Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-25-2006, 08:31 PM   #73
soros151
Another question... :D

Drives: Scion tC 06
Okay, still it would have more sense to work on a 2ZZ than in a 1NZ, cause the 2ZZ has more power potential with less money in the long run. All the money you would use to squeeze any oz. of hp from the 1NZ would be better off just to get a very GOOD N/A motor into this chassis. It may not a be a complete Yaris in our hearts but it would beat the crap out of almost anything. A next serious step once you get this motor, would be to stiffen the chassis a bit more and use good suspension parts to go up to par with the 2ZZ.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:44 PM   #74
bulldogs2k

Drives: '00 s2000, 2007 yaris hatch
that would be a fun ride^^^
bulldogs2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 01:08 PM   #75
heylookitsjames
maintenance of momentum

Drives: 2007 5spd 3dr
damn, that's pretty clean. Any info on that swap? looks like it's in Europe...
heylookitsjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 05:20 PM   #76
soros151

Tried to look for more info, but the company who did it in the UK, closed... so no website no nothing. :(
Old 07-29-2006, 03:13 AM   #77
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback and S13's
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponrcamry
why would you want a 6 speed in the yaris anyway? And even if you swap the 2zz into the yaris, you would have a decent a mount of fabrication. Plus the angle of the motor woulnd't look good either.
If you want a turbo setup, where would it go? But under the car where the x-haust is. Hmm another $5000 of custom work?

I mean its a great idea, but, their are better options. Rebuild the engine, turbo it, or swap in the cheaper 1zz-fe. Many, many aftermarket support. Probably half the cost of the 2zz swap, unless you know what your doing or you have about $10,000-$15,000K to spare. I mean if you want to be like a honda with a k20a into a hatch with the 6 speed LOL. But you gotta think, just because someone done the swap overseas or so, would it be able to pass the vision check of the emissions, what if you get pulled over? You should probably should wait within a year or so until you have proof of the swap and it is legal to do so. But otherwise a waste of money.

Umm..why would i want a 6 speed umm..i can think of 1 reasonl..that extra gear, which means that you can have EVEN SHORTER gearing and still have a 6th gear for highway driving (basically, it's taken AWAY the one disadvantage of a short-geared 5 speed). Also, 2ZZGE 6speed trannies (USUALLY) have LSDifferential, so you'd save money in a 2ZZGE swap as opposed to "SOUPING" up the 1NZFE's scrawny 5 speed with Open Differential. Last I checked, Nismo 1.5 way units are $650 +++$500 to install!!
As far as fabrication, that won't be an issue if the YARIS T SPORT becomes an official production car. Then it will be as simple as getting a Toyota OEM part NUMBER and ordering them sumbitches from Carson Toyota (who can IMPORT ANYTHING JDM,TOYOTA OEM OR NOT).

1ZZFE?? if you're gonna spend the money on "ZZ" series motor mounts..why get a 133 hp motor for $1700 (engine/5speed) when you could spend an extra $1000 and have a 180hp+ performance engine/6 speed/ LSDifferential???!?!Last i checked (when I helped with 2ZZGE into MR2 Spyder which had stock 1ZZFE FF setup), a 2ZZGE full swap costs right at $2700 from VERY RELIABLE JDM importers. The power band for 11.5:1 Natural Aspiration is amazing in a car that weighs less than a ton!!

Or, you could go with a custom turbo kit, hopefully HASS will build a kit for 'em..though it won't happen without an online "petition" to prove that their would be a market for Yaris Turbo kits (basically, im-farking-possible.)

Or, you could import a JDM 1NZFTE clip and do a proper Turbo swap..though most people would opt to do a turbo kit on the stock motor due to the INTIMIDATION OF PULLING A MOTOR (=wussies)!! Which means you'll likely go the "easy" route and just purchase all the "bolt on" turbo parts from the 1NZFE just to make it fit without regards to things like upgraded fuel injectors, oil pumps and coolers, etc. that will keep the engine running for more than 1000 miles...

Expensive is the tuner scene. I don't think anyone here has sat down and really put together REALISTIC costs of full end race kits. And to be honest, i don't have any more concern than simple curiosity of doing something new. They told me i couldn't get a SUPRA TWIN TURBO setup into my Lexus, but that doesn't mean it was hard MUCH LESS cost effective. The EXPENSIVE ENGINE SWAPS are the one's that people buy in BULK, like the INTEGRA engines (for civics), SR20DET (JDM Nissan Turbo engine for USDM 240SXs). The 2ZZGE and 1NZFTE don't have any real demand market, meaning you could POTENTIALLY snag them FOR CHEAP!!

