Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-20-2016, 09:38 PM   #55
brushforhire

Drives: 07 HB YARIS, 15 JUKE, 00 TUNDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmstrongRacing View Post
Good work man, don't forget to swap the SL solenoid pin at the ecm also!
I though that was only if you used the Corolla harness. I am using the XD harness.
brushforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:50 PM   #56
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Drives: That Scrappy 2zrVios
Ohhhhh I missed that, my bad. Carry on sir!
ArmstrongRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:03 AM   #57
brushforhire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmstrongRacing View Post
Ohhhhh I missed that, my bad. Carry on sir!
Whew, had me a little nervous there at first, LoL.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:36 PM   #58
3cyltrbo

Drives: MR2 Spyd/Type R/Yaris/Civic Si
Thank you for taking the time to document all this.

Just like a few others have done, its a huge service and benefit to the Yaris community.

Thank you

Will

p.s..... for anyone else out there considering a Manual 2zrfe swap, I'm waiting for your DIY
3cyltrbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:47 PM   #59
brushforhire

I am hoping after this is done, to start a new clean thread with everything in some kind of order, so it can be stickied. I got my axles, control arms, knuckles, calipers, rotors, pads all on. Exhaust is in the transit! ETA is Monday. Hoping to do a how to install on that. I know with being a long tube design, that was one of my biggest things, trying to find if I needed to wait to put my engine in, or if it will fit after the fact. It should fit right in with my engine already back in.

I can't thank Armstrongracing enough for being supportive and really figuring out the hard parts of this swap!
Old 03-22-2016, 07:33 PM   #60
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3cyltrbo View Post
..... for anyone else out there considering a Manual 2zrfe swap, I'm waiting for your DIY
I will be converting to a manual transmission next year some time so Ill post up a diy on that too for you guys.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:36 PM   #61
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushforhire View Post
.... Exhaust is in the transit! ETA is Monday. Hoping to do a how to install on that. I know with being a long tube design, that was one of my biggest things, trying to find if I needed to wait to put my engine in, or if it will fit after the fact. It should fit right in with my engine already back in.

I can't thank Armstrongracing enough for being supportive and really figuring out the hard parts of this swap!
No problem man, we all teach each other something! Im also waiting on the header, so hopefully you are able to squeeze it in there!
Old 03-23-2016, 12:54 PM   #62
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
Quote:
I am hoping after this is done, to start a new clean thread with everything in some kind of order, so it can be stickied. I got my axles, control arms, knuckles, calipers, rotors, pads all on. Exhaust is in the transit! ETA is Monday. Hoping to do a how to install on that. I know with being a long tube design, that was one of my biggest things, trying to find if I needed to wait to put my engine in, or if it will fit after the fact. It should fit right in with my engine already back in.

If your long tube is anything like the one I built for myself, or Jason. You should be able to get it in the car by pulling the dogbone and shifting the engine enough to slide it down.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:56 PM   #63
brushforhire

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamerxx View Post
If your long tube is anything like the one I built for myself, or Jason. You should be able to get it in the car by pulling the dogbone and shifting the engine enough to slide it down.
From what I read in another forum, RPM stated that it was designed so it will just slide up from the underside. I hope this is the case.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:14 PM   #64
brushforhire

So I received my RPM header and midpipe.

I have some mixed feeling about their product.

First the good:
The header is fantastic. Well made, and assembled. Coating seems durable.
20160328_154942.jpg
20160328_155021.jpg

Now onto everything else:
The midpipe is well made, but it is actually a two piece system. The pictures on fastscions and everywhere else show it to look like one piece. If you look close enough you can see that there is infact a slip joint.
20160328_155138.jpg
20160328_155203.jpg

The packaging was horrible. All the pipes and parts were thrown into a box without any protection. The pipes were banging against each other and rubbing. Sad for $70+ in shipping charges.

They also made a mistake and forgot to weld on the hanger bars on the front portion of the midpipe. After talking with them, they are sending me a small refund, and I will just weld my own on.

The other thing I am trying to find out is how they expect me to connect the rear midpipe flange to the muffler flange. The factory using a pivoting ball gasket and they used a flat flange.

Now for the rough install:

From what I read they said that the header was designed so it would just twist and slip in from the bottom.

I am not sure if the xD has more clearance, but it does not work on the yaris:

tabissue.jpg
headerinstall.jpg
I had to cut down this tab:
tabcut.jpg

After much fighting and beating with a hammer I was able to get the tab to bend just enough to squeeze past the crossmember. Really scratched the heck out of the coating.

header1.jpg

header in.jpg

headertopview.jpg

I definitely recommend cutting that tab off altogether, or dropping the subframe. I did not want to drop mine because I installed whiteline caster bushings and they were a nightmare to get in.

