pic of my rear disc kit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY0062.JPG (258.4 KB, 621 views)
File Type: jpg SANY0069.JPG (216.2 KB, 613 views)
File Type: jpg SANY0071.JPG (208.7 KB, 608 views)
File Type: jpg SANY0075.JPG (228.4 KB, 608 views)
File Type: jpg SANY0072.JPG (176.7 KB, 612 views)
Old 01-22-2011, 01:27 AM   #25
djct_watt

I'm looking at converting OEM rear drums to OEM rear discs, both for the Yaris. In Asia, They are available with OEM rear discs too, but only come on fully spec'd auto's and not 5spds. I don't know the specs since I haven't sourced one from a junkyard yet.

Look here: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3081 for pics.

I've tried to asks the dealers for info, but they are all clueless. . . the Toyota tech's here don't even know about torquing to spec, or anything about proper setup. An alignment involves driving the car around the block (they almost never set it up on the rack), and even though I have a headlight shooting almost straight up, the DEALER says it's aligned, because his crosseyed eyes said so. Labor is dirt cheap here, but knowledge is in limited supply. If I do this conversion, I'm doing it myself. I don't trust the tech's here.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:31 PM   #26
07stlYaris
If Its Not Blown It Sucks

Drives: 07 Yaris LB Meteorite
What about Celica or (Ugh) Civic rears?

Being an avid welder and fabricator, why not?? The Honda thing is a bit wrong but hey, as long as the lug pattern is correct, only I would know. As for older Celica stuff, why not? Bolt pattern is correct, Car weights are not too far off. Parts would still be Toyota sourced. Wouldn't confuse a shop nearly as much. Thinking I might try this with the Celica parts next summer so I'll let you know.
07stlYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:03 PM   #27
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ That will be a great post!
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:33 PM   #28
ysr 72

Drives: toyota yaris SR
pirelli p6000 with brembo max discs and pads on my mk1 1.3 SR does the job!
ysr 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:04 PM   #29
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ I bet it does!
Old 02-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #30
10 Francis

Drives: 2010 Yaris S HB
What about 3rd-gen rear disk swap? (maybe there's already be a dedicated thread for that?)
10 Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:00 PM   #31
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Francis View Post
What about 3rd-gen rear disk swap? (maybe there's already be a dedicated thread for that?)
3rd gen what?
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #32
10 Francis

Drives: 2010 Yaris S HB
2012+ Yaris. The SE comes with rear disks.
Sorry for the confusion; I suppose for us in the US, it's just the second generation of the Yaris. There's a whole forum on this site entitled "Third Generation Yaris General Discussion" referring to the 2012 and later models.
10 Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #33
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Francis View Post
2012+ Yaris. The SE comes with rear disks.
Sorry for the confusion; I suppose for us in the US, it's just the second generation of the Yaris. There's a whole forum on this site entitled "Third Generation Yaris General Discussion" referring to the 2012 and later models.
Oh of course. The rear brakes are probably similar to the corolla as well.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:04 AM   #34
Rose Frankie

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
I think there is no 3rd Generation of Yaris. If it is there please let me know about it.
Rose Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:43 AM   #35
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

thread resurrection.

1st gen Yaris = Echo = pre-2006 (or 2007 depending on where you live)
2nd gen Yaris = 2006=2011
3rd gen Yaris = 2012+
Old 12-28-2014, 07:10 PM   #36
Ben_

Drives: 2010 Yaris Hatch
Still interested in any cross model part swapping ie corolla rear disks or some kind of rear sway
Ben_ is offline   Reply With Quote