Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-23-2013, 09:12 PM   #37
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
I used to tell some people who I saw and assumed would be interested. Seeing less people like those now. Then again, all just my assumption. lol
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:12 PM   #38
07liftback

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
It's probably cause most people who have a Yaris aren't too crazy about modding it and what not. It's a reliable car from the factory and not much is required to make it more comfortable, more appealing, or more sporty. It's a nice little zippy car around town but there's no need to be throwing in forced induction, roll cages, full cat back systems, etc.

It's a daily driver for most of us and so at most people would grab rims, MAYBE some overpriced leather seat covers, maybe some coilovers, and that's pretty much it. Going too far with the mods tend to defeat the purpose of having a reliable, comfortable, and economical daily driver.
07liftback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:26 PM   #39
Kaotic Lazagna

There are those who mod their cars because they want it to fit more like their personality. For some, they like the size and weight of the Yaris, but feel it needs a little more power, so they use some type of force induction. Roll cages is an added safety feature for those who track/auto-x their Yaris. Full cat-back exhaust, well...that can go both ways. lol. My resonator back wasn't that much more than a "custom" axle-back, so why not.

Leather seat covers can add to the appeal for some, as they enter their Yaris at car shows.

Going further with mods just (hopefully) grabs the attention of Toyota. I mean, look at how the Type R cars from Honda, the WRX/STi from Subaru, the EVO from Mitsubishi, and the Neon SRT-4 came about. People were modding the Civic/Integra, Impreza, Lancer, and Neons like crazy, and the manufacturers took noticed and offered a sport version of each car mentioned.

Also, if done properly, the car won't be any less reliable, comfortable, or economical. Note, that I did say if done properly. LOL
Old 07-23-2013, 11:28 PM   #40
Kaotic Lazagna

But yeah, the far majority of Yaris owners probably wouldn't bother with modding their cars and solely bought it for an A to B transportation vehicle.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:14 PM   #41
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
My modding days are long gone, and I will drive my Yaris sedan until one of us drops; so far, so good for both of us. Now that I have some real tires on it (!), no one passes me on windy roads, tire spin is still available, and I always get growls from other owners when I tell them what fuel mileage I still get. What else could a guy ask from a cheap car??
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:44 AM   #42
07liftback

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
There are those who mod their cars because they want it to fit more like their personality. For some, they like the size and weight of the Yaris, but feel it needs a little more power, so they use some type of force induction. Roll cages is an added safety feature for those who track/auto-x their Yaris. Full cat-back exhaust, well...that can go both ways. lol. My resonator back wasn't that much more than a "custom" axle-back, so why not.

Leather seat covers can add to the appeal for some, as they enter their Yaris at car shows.

Going further with mods just (hopefully) grabs the attention of Toyota. I mean, look at how the Type R cars from Honda, the WRX/STi from Subaru, the EVO from Mitsubishi, and the Neon SRT-4 came about. People were modding the Civic/Integra, Impreza, Lancer, and Neons like crazy, and the manufacturers took noticed and offered a sport version of each car mentioned.

Also, if done properly, the car won't be any less reliable, comfortable, or economical. Note, that I did say if done properly. LOL
Yea, it's the main reason why I have an old Miata NA for the weekends. I can mod it as much as I want since I have a reliable daily driver. With that car I can add a roll bar/cage without it killing the practicality of the car, add some bucket seats, racing harness, supercharger/turbo system, option to use hard top or go top down, coilovers, fender roll with some much wider tires or fender cutting with fender flares.

