Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Canada
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-15-2010, 07:26 PM   #199
DuckHunt

Drives: 2007 & 2008 Yaris Sedans
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiliaZ View Post
As one poster suggested, perhaps when the 09's reach the three year mark, this will become a recall issue since all of the 09's are automatically equipped with abs. Too bad for the rest of us.
It doesn't take three years to see the problem. I've had three fail in under three years on mine two Yaris. My 2008 had one fail at 10 months.

The problem will not be present in 2009 models. Per the TSB-0120-08 Toyota corrected the problem in late 2008 models with an improved connector on the rear wheel speed sensors. The problem occurs in 2007 and 2008 Sedans and Hatchbacks. The previous part number was 89544-52040. The new sensor part number is 89544-02070. The wiring is unchanged. The connector improvement is on the sensor itself.

I've filed three complaints with our nhtsa.gov in hopes to increase awareness. Toyota is aware of the design issue, and they have a fix for it. My complaint is that they are charging us consumers for the repair action when this poor design fails. I will have paid $1700 US for two of the three repairs because my cars mileage are beyond the warranty period.

DuckHunt
DuckHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:28 AM   #200
Tamara

Drives: 2007 Five door Yaris hatchback
OK! We need to be stirring the pot with this. I have been in contact with my steal-ership and theyre now offering up 300bucks towards the fix, and Toyota Canada is willing to chip in a bit too...HOWEVER, since I will be bringing my car to my local mechanic, as he was willing to attempt the cleaning fixes that are recommanded throughout this site (which WORKED for my left rear sensor, but my right rear sensor is still f'd), Toyota is not willing to chip in towards the parts or service as its not being performed by their overpriced inexperienced mechanics. So, we need to push Toyota Canada to do a campaign to have all Yaris's brought in and either have the connectors on the ABS harness cleaned/replaced, and/or have the company engineers design a better cover to protect these VERY sensitive circuits from our harsh Canadian climates to prevent them from corroiding.

Come on Toyota....fix this problem before we make it become a safety recall. You admit it yourselves on your website that ABS is better...and we did pay extra for it.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:52 PM   #201
lwight
I've made a post!

Drives: Toyota Yaris
My Yaris is an October 07 model that I've had for a year this month. I've been having the same problems as the rest of you I think!!

In December we got real bad snow and ice here and as I left home to join the main road in rush hour traffic my brakes failed on me for the first time!! As the roads were really bad and I was going down a slight incline to get to the junction I had started to brake very early, just to make sure I would be able to stop OK. On my first attempt to brake nothing happened it just felt like the peddle wouldn't go down and I kept sliding forwards, second attempt I tried gentle slow pumping of the brakes and the same thing happened but with quite a bit of grating noise this time. The 3rd attempt was very scary as I knew by then I had no brakes and this was my last chance to stop the car but as I was going down a gentle slope the car was actually speeding up, at the last minute I decided not to cross the carriage way to go right but to turn left in the hope I would only get hit by one line of on coming traffic and not 2!!!! With my foot still trying to brake I also tried to steer left but the whole system seemed to go very stiff as if the power steering was off as well as the brakes, I ended up across the middle of the road having been unable to steer at all. Somehow even though the roads were bumper to bumper with traffic everyone had stopped and managed to avoid me but it left me feeling like a fool and very scared!!! My partner took my car out for a test drive a few days later (still in bad weather) and declared the brakes perfectly ok....so silly woman who has been driving everyday for 24 years just forgot how to drive was the theory I think!!! Next day I went out and the same thing happened luckily this time on a quiet road where it was not so much of a problem. I parked the car up and didn't drive it for 5 weeks until all the snow had cleared. In that time I drove my partners Jag with no problems in the snow!! When I got into my car again I noticed the ABS light was jammed on and stayed that way for 2 days then went off of it's own accord.

I've been driving the car now for about 6 weeks quite happily when 2 days ago the same thing happened to me but this time on a dry road which I noticed seemed to have quite a bit of loose gravel dropped on it for some reason. I came round a roundabout and down an incline and there was a queue of traffic, I was only doing about 25mph and it wasn't an emergency by any means, I went to brake and it was like I could only get the peddle to move maybe about 10% of the way down and it wouldn't go any further, there was loads of noise like crushing ice or coffee beans in a blender and I could also feel the noise coming through the peddle if that makes sense.....at the point where I thought I was going into the back of the car in front the brakes worked at last...and the ABS light stuck on. I took my car next day to the Toyota garage, they did the recall test while I was there and checked my brakes out and declared them perfect (their words) unfortunately the ABS light went off as I drove into the garage. They tried telling me it might just be the ABS kicking in but I know what ABS is like when it works and this isn't it!!!! So I got sent away and told just to keep an eye on them lol.....I'm now driving waiting for my next
near miss...well lets hope its another near miss and not an actual crash next time!!

I've been searching the internet and can't believe how many people are complaining and getting nowhere with Toyota...they must know something is seriously wrong here. I had my last Yaris for 7 year and never had any problems ever... which is why I decided to stick with the same when I renewed last year!! I just wish I had kept my old car now.

