Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-24-2014, 09:09 PM   #1
thebombman53

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Breaks squeak, but only for the first five minutes?

So my breaks have been squeaking, and I took it to the mechanic who told me they needed to be replaced. Had that work done, but basically nothing has changed.

The front breaks seem to squeak when stopping, but this really only happens for the first mile or so of my trip. After that the squeaking stops.

I'm thinking this may be a problem with the break fluid? I did notice, that after the new breaks were installed, that the break pedal doesn't feel any firmer than it had before. Not that I'm expecting it to feel all that firm, but I still have to apply quite a bit of pressure for the car to stop.

BTW I have an '07 Yaris Sedan.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
thebombman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:05 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Most people do not realize that new brake pads should be "bedded-in". Not doing so often results in new pads being squeaky or feeling wobbly. Here is an explanation of the process. As for the feel of the brakes, it sounds like they did not bleed the air out of the system after replacing the pads.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/....jsp?techid=85
Old 11-24-2014, 10:07 PM   #3
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
I admit I tried bedding after my new rotors, man they works better now. Less streaking too
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:14 AM   #4
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebombman53 View Post
So my breaks have been squeaking, and I took it to the mechanic who told me they needed to be replaced. Had that work done, but basically nothing has changed.

The front breaks seem to squeak when stopping, but this really only happens for the first mile or so of my trip. After that the squeaking stops.

I'm thinking this may be a problem with the break fluid? I did notice, that after the new breaks were installed, that the break pedal doesn't feel any firmer than it had before. Not that I'm expecting it to feel all that firm, but I still have to apply quite a bit of pressure for the car to stop.

BTW I have an '07 Yaris Sedan.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Bleeding the brakes wouldn't hurt since it's a relatively simple and inexpensive procedure.

However, I have noticed if my car since in wet/humid conditions for a day or so sometimes the brakes will squeak for the first couple times braking. After that they stop without any problems. Make sure your calipers/pads are properly lubed as well, I'm assuming the mechanic would have done this but it worth it to check.
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:21 PM   #5
thebombman53

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Well I haven't bedded them in, but the squeaking did stop. Perhaps they just needed a little usage? If it comes back, I'll try this, and get back to you.
thebombman53 is offline   Reply With Quote