Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-16-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
annn
ヤリスワールド

Drives: 2008 HB
have problem ! Installed tokico/eiback springs

I installed tokico hts reds and eiback pro kit springs ....the hats sit up way to high ? they were flush ? how can i fix this ? also front is a bit lower than rear is this normal or a issue with hats ? thanks

annn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:06 PM   #2
annn
ヤリスワールド

No noise on test ride and car is super tight...car has all the gtspec under braces,hts tokico reds,prokit springs,but the silly hats ruin it all ...as its just not right..imo

I thought the pro kits were 1.0" drop front and rear...its a bit more than 1 inch but i like it overall !

its just the hats that have me concerned...my wife plans to race this car next year for fun and i cant do things half ass...someone must know whats up with this issue ?
Old 12-16-2010, 05:11 PM   #3
DARK AGE 53

Drives: 2009 Yaris Onyx
there's been a lot of threads about this , most guys here say it's normal but I disagree with that....... I don't remember anyone saying why it happens.
DARK AGE 53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:44 PM   #4
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
You entered a post in a recent thread http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32251 and then turn around and create a new identical thread!

What new answers do you really expect to find?
Old 12-16-2010, 06:56 PM   #5
annn
ヤリスワールド

This NOT normal is a mistake and I going to find out what it is... The other thread was full of mis info....their is no way that a 1/2 inch of up and down play is "normal" if the car is lifted the cap/hat goes to normal flush postion .

When not lifited hat is up as in pics... I think it maybe that it's just not truly tight ... I am looking into it ...

Don't belive that this is correct... It allows play in the strut and well the factory is not going to do this .

Before I started my caps were flush and tight to car strut tower, after mod they are not flush... I made some mistake it's NOT correct !
Old 12-16-2010, 09:31 PM   #6
WeeYari

Did you look at the picture of my top hat that is linked to in the other thread? This was taken before any suspension mods were done. You did not make a mistake.

I've subsequently lowered vehicle for summer and raised it again for winter. Everything gets torqued to spec and double checked. The gap always remains.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:35 PM   #7
DARK AGE 53

Drives: 2009 Yaris Onyx
annn, I totally agree, if this is considered normal then it sucks. I'm not saying there's not a problem here but let's say it is what it is, I've got a possibility for a fix. What about having a slightly thicker machined piece of aluminum ( like a big washer ) to fill the gap, with a slightly thicker piece it will allow the top hat to fit tight against tower. Just a thought.
DARK AGE 53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:07 PM   #8
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
its normal to have a gap.

ive swapped my suspension in and out a half dozen times for different setups and the gap is ALWAYS there
Old 12-17-2010, 12:04 AM   #9
annn
ヤリスワールド

I thought about a few large washers to fill the "gap" ...

that gap allows a hammer effect it can not be normal.

I think the problem is caused by to much preload on the spring assy... I am calling eibach and a few other "experts" I will find the answer.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:31 AM   #10
WeeYari

Quote:
Originally Posted by annn View Post
The other thread was full of mis info....
And what exactly is the mis info you speak of?

Quote:
Before I started my caps were flush and tight to car strut tower, after mod they are not flush...
I would really love to see a picture of them sitting flush. Do you have any old engine bay shots?

I've viewed some of your other posts looking for some. The pictures you have of your hood scoop airflow mod appear to be cropped at the sides. Do you have those original pics?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bill_101509 195.jpg (35.2 KB, 267 views)

Last edited by WeeYari; 12-17-2010 at 09:24 AM.
WeeYari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:38 AM   #11
marlondog
Shut your fricken suck!!!

Drives: 07' liftback
Don't worry about it! I've had a couple of springs changed out on both stock and Tokico shocks,I noticed right away that the top hats on the shocks weren't flushed with the engine bay. Your car will be fine. If you have an obsession with things being "perfect" on this car, you will spend too much money and time worrying about stupid shit. Believe me, I know.
marlondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:56 AM   #12
annn
ヤリスワールド

I should have a bay pic... I will look .. Good thought
Old 12-17-2010, 02:40 PM   #13
kou

Drives: 08 lb
Normal thats how its supposed to be,the weight of the car keeps the top of the strut in place.The rubber mount underneath is formed to fit tight.Be happy you dont have a VW Golf the strut tops are always pointing in different directions.
kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:45 PM   #14
annn
ヤリスワールド

ok i think we can kill this.....i called eibach,a guy a know who has done susp work for years and tokico..

The best way to say whats going on is that,when the yaris is stock and has no weight in car the "hats" are flush but when weight is added to the car,i.e. persons... the hats raise.

A lowering spring has the same effect as added weight, the car lowers,and the hat raises.

so to 100% kill this .....if a person took a pic of a 100% stock yaris and the hats are flush with no weight in car and then took a pic with 2 people in car the hats should be raised....thats the pic proof imo to prove whats normal.

I never thought anyone was right one way or another... it is a weird system IMO still...but THANK YOU ALL....MAYBE WE CAN KILL this yaris mystery.

I guess the newer camaro guys have this same issue also....
Old 12-17-2010, 05:16 PM   #15
WeeYari

Oops, my bad...

I completely forgot about the six 50lb bags of potatoes that were in my car when I took the top hat pic when 100% stock. Toyo dealer also had 2 crash test dummies sitting in the showroom vehicles. Forgot about that as well.

It all sounds good in theory, but just is not the case with the Yaris.

Carefull, your close to spilling your own mis info now.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:38 PM   #16
annn
ヤリスワールド

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Oops, my bad...

I completely forgot about the six 50lb bags of potatoes that were in my car when I took the top hat pic when 100% stock. Toyo dealer also had 2 crash test dummies sitting in the showroom vehicles. Forgot about that as well.

It all sounds good in theory, but just is not the case with the Yaris.

Carefull, your close to spilling your own mis info now.

Not all true bro.... Their still is the fact that when I started this mod the hats was flush... I am the one who did the work and both were so tight that the Nubs were embedded in the paint...so explain why then were my hats flush ????
Old 12-17-2010, 11:22 PM   #17
Maitre_Te_Te

Drives: Yaris 08
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARK AGE 53 View Post
there's been a lot of threads about this , most guys here say it's normal but I disagree with that....... I don't remember anyone saying why it happens.
I have this gap on my car and I have compare with a brand new car (I work for Toyota) and a new car have this gap. This is not a trouble, this is ok.
Maitre_Te_Te is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:33 PM   #18
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Quote:
Not all true bro.... Their still is the fact that when I started this mod the hats was flush... I am the one who did the work and both were so tight that the Nubs were embedded in the paint...so explain why then were my hats flush ????
was the car in the air when you had "no gap"?