but, it's not fair to say that it would cost $5000 in fabrication. Only rich kids pay people to do their custom fabrication R&D. I will pay someone to do VERY SKILLED LABOR, but only after i measure and plan everything out. I've got 2 Nissan S13's sitting in my driveway with SR20DET engine swaps, I didn't spend more than $2100 on either, and I've had offers upwards of $6000 for each. Doing the mental work and research is 80% of the time you will spend tuning!! If not, you're just a poser in the scene. Just like those rich guys who go to car shows in Lamborghinis, Ferraris, etc. and can't tell you more about the car than what's in the sales brochure!!!! Spending cash is NOT what the scene is about...

oh, as far as a K20A with 6 speed transmission from 2005+ JDM Honda Integra Type R into a Civic goes, don't knock it until you try it. Currently it's the FASTEST CAR SCCA and NASA have ever scene (referring to the yellow EG civic that's owning everything in it's path). And, you COULD fully assemble one for less than $7000 (including car) if you are patient and resourceful (on ebay, craigslist, etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.). The K20A is about $6000 for the full swap, and thankfully motor mounts/wiring harnesses have become pretty cheap now that many companies have started making them. At first, Hasport was charging well over $1000 just for the motor mounts. but then again, they put A LOT of R&D into those M.Mounts, so it was justified. Now, you can pick up a set for about $300. go figure.

$7000 for a vehicle that WILL OWN nearly everything short of Hayabusas/ZX-14s on the streets WHILE MAINTAINING STOCK HONDA RELIABILITY. Or would it be better to spend $35000 on an STi because it requires no custom work....but i digress...

Last edited by TRD_Yaris; 07-29-2006 at 03:37 AM.
TRD_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 07:00 AM   #78
soros151

I agree with you on EVERYTHING. You could easily see a car that does mid 13's all night long and costed you a Max of let's say $20,000 or on the other hand buy and EVO and pay $35,000 just to own from factory, which for me is a little dull and boring.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:12 PM   #79
weaponrcamry

Drives: Camry LE/Yaris Hatch 5spd
Yea it would be good to swap the 6-speed during highway use but not at a drag strip or so. Why? Because you wont even see 6th gear. Most people will be in 4th or 5th. Also, most people would be on a budget, so the 1zz would be the most choice. and the most reliabilty. The 2zz would be a hell of a all motor, but not worth turboing. Those engines are known to blow up especially if you over rev them. I know most people will over rev to see how high the rpm's go, and dam sure they wont go over 10,000 rpm with reliability. The 2zz is not a honda engine... and doesnt have the reliablity to go that high. One other thing if you turbo the 2zz it will be at a mild boost . While the 1zz will handle MORE BOOST. Also on the matrix xrs, and the corolla xrs toyota lowered their redline so they wont blow the FuDge up.. Anyway the 1zz is alot stronger than the 2zz. The 1zz has been around longer that 2zz. And can handle more boost than the 2zz in stock form. More torque for the 1zz than 2zz also. Bottom line 2zz-for freeway/highway driving and 1zz-for drag strip racing. :?????????????? As a know fact that has been used for years, more money more problems............ And you will burn
weaponrcamry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 01:21 PM   #80
Drummerdawgmr-s

Drives: 2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Send a message via AIM to Drummerdawgmr-s Send a message via MSN to Drummerdawgmr-s Send a message via Yahoo to Drummerdawgmr-s
the 2zz's make no tq... the stock 2zz dont make any more tq than the 1zz does which is a downside in my eyes...i know were messing with high reving small motors but i would still like a decent balance....the 1zz has been boosted to 15 psi (around 350hp) before it actually blew and that on a completely stock motor plus hass turbo kit....and the stock hass stg 2 kit that boost 8 psi at 266rwhp/240tq...they have a kit for the 2zz mr-s but i dont remember the specs on it...i belive just testing/maxing it out it was like 350 hp and like 230 tq which is still alot but i like a better balance than that which the 1zz gives
Drummerdawgmr-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 02:11 PM   #81
weaponrcamry

Drives: Camry LE/Yaris Hatch 5spd
More boost-more power 1zz
Less boost less power-2zz.