Yes, the more people who mod a certain car, the more likely the aftermarket part manufacturers will grow and profit. The thing with modding a Yaris is that it defeats it's true purpose which is practicality. Adding a roll cage for instance will take away 3 seats you could've had for passengers. At the end of the day, it will still be front wheel drive and probably not the best platform to mod.
07liftback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:12 AM   #43
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
Quote:
But yeah, the far majority of Yaris owners probably wouldn't bother with modding their cars and solely bought it for an A to B transportation vehicle.
I am one of those who will not be modding my Yaris. I was purely looking for a small car that was great on gas & fun to drive...definitely a perfect point A to B car for me.
I DO like to read about & see the photos of the cars people have modded here. Has really given me some ideas...Will most likely get new wheels down the line. I'll be keeping this car until I die, so I'm sure I will get some cool alloy wheels eventually. I would really like to get a rear sway bar one of these months, I am sure I will eventually - I know it would be a great investment & make the car drive more solid & sure. I need to write Garm @ micro image (I believe) and see if they'll have anymore rear sways in stock -
This forum is a very good place to learn tips & trick in regards to the car. I will try my best to be a regular contributor.
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #44
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
I had 12k (probably 50-100 posts per day) before the hack
The Hack?? when was this and why would it affect the frequency of some one posting?..
Old 07-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #45
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07liftback View Post
Yea, it's the main reason why I have an old Miata NA for the weekends. I can mod it as much as I want since I have a reliable daily driver. With that car I can add a roll bar/cage without it killing the practicality of the car, add some bucket seats, racing harness, supercharger/turbo system, option to use hard top or go top down, coilovers, fender roll with some much wider tires or fender cutting with fender flares.

Yes, the more people who mod a certain car, the more likely the aftermarket part manufacturers will grow and profit. The thing with modding a Yaris is that it defeats it's true purpose which is practicality. Adding a roll cage for instance will take away 3 seats you could've had for passengers. At the end of the day, it will still be front wheel drive and probably not the best platform to mod.
Miata (and majority of 2-seater convertibles) and practicality doesn't go together

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on convertibles, my first car was an NA1 (the edition with the tan interior). Had a 3 (or was it 4) point bar and some other goodies, but I wouldn't consider it a very practical car. lol. But I get what you're saying...taking away from its intended purpose. I guess it's like trying to some how add two additional seats to a Miata

Anywho, also gotta keep in mind that some people do not either have the finances and/or the space to have multiple cars. I am one of those people who fits into both categories.

So we make due with what we have. And just for the record, I'm actually long done modding mine. I'm just swapping her shoes every now and then (and it's actually been a long while [for my record] since I've done that).

Pics of the NA???
Old 07-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #46
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by yougojay View Post
I am one of those who will not be modding my Yaris. I was purely looking for a small car that was great on gas & fun to drive...definitely a perfect point A to B car for me.
I DO like to read about & see the photos of the cars people have modded here. Has really given me some ideas...Will most likely get new wheels down the line. I'll be keeping this car until I die, so I'm sure I will get some cool alloy wheels eventually. I would really like to get a rear sway bar one of these months, I am sure I will eventually - I know it would be a great investment & make the car drive more solid & sure. I need to write Garm @ micro image (I believe) and see if they'll have anymore rear sways in stock -
This forum is a very good place to learn tips & trick in regards to the car. I will try my best to be a regular contributor.
Nothing wrong with keeping your Yaris as an A to B car

That was my original intentions for the car...but the mod bug bit me.

You can get a RSB and some rims/tires (stick to 15's since you won't be lowering it, larger rims on a non lowered car looks odd to me) and call it a day. It'll help with highway wandering of the car and makes it feel less like a boat on hard cornering.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #47
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The Hack?? when was this and why would it affect the frequency of some one posting?..
Some member got all mad (I think it all originated from a plastic dip stick thread), and went all crazy on the forum. He basically got a hold of A LOT of people's accounts. So the forum was reverted to an earlier date, which meant people lost lots of posts, some members went back to never existing, etc. As for how often I post, I just lost interest in posting much anywhere afterwards. I think others felt the same as more and more OG's don't post anymore.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:13 PM   #48
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Quote:
Nothing wrong with keeping your Yaris as an A to B car

That was my original intentions for the car...but the mod bug bit me.