The midpipe lines up beautifully.
No pics of that yet.
However you will need to lengthen the rear o2 sensor wires to make them reach the new o2 bung on the midpipe.

I installed the DC sports muffler from the xD and two hangars line up perfectly. DC sports has you take a floor grommet out on the xD, but on the yaris it is a different size and shape. So I will probably just bolt/weld a hanger to the floor of spare tire well.

The DC muffler is also alot longer, so it sticks out a bit.

muffler.jpg

Overall I love the header, but would recommend getting a custom midpipe made, or making one yourself.

I will keep you all updated on this install process of this.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:35 PM   #65
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
For a "new" product that mid pipe looks beat to hell.

Thanks for the update. If I ever do this install down the road i'll b skipping the mid pipe and building my own. I like the header but that mid pipe is garbage for the money it costs.

How essential is that tab that you recommend cutting of?
Old 03-29-2016, 03:54 PM   #66
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
That's a shame to hear that there's so many issues with the purchase overall.

What's the midpipe diameter? I've got a custom res-back to axle-back bent section of 2.5" that I haven't installed yet. I bought it for the Blitz S/C setup, but I'm worried about losing too much back pressure on the NA motor. It would also save me the cost of the midpipe and shipping.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:55 PM   #67
brushforhire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
For a "new" product that mid pipe looks beat to hell.

Thanks for the update. If I ever do this install down the road i'll b skipping the mid pipe and building my own. I like the header but that mid pipe is garbage for the money it costs.

How essential is that tab that you recommend cutting of?
Honestly, not real sure what the tab is for. My engine doesn't have any corresponding mounting brackets. Not to say they shouldn't be there.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:55 PM   #68
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Sad....Im glad I didn't order the midpipe. The tab on the header should be for the support bracket for the header
Old 03-30-2016, 05:33 AM   #69
beaker

Drives: 07 Yaris 3 door
In all fairness to the header manufacturer on the fitment, we are trying to use a header/mid-pipe on a different car than what it was intended for. Doesn't look like any major fabrication to make it work. My only concern would be the flange for the muffler to mid-pipe. The slip joint on the mid-pipe is actually a good thing for this experiment, gives you a little more flexibility in fitment.
beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:59 AM   #70
brushforhire

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaker View Post
In all fairness to the header manufacturer on the fitment, we are trying to use a header/mid-pipe on a different car than what it was intended for. Doesn't look like any major fabrication to make it work. My only concern would be the flange for the muffler to mid-pipe. The slip joint on the mid-pipe is actually a good thing for this experiment, gives you a little more flexibility in fitment.
They had been advertising all over other forums and the internet that it is for the Yaris TS. So once I put the 2zrfe engine into my car, it is basically the same thing, so it should fit exactly the same.

That being said, I dunno if they actually sold a midpipe and header to any actual Yaris TS owners.

The slip joint isn't really needed honestly, but not really hurting anything either, I just like a sealed exhaust pipe.

In regards to the rear flange they told me most people are just using high temp silicone, which worries me. They are sending me a regular gasket that is supposed to work, so I will keep you all updated on that.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:11 AM   #71
beaker

Drives: 07 Yaris 3 door
Quote:
They had been advertising all over other forums and the internet that it is for the Yaris TS. So once I put the 2zrfe engine into my car, it is basically the same thing, so it should fit exactly the same.

That being said, I dunno if they actually sold a midpipe and header to any actual Yaris TS owners.

The slip joint isn't really needed honestly, but not really hurting anything either, I just like a sealed exhaust pipe.

In regards to the rear flange they told me most people are just using high temp silicone, which worries me. They are sending me a regular gasket that is supposed to work, so I will keep you all updated on that.
The flat gasket will work, you will just have to grind the flange on the muffler side flat, where originally the "half donut" gasket would fit. The should be a protrusion on the flange that holds the original style gasket in place. Or, I may be wrong in thinking the ball is on the muffler side, if it originally was on the mid pipe side, then just use the gasket. I wouldn't use silicone.

If you don't like the slip joint, just put some tack welds on it once you get everything fitted and clamped, pull it down and weld it up.

As for sliding the header on once the cross member and engine are in place, sounds like for others planning on doing this, it would be better to install the header onto the engine prior to installing the engine in the car.

Last edited by beaker; 03-30-2016 at 06:21 AM.
beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:22 AM   #72
brushforhire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
That's a shame to hear that there's so many issues with the purchase overall.

What's the midpipe diameter? I've got a custom res-back to axle-back bent section of 2.5" that I haven't installed yet. I bought it for the Blitz S/C setup, but I'm worried about losing too much back pressure on the NA motor. It would also save me the cost of the midpipe and shipping.
The inner diameter of the midpipe is 2" and the outside is 2.25" as per my digital caliper.