I will keep an eye on you guys and see if you can get anywhere with all of this xx
lwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:49 PM   #202
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
I have sent a complaint to Transport Canada as well as Toyota Canada but received no response from either.

My local dealer also told me I would have to pay full price to get this fixed, eff that.
devinlamothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:00 AM   #203
EmiliaZ

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckHunt View Post
It doesn't take three years to see the problem. I've had three fail in under three years on mine two Yaris. My 2008 had one fail at 10 months.

The problem will not be present in 2009 models. Per the TSB-0120-08 Toyota corrected the problem in late 2008 models with an improved connector on the rear wheel speed sensors. The problem occurs in 2007 and 2008 Sedans and Hatchbacks. The previous part number was 89544-52040. The new sensor part number is 89544-02070. The wiring is unchanged. The connector improvement is on the sensor itself.

DuckHunt

Wow, I had no clue the late 08's had the fix. Also, I cannot imagine being without the extended warranty at this time. It is ludicrous that Toyota is requiring people to pay for these inherent problems.
EmiliaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:57 PM   #204
mijemc

Drives: Yaris
Hej Onizuka
In Denmark Toyota calls the cars in to fix the gaspedals problems OK
How much does it kost for repair the gaspedals 1/2 our ?
How much does it kost for repair the ABS and VSC, 1/2 our, I dont think so, its kost a lot more.
Anyhow I have fix my ABS,VSC problem I have sold my Yaris, I look for another car to replace it, a Hyundai Getz 1,5 diesel. Hmm it is a ok car feels a littel old style, but it NOT a Yaris.
Anyway I ended up to bye a Toyota Yaris D4D from 2007 (26.000 km) in dark blue metalic color. It runs and feels like a new car.
I am a fool, I know, but I like to drive that car.

Michael Jensen from DK
mijemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:22 PM   #205
shohei
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 5 Door Yaris Hatch
Ditto

Glad i found this forum!

We have 2007 5 door hatch bought in Feb. 2008 and a few days ago my wife called to say she started the car and the ABS light stayed on. I said to just take it easy (have had some warmer weather so the roads have been clear) and we could just slip it off to our local mech (Since owning the car my wife has had 2 major ...um screw overs at the dealer) and he could identify which sensor was shot. Well yesterday she popped back into the house to say the emergency brake indicator was on too the (!). I said probably a side effect of driving with out ABS repaired for X amount of Kms.

Any who... I had Decided to see if there was something i could do about it on my own. Voila - I joined the masses here.

Im going to try the cleaning bit and see it that will help before shelling out any $$. Not that im cheap but i can handle most repairs..just do not have a garage at my disposal so sitting in the slop in the driveway is never appealing -but compared to the $$$ ive read about so far...its worth it.

Im going to add to the government complaint form as well.
shohei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:45 AM   #206
mijemc

Drives: Yaris
2007 Toyota Yaris D4D 1,4 diesel
Do anyone have the batterilamps(charge) and fuelfilterlamps on, in kold or vet condition.
My old Yaris from 2006 had this problem. Maybe my new Yaris from 2007 have the same problems.

Michael Jensen from DK
mijemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:08 PM   #207
Jake

Drives: 1997 Yaris Sedan
Did the cleaning

well, my brother in law was nice enough to do it.
He's a mechanic. He used a compressor and blew out the dirt and lubricated the sensor on both the left and right side.

Lights are off, then on, then off, like a christmas tree.
Each day is different.

He inspected my brakes as well and said they are good.

Just letting you know the fix doesn't always work.

thanks,
JB
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:37 PM   #208
devinlamothe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
well, my brother in law was nice enough to do it.
He's a mechanic. He used a compressor and blew out the dirt and lubricated the sensor on both the left and right side.

Lights are off, then on, then off, like a christmas tree.
Each day is different.

He inspected my brakes as well and said they are good.

Just letting you know the fix doesn't always work.

thanks,
JB
Yeah, it could be the actual wire harness that is the problem, getting corroded (aka bare wires being exposed or frayed).
Old 02-23-2010, 08:44 AM   #209
DJCrazyChris

Drives: Yaris Hatchback
Just called my dealer and the parts have arrived this AM, not even stocked on their shelves yet, but it will be fixed today....we'll see though.
DJCrazyChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:25 PM   #210
fidgell

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3 door
Been a while now since I did "the clean" and lights are still off even in our Barrie winter climate. I think if you catch it early enough its a good fix, if not the rot has already set in!
fidgell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:36 PM   #211
onizuka

Drives: Yaris Blk 5 Drs RS
CEO MR Toyoda is now at the hearing in Washington. I hope this serves as a big wake up call to all the Toyota execs from covering up potential defects. Act on it, recall this problem before we have to hear it again from CNN about this BS. I blame on the execs for not acting responsibility on it. Do you think Mr. Toyoda from Japan would over see everything that happens in North America...please...
onizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:06 AM   #212
Jake

Toyota's response to my complaint.

