Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-21-2009, 07:22 PM   #1
behour

Drives: Yaris
$86.44 for oil change? I feel screwed

I have no experience with vehicles. My yaris is the first new car I bought. I sadly feel often screwed. I went to get an oil change today and was charged 86.44 for it.

Here is my questions

It was full syntetic oil. Is this the best to get or should I avoid?
I was over charged...correct? It seems ridiculously high.
My bill looks something like this

Labor 33.84
Parts 48.20
Shop Material 1.35
Sales tax 3.05
Total 86.44

This is my 2nd oil change at 10,000 miles. My first oil change I asked for syntetic from another Toyota dealer and was only charged $41.45. I was not sure if I was given full synthetic oil even when told otherwise. I was charged with "lube synthetic oil for $10.00". The bill was not clear. I have had problems with the sales department so I tried another dealer. Looks like I should of just stayed with them for a $40 dollar change in price and a 20minutes extra drive.

Any opinions and help would be great for someone as clueless as me with cars. I just want to take the best care for it you know?
behour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:28 PM   #2
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
WTF they fucked u over with this!!!!!
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:45 PM   #3
blacksandiegovitz
Your mom goes to college

Drives: 08 Vitz
You over paid by about $20 Imo
I just switched over to syntetic and bought 4 x quarts of royal purple for $39 from pepboys and took the oil and the car to the toyota dealer and they charged $25 for oem toyota filter and labor .
blacksandiegovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:46 PM   #4
Brentorius

Drives: 07 Mazda MX5 Copper Red
That is ridiculous!
Old 12-21-2009, 07:47 PM   #5
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

Drives: 07 liftback
wow 25 bucks

i get OEM toyota ones for 5.00 here, save 20 bucks and take 10 mins to do it yourself

http://www.4055design.com
kustom play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:51 PM   #6
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
i pay my mechanic friend $20, toyota filter, not synthetic oil tho.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:03 PM   #7
DerFlosser

You got raped....plain and simple. Seriously...oil changes on this car are sooooo easy.
DerFlosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:16 PM   #8
slothman86

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Yeah, there should be a thread to post on "if you think you are getting screwed"

YW will always guide you straight!
Old 12-21-2009, 08:29 PM   #9
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
This is the average price here with the cupon. with out it its like 5 bucks extra
Attached Images

JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:31 PM   #10
blacksandiegovitz
Your mom goes to college

Drives: 08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerFlosser View Post
You got raped....plain and simple. Seriously...oil changes on this car are sooooo easy.
No guff , but if your car is under warrenty you have to have your oil changed by a reputiable place to show a legit service record . But seriously guys if you buy 4 qts of royal purple thats 40 bucks right there +6-7 dollars for a oem toyota oil filter is still almost 50 bucks , this guy really didn't get reamed that bad . Fyi any oil change for at the bmw dealer is $130 minium and the volvo dealer charged my friend $190 for an oil change on his xc90 Lol
blacksandiegovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:54 PM   #11
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
You were over charged for a simple oil change. It's so simple to DIY. It doesn't much effort to check the other things.

There are other places that are much more reasonable. Perhaps you should look around before your next change.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:13 PM   #12
hyprmiler
It's cold in Wisconsin...

Drives: 2008 and 2009 Yaris Sedans
My yaris is due for an oil change. I'm kind of afraid to do it being that it's a new car and I haven't done this model yet.

I think I'm going to wait till it's warmer out so I don't get cold and annoyed at the car.

I did however pick up a 5 quart jug of Mobile 1 and a Mobile 1 oil flter

Called the Toyota dealership and they said that it would only cost me 8 bucks for them to service it. It might be worth my trip.

Just can't stand being on my back, in the cold (under 15 degrees), and want to take my time and do this right.

/sigh
hyprmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:37 PM   #13
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
The going rate for most shops is 60 and up for a fully synthetic oil change for up to 5 quarts of oil. Here in california ir ranges in the 70s.

Honestly there is zero markup on oil. Maybe 5 cents per quart. No mark up on oil filter maybe a dollar if were lucky. There is no profit for the shop. Most labor charges for oil change range from 15-30. So really you payed 30 verses 15-20 you might get at another shop. You didnt get reamed you just payed maybe slightly higher than what you could get at maybe another shop.

You factor the cost of shop material. I dont think thats unreasonable 1.35 that covers the cost of brake cleaner/parts wash to clean the oil residue when done draining. The rags to whipe up everything. Shop has to pay to have the oil filteres removed. Some shops if they are small still may pay to have the hazz fees to dispose of used oil.

They arnt making any profit really. Once you pay for the technician. There isnt any money leftover to pay for the rack time ie rent for the time they did your oil change. Reality yes you oculd pay 40 for the oil maybe 5 for the filter. And do it yourself. The you got to deal with cleaning up the mess. Finding someone to dispose of the oil and filter. Unless your the type of person who throws the old filter in the trash and poor the oil down the sink its goign to cost you money. Some places are willing to take it for recycle like kragens but not always.

To me its too much hassle. Sorry i get offended when i hear the word shop and ripping off cause i do manage a auto shop. They didnt rip you a new one that just charged appropiately for what the job is worth as opposed to another shop that may be willing to take more of a loss to bring customers in. Oil change is a lost leader.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:39 PM   #14
hyprmiler
It's cold in Wisconsin...

Drives: 2008 and 2009 Yaris Sedans
I just broke down and scheduled my first oil change on my Yaris. Too damn cold to be doing anything car related currently..... especially when you factor in that i've never changed the oil on this model.
hyprmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:05 PM   #15
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
That is absolutely amazing. My oil changes cost me $25 and about 20 minutes.

Honestly man, learn to change your own oil. The Yaris is VERY easy to work on.
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:06 PM   #16
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
wow , that's 3 oil changes using PENNZOIL Platinum or SHELL Full Synthetic along with a TOYO oil fliter if capable of doing it yourself .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:24 PM   #17
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksandiegovitz View Post
but if your car is under warrenty you have to have your oil changed by a reputiable place to show a legit service record
Not true. DIY FTW

86 dollars is way overpriced.

There is markup on oil. If they aren't making profit at 85, how do they charge me 65(and still make a profit), and they aren't just doing it to bring customers in, its a going rate, at a lube only place... Auto zone made profit off me buying 5 qts pennzoil platinum and a mobil 1 filter for 27.99
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:28 PM   #18
behour

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpmanYaris View Post
This is the average price here with the cupon. with out it its like 5 bucks extra

Well this is what was done.. which I assume was standred but according to what you posted for $30 they change the filter and oil. Do they rotate the tires? I was charged $26 more for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by schleppy View Post
That is absolutely amazing. My oil changes cost me $25 and about 20 minutes.

Honestly man, learn to change your own oil. The Yaris is VERY easy to work on.
Would love to but unsure on how. How would I rotate the tires? As well as clean up properly?

I will talk to this new dealer tomorrow in hopes that they could explain this high bill. I wish I had more of a straight answer on here but either way thanks for the advice. Not a good deal seems to be the right answer but I am probably just wanting to believe that... so very tired of car dealers/auto shops etc always feel like they will charge whatever they want.
behour is offline   Reply With Quote