Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Yaris TS Talk
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-22-2009, 05:23 PM   #19
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by shtou View Post
removing the cat from 1.8 TS standard yaris and install a new exhaust helps the acceleration?
The removal of a CAT will give you a very small gain...

This is what I did with very good results:

I removed only the secondary cat (our car has 2 cats) and left the primary cat alone, that way the car will pass emmissions test.

Then I removed all the exhaust from the primary cat back and replace it by a custom unit. I used 2.25" pipe, a resonator and a rear chambered muffler.

Sounds great and I felt some good gains on the top range mostly.
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:56 AM   #20
mrloseth

Drives: 1,5 turbo yaris 2005mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by CASTREX View Post
Yep... that's the one!
i recived the o2 sensor fouler today, so now i can bye an complete 2,25" from the elbow:) and hope fore more power:) im wondering if the boost will go up??
mrloseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:20 PM   #21
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrloseth View Post
i recived the o2 sensor fouler today, so now i can bye an complete 2,25" from the elbow:) and hope fore more power:) im wondering if the boost will go up??

The boost will not go up. The boost level is controlled by the internal wastegate spring on the turbo.

2 main benefits you will get from the free flowing exhaust...

Better turbo spool up ( reaction time ) and you will pick up a few HP's mostly on the higher Revs...
Old 10-07-2009, 05:06 AM   #22
mrloseth

today i recived my car back from the work shop, so now i have a brand new engine, whats the best way to brake in the engine? when can i use the full engine power? any tips? :)
Old 10-12-2009, 11:48 AM   #23
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Quote:
so my mind whas thinking of 0,65 bar boost and complete exhaust from elbow without cat, what do you think? would it be a risk doing so?
The car won't lean out because of the exhaust, don't worry about that.

If you raise the boost to 0.65bar the car will definitely lean out and you will be on risk again.

You need to understand that the ECU in your car was programmed by TRD to run very low boost... You can raise your boost as long as you have some way to properly tune your fuel and timing. You will need a programmable ECU or piggy back to do that, such as a Greddy emanage or SAFC, AEM FIC.

Another option that you have in order to raise the boost to 0.65 safely, is using a water/ meth injection system. Usually a water meth set up will suppress the knock an will allow you to raise your boost level with no further tuning.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:51 PM   #24
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

I don't know what to tell you as I have no idea what you mean by chip tuned.

In an earlier post you mentioned that the chip only raised the rev limit. Does the chip also controls fuel and timing?

What where you A/F readings when you were boosting 1bar? I can't imagine how your injectors were able to provide enough fuel at that boost level...

The best advise that I can give you... if you want to make the most out of your car with out braking it again is to take it to a reputable tuner to install a REAL programmable computer. Only doing that you will be able to control all the critical parameters. SI not only about fuel... You need to take out ignition timing... this is a high compression engine... you have to relay on a very good tune if you are increasing the boost.

In simple words... it will be expensive to safely increase the boost...
Old 10-15-2009, 08:02 PM   #25
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

When you aare running higher boost than stock you have to be very careful. A correct MAP for your set up is the key. I don't know if the car will go lean just becasue of the exhaust but i would suggest not to take your chances.

Get the exhaust done and then get the car remaped properly. You will feel better dirving your car afterwards.

The problem with the open blow off valve is that in some occasions the car will go too rich and stall... mostly because you are releasing air that was already measured by your MAF.
This is usually not much of a problem... i know of 2 yaris running with vented BOV's with no problem.

At stock boost level the car doesn't really NEED one (hence why TRD didn't added one) but for the sake of your turbo, if you are raising the boost it is definetely a good idea to instal one BOV.

You can always recirculate the BOV, like most of the OE turbo cars... you can use a regular Bosch valve from a VW/Audi and have the air recirculated back to the intake.
That way the car won't stall and you will be protecting your turbo...
Old 10-16-2009, 04:31 PM   #26
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Quote:
Do you know off any one else that have removed the cat`s and put on 2,25" exhaust on the turbo yaris?

the other one i know have the same car and map as me and he have removed the biggest cat an 2,25" exhaust, and open filter, and open bov, and he have 1,0-1,2 bar off boost..:) i dont know why is car do last this:P

so my teori was that if i build the exhaust but i remove all the cat`s, and run stock boost i think that the only diffrence i would feel is more power, and the only danger i think is that i would get an faster spool up on the turbo, but i hope that this wouldnt be any problem?! do you know if the others you know did get faster spool up? bacause the tunning firm said that it was the faster spool ut that could be the problem.because maybe the map wouldnt give enought fuel if the boost started earlier.. good teori?

i dont dont thik that its any problem to run stock boost and exhaust..:

The problem with the open blow off valve is that in some occasions the car will go too rich and stall... mostly because you are releasing air that was already measured by your MAF.
This is usually not much of a problem... i know of 2 yaris running with vented BOV's with no problem.

i did have bov on the engine before the engine did blow up, but now i dont have any, but i dont think that it would be any problem to put it on again?

I know of 2 Yaris here running catless and 2.25 and 2.5 exhausts with the stock map with no problem.
The spool up will improve... but is not that much!! These cars are lagless from the box. So I would not be worried about that.

And the BOV should not be a problem either..
Old 10-17-2009, 04:25 AM   #27
mrloseth

Quote:
I know of 2 Yaris here running catless and 2.25 and 2.5 exhausts with the stock map with no problem.
The spool up will improve... but is not that much!! These cars are lagless from the box. So I would not be worried about that.

And the BOV should not be a problem either..
thank you for all the info:)

i think that i will build the exhaust and put on the bov, and leave the stock boost att 0,5 bar, because then the car woul last longer i think:):) the new engine wouks good so far:)
Old 10-29-2009, 07:28 AM   #28
mrloseth

hello castrex, i got one question for you if you know, the do you know if the first muffler after the turbo is an catlysator? or just an filter ?
i im just wondering if there is any help to remove it.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:11 PM   #29
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Quote:
hello castrex, i got one question for you if you know, the do you know if the first muffler after the turbo is an catlysator? or just an filter ?
i im just wondering if there is any help to remove it.
Yes, that is a cat.

If you don't need to take the gar for inspection you can remove it. It's usually ilegal in many places. Not sure in your country.

You can probbaly gain a couple extra HP taking the cat out. You can also replace it with a high flow race cat.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:23 AM   #30
mrloseth

Quote:
Yes, that is a cat.

If you don't need to take the gar for inspection you can remove it. It's usually ilegal in many places. Not sure in your country.

You can probbaly gain a couple extra HP taking the cat out. You can also replace it with a high flow race cat.
okey, i was thinking off removing the cat number two att first,:) i did install an aem wideband yesturday, and att full throttle att 3-4 gear the messure was 10,0 att 4500-6200rpm the aem doesent messure lower:/ so i think i have enought fuel, , i have stock boost and stock exhaust now.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:13 AM   #31
mrloseth

yesturday i did messure my wideband..the results: started att 1500rpm on 5gear messurements: 1700rpm 13,0....1900rpm 13,3....2300rpm 13,4....2500rpm 13,7...... 2700rpm 13,9..... 2800rpm.14,0....3000rpm-13,5...3200rpm 12,0... 3500rpm 11.8.... 3800rpm-10.7...4000-6200 rpm 10,0

castrex : what do think? this messure are with stock boost.
i think maybe it a bit lean att 2800 rpm?
what would hapen if i bouild exhaust?

im going to do an new messure today and see if i do get the same
Old 11-05-2009, 12:55 PM   #32
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Quote:
yesturday i did messure my wideband..the results: started att 1500rpm on 5gear messurements: 1700rpm 13,0....1900rpm 13,3....2300rpm 13,4....2500rpm 13,7...... 2700rpm 13,9..... 2800rpm.14,0....3000rpm-13,5...3200rpm 12,0... 3500rpm 11.8.... 3800rpm-10.7...4000-6200 rpm 10,0

castrex : what do think? this messure are with stock boost.
i think maybe it a bit lean att 2800 rpm?
what would hapen if i bouild exhaust?

im going to do an new messure today and see if i do get the same

These numbers don't tell much unless you can add the boost figures also. It does a bit lean at 2800 as you said if you are indeed boosting at that RPMS.

It does also look quite rich at the top end... if you could lean that out you will gain some power up top.

How many psi are you seeing at 2500/2800 rpm?

Overall it doesn't look bad. You have enough fuel obviously. Some fine tuning would help. Why don't you try getting a SAFC or a greddy emange? You should be fine if you build a full exhaust.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:22 PM   #33
mrloseth

Quote:
These numbers don't tell much unless you can add the boost figures also. It does a bit lean at 2800 as you said if you are indeed boosting at that RPMS.

It does also look quite rich at the top end... if you could lean that out you will gain some power up top.

How many psi are you seeing at 2500/2800 rpm?

Overall it doesn't look bad. You have enough fuel obviously. Some fine tuning would help. Why don't you try getting a SAFC or a greddy emange? You should be fine if you build a full exhaust.

i got 0,5 bar boost at 1700 rpm and i have the same boost att 6200 rpm.. the car is now totaly stock.. so you think that it wouldnt be a problem to bouild exhaust now?:)
Old 11-06-2009, 10:59 AM   #34
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Quote:
i got 0,5 bar boost at 1700 rpm and i have the same boost att 6200 rpm.. the car is now totaly stock.. so you think that it wouldnt be a problem to bouild exhaust now?:)
if you are running stock boost on the original ECU you are OK to build an exhaust.

OK so you are hitting full boost at 1,700rpm so it seems like you are running a bit lean from 1,700rpm to above 3,200rpm I would still think about some sort of management like a emanage, SAFC, AEM FIC so you can load a smother curve. But overll you seem to be fine. TRD knows what they are doing... and as long as you don't raise the boost, an aftermarket exhaust should not be a problem.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:13 AM   #35
mrloseth

Quote:
if you are running stock boost on the original ECU you are OK to build an exhaust.

OK so you are hitting full boost at 1,700rpm so it seems like you are running a bit lean from 1,700rpm to above 3,200rpm I would still think about some sort of management like a emanage, SAFC, AEM FIC so you can load a smother curve. But overll you seem to be fine. TRD knows what they are doing... and as long as you don't raise the boost, an aftermarket exhaust should not be a problem.

http://www.greddy.com/products/displ...SubCategory=47

it seems like they have kit also for my car?

is it difficult to program this?
Old 11-10-2009, 10:59 AM   #36
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Quote:
http://www.greddy.com/products/displ...SubCategory=47

it seems like they have kit also for my car?

is it difficult to program this?

Yep they do. Is not difficult if you know what you are doing... If you understand the basics of engine tuning and are willing to take some risks you can do it your self. My advise, look for a local Emanage tuner. This is a very popular device, finding a tuner for it shouldn't be that difficult.