Dear Ms. Brown:

We are sorry you are having difficulties with respect to your 2007 Yaris' speed sensor.

Since your vehicle has over 100,000 km on the odometer, we would not be able to offer you financial assistance towards the repair, i.e. the 3 year/60,000 km New Vehicle Warranty expired over 40,000 km ago.

Thank you for writing.

Cynthia Charlebois
Customer Interaction Centre
toyota_feedback@toyota.ca
Old 02-25-2010, 09:10 AM   #213
Jake

My response back to Toyota

Helo Cynthia,

It warms my heart that you are sorry I am having difficulties. Yes, I have a lot of highway kms on my car, but it is less than three years old. I had to do a lot of highway driving recently because my mother had brain cancer last year.

So are you saying that Toyota will only replace the defective parts for those people lucky enough to have them fail during warranty? That's not very good customer service is it?

I will patiently wait along with the 600 and more people with backordered parts until Toyota is forced to address this and has to do another recall for defective parts.

It's just a matter of time before they will have to own up to the fact that they know the sensors and harnesses in the 2007 Yaris's are defective. In the meantime, I'm going to be as vocal as I can so that this problem is brought into public awareness because it is not normal wear and tear, very expensive to fix, there is more than one side to fix, the problem can happen repeatedly, and the consumer should not be paying for defective parts that Toyota knows are defective.

Also, this is not the only problem. The ABS brakes come on when they should not be coming on, but then I'm sure that Toyotos already know this. People's safety is also at risk here, it's not just the money.

Please see the pdf of the technical service Bulletin that Toyota sent it's dealers on June 27, 2008 called T-SB-0120-08 ABS M.I.L. "ON" DTC C0210 or C0215 that I have attached for you.

It quotes " Some 2007- 2008 model year Yaris vehicles may exhibit an ABS M.I.L. "ON" condition with either one or both of the following Diagnostic Trouble Codes. (They KNOW about his problem)

Then goes on to say "The sealing performance of the rear wheel sensor connectors has been improved to address this condition. Use the following repair procedure to diagnose and repair customer complaint vehicles.

Then of course goes on to say to only repair if under warrantee. Shame on Toyota!!! They make the rest of us pay for defective parts even though
they have come up with an improvement.

Thankyou,
Jackie
Old 02-26-2010, 02:00 AM   #214
mojoyaris
Ecurie Snoopy Lives

Drives: Jojo
I hate to say it. Toyota Canada and Lexus Canada have not been very friendly lately.
I was getting a bad runaround from the competition guys at Lexus and they can't even give me a straight answer! Really!

I don't have ABS, but I did have a seatbelt problem. It still hasn't been fixed. Which doesn't matter anymore, the car is gutted out and out of warranty! LOL.

I did try to meet with someone at Toyota BC's head office in Richmond and the only person to talk to there is the security guard. I couldn't even find out who I could talk to.

It's a shame that Toyota thinks they're so big that they can't talk to a customer. They seem to leave it to the dealers to handle all the mess and nowadays it seems the dealers aren't any better. My GF has a 2009 Corolla which has been recalled..... She's had to bring it in three times and it's still not fixed.

Do you guys really need ABS? Why not just take it out?
Western Canada Rally Association
Ecurie (Team) Snoopy Canada, racing since 1966
mojoyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:30 AM   #215
devinlamothe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoyaris View Post
I hate to say it. Toyota Canada and Lexus Canada have not been very friendly lately.
I was getting a bad runaround from the competition guys at Lexus and they can't even give me a straight answer! Really!

I don't have ABS, but I did have a seatbelt problem. It still hasn't been fixed. Which doesn't matter anymore, the car is gutted out and out of warranty! LOL.

I did try to meet with someone at Toyota BC's head office in Richmond and the only person to talk to there is the security guard. I couldn't even find out who I could talk to.

It's a shame that Toyota thinks they're so big that they can't talk to a customer. They seem to leave it to the dealers to handle all the mess and nowadays it seems the dealers aren't any better. My GF has a 2009 Corolla which has been recalled..... She's had to bring it in three times and it's still not fixed.

Do you guys really need ABS? Why not just take it out?
The issue is we PAID for ABS, which is an added safety feature. Why would we just 'take it out'? That's giving up!
Old 02-26-2010, 10:22 PM   #216
mojoyaris
Ecurie Snoopy Lives

Drives: Jojo
I never liked the ABS in the Yaris. It kicked in too early for my taste. However since you wanted it in the first place it should be working in the first place. I totally agree with you and how Toyota should be doing something. Especially in light of all of this.

Have to say, I'm really dissapointed in them. It'd be nice for them to give me a call and prove otherwise.

Toyota, Lexus Canada, Hope you're reading this and give me a shout. You know who I am. Ask Chad.
Western Canada Rally Association
Ecurie (Team) Snoopy Canada, racing since 1966
mojoyaris is offline   Reply With Quote