You can get a RSB and some rims/tires (stick to 15's since you won't be lowering it, larger rims on a non lowered car looks odd to me) and call it a day. It'll help with highway wandering of the car and makes it feel less like a boat on hard cornering.
I've always liked to keep cars stock looking, just a personal preference. I want to get some 'plain' looking alloy wheels for it eventually, leaning towards the look of the stock 2008 Yaris alloy wheels. I'll get a rear sway bar by next Spring I am sure, would make a nice Christmas present
Old 07-25-2013, 07:44 PM   #49
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
I've always liked to keep cars stock looking, just a personal preference. I want to get some 'plain' looking alloy wheels for it eventually, leaning towards the look of the stock 2008 Yaris alloy wheels. I'll get a rear sway bar by next Spring I am sure, would make a nice Christmas present
Everyone has their own preferences

Everyone should be allowed to enjoy their cars how they want to, and not according to someone else standards. That also goes for buying cars as I keep seeing comments on Yahoo that say, "Buy American this, buy American that." It's my money, and I'd buy what ever I please. /rant
Old 07-25-2013, 11:29 PM   #50
Chuck G

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
My modding days are long gone, and I will drive my Yaris sedan until one of us drops; so far, so good for both of us. Now that I have some real tires on it (!), no one passes me on windy roads, tire spin is still available, and I always get growls from other owners when I tell them what fuel mileage I still get. What else could a guy ask from a cheap car??
Now you have me curious as to which tires you have?
Chuck G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #51
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Hankook summers, Tiger Paw winters. After my wife died, I didn't have the energy or enthusiasm to change out the winters. Now I'm looking for a set of rims for the Hankooks to ease the effort of changing over. I'm quite surprised at how well the winters stick when I'm enjoying the local roads (some are paved-over cow trails established in the 1880s), but I don't play as much as I used to...
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #52
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Quote:
Everyone has their own preferences

Everyone should be allowed to enjoy their cars how they want to, and not according to someone else standards. That also goes for buying cars as I keep seeing comments on Yahoo that say, "Buy American this, buy American that." It's my money, and I'd buy what ever I please. /rant
Yes, People here have aquired their cars many different ways, under different circumstances. I do 'kringe' at what some modders have done to their cars (we won't get into details ) BUT, to each their own!
As for buy American - My house is filled with American made stuff - I had always driven American made cars, not anymore. After years of hearing about & seeing the reliability of a Toyota...I'm giving in & getting one. SO glad I did. Tired of crap going wrong with a vehicle at 40 or 50 thousand miles. Over it, end of ran`tage -

Another cool change on my Yaris eventually will be giving LED interior/exterior bulds a try. They look COOL and last forever from what I've read/heard. SO - Eventually: Rear Sway Bar, Alloy wheels, LED light bulbs -
Received: WeatherTech Front & Rear Floor Liners, these are awesome!
Old 07-26-2013, 05:02 PM   #53
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Yes, People here have aquired their cars many different ways, under different circumstances. I do 'kringe' at what some modders have done to their cars (we won't get into details ) BUT, to each their own!
As for buy American - My house is filled with American made stuff - I had always driven American made cars, not anymore. After years of hearing about & seeing the reliability of a Toyota...I'm giving in & getting one. SO glad I did. Tired of crap going wrong with a vehicle at 40 or 50 thousand miles. Over it, end of ran`tage -

Another cool change on my Yaris eventually will be giving LED interior/exterior bulds a try. They look COOL and last forever from what I've read/heard. SO - Eventually: Rear Sway Bar, Alloy wheels, LED light bulbs -
Really, that bad at reliability? I wouldn't not buy an American car as I figured maintenance is just a little more, umm, to the T, but wow, 40k-50k and problems started already. Ouch.

Make sure you get good quality LEDs. I've had to replace two of the LEDs I've put into my HVAC controls already (I had some cheap, cheap spare LEDs).
Old 07-26-2013, 10:44 PM   #54
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Eventually: Rear Sway Bar, Alloy wheels, LED light bulbs -
Hey Jay,

Just put WeatherTechs in mine, too. I live in a dusty/muddy rural area and they are so easy to keep clean because there's nothing for the dirt to stick to.

You'll love the handling with a rear sway bar. The TRD bar is especially nice because it doesn't hang down and nicely tucks up into the hollow of the rear suspension cross member.

tooter is offline   Reply With Quote