Im not trying to diss the 2zz or nothing but, they arent good for turboing in my opinion. There are better of as all motors.
Also looking on the toysport site the 2zz had alot of problems. "Bent valves from miss shifts", so you dont want to do that, but of course everyone miss shifts in a while.
But the 1zz, would be a better component for turboing especially when you are talking about a less reving engine and aren't worried about detination, and at the same time you still have the reliability of an average car. I havent seen many turboed 2zz's around. But more 1zz turbo cars. It would be good to run a 2zz with low boost, but better when you have more boost with the 1zz. :)

Read and learn :O
http://www.toysport.com/Technical%20...tech_notes.htm

Last edited by weaponrcamry; 07-29-2006 at 02:53 PM.
weaponrcamry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:59 PM   #82
soros151

So we agree that an All Motor 2ZZ Yaris package will own the strip doing mid 13's. :P
Old 08-04-2006, 12:17 AM   #83
RoninMax

Drives: Yaris 3 Dr, AE86
I dont know about the The 2zz since my friend is trying to put on to his 2000Echo. (the original swap is made in Hong Kong to fight the Mugen Fit (K20 in the Honda Fit) But if you want a 6 Speed on a Echo to maid to 1NZFE, I did drove one. I think every one know the Yaris/Echo is using C150 series tran. My friend using the C160 6 speed from a AE111 internal maid on the C150 tran with LSD. when I drive his 6 speed Echo, The car is response faster and Yes, I can use all the 6 gears even on the street. It is much closer ratio since the gear ratio is for a 1.6 4AGE instead of The C60 for the 1.8 2zz (6 speed for celica ZZ231). if you want the 6 speed Yaris while using 1NZFE, I think this is the only solution in the real live. Maybe when my friend get done on his 2zz echo, I can post some of the info in this forum.
Industry, CA 91746
626-961-6284
626-369-4418
RoninMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 02:10 AM   #84
bulldogs2k

Drives: '00 s2000, 2007 yaris hatch
k20 fit!!!! that should be fun. they k20 should make up for its mini van looks.
A
bulldogs2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 10:12 PM   #85
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by soros151
I agree with you on EVERYTHING. You could easily see a car that does mid 13's all night long and costed you a Max of let's say $20,000 or on the other hand buy and EVO and pay $35,000 just to own from factory, which for me is a little dull and boring.
actually, a CRX with stock K20A and KPRO tuning ran an 11.3 FOR IT's FIRST RACE!!! and this is a BONE STOCK MOTOR!!! it is capable of sub-10's with more R&D and a few tweaks to the K20A. Pac Man's white/black EF ownz.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:18 PM   #86
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMax
I dont know about the The 2zz since my friend is trying to put on to his 2000Echo. (the original swap is made in Hong Kong to fight the Mugen Fit (K20 in the Honda Fit) But if you want a 6 Speed on a Echo to maid to 1NZFE, I did drove one. I think every one know the Yaris/Echo is using C150 series tran. My friend using the C160 6 speed from a AE111 internal maid on the C150 tran with LSD. when I drive his 6 speed Echo, The car is response faster and Yes, I can use all the 6 gears even on the street. It is much closer ratio since the gear ratio is for a 1.6 4AGE instead of The C60 for the 1.8 2zz (6 speed for celica ZZ231). if you want the 6 speed Yaris while using 1NZFE, I think this is the only solution in the real live. Maybe when my friend get done on his 2zz echo, I can post some of the info in this forum.

and, just because you're not going to "GET" to use the 6th gear on the 1/4 mile doesn't mean it's worthless. How about high speed racing, like turbo launching on the highway?? How about a dual purpose street/strip car where you ACTUALLY want to get good gas mileage when driving to the track?
And, like Ronin states above, there is a certain amount of "swappability" between the different engines/trannies. Why not a turbo 1ZZFE with 6 speed and LSD from 2ZZGE setup ?
Old 08-05-2006, 11:49 PM   #87
soros151

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMax
Pleaaase post some info on this. Very interested.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:23 AM   #88
flow-vitz
flow-vitz

Drives: ncp91
Send a message via Yahoo to flow-vitz
yo guys,
i just got a ncp91 few months back. Had some job done on it. trd full exhaust and header, trd cluch and flywheel,c-one pulley,trd suspension,trd quick shift, trd wheels, tm work spark firing system, hks plugs and hks intake system.thinking of a charger but not sure which one.
flow-vitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 08:23 AM   #89
soros151

Sounds good, looks to me like 23whp increasement, or at least in that range.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:54 AM   #90
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
I know zilch about import engines and swaps (This is the first import ive owned - muscle cars have been more my style) but im assuming the same would apply as old school big blocks etc.

If you spend all that dough to get the Yaris to run 13s and can take on stock imports / domestics of a higher caliber wouldnt you eventually do the same with say the Subaru WRX or Sti? to run with bigger boys? I mean if your going to mod anyway, and chances are most of you on these sites are going to no matter what ride they have. Eventually your Subaru (or whatever) is running tight with a Vette. Seems youll always be trying to one-up no matter what you got...

That being said I cant aford to buy a 50grand subaru so dropping some cash into a small car to make it that quick would be awsome. That has been the formula for my 70 chev pickup and my former Camaro, build a big block for cheap and kill anything else at the lights.
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote