Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 03-18-2010, 09:47 PM   #1
weaver615

Drives: '07 Yaris 3DRH
2007 Yaris bad tires

Bought my 2007 Yaris on March 5th. Bought it used with 31304 at signing. Paid $8000, Dealer wanted $11,000. Anyway before I test drove the car I noticed that the tires had dry rot between the tread and on the side walls around the "goodyear" and DOT numbers. I told the dealer who assured me that the tires would be "taken care of". Test Drove and decided to buy it. Day I took Delivery I noticed same tires on the car as when I test drove...asked dealer about and was told " If they pass inspection we don't put new tires on" I'm Like how the hell can these tires pass inspection? Mad appointment to come back and have tires looked (I didn't want to take the car in the condition the tires were in, but they already had my plates on it and my trade taken away, so I had no choice), I cam back for the appointment a week later to have the tires looked at, showed the dealer and the sales manager and the car was taken right in to the service garage.

Long storey short 20 minutes later service manager comes out and says there is nothing wrong with the tires they found no dry rot "on the sidewalls, that's the only place dry rot happens". I'm like "are you HIGH lady!!?? My mechanic says this car should not have passed Inspection with these tires on it the vehicle". She in turn told me that the sales manager told her NOT to put tires on the vehicle, I said Fine I will be back when I get into the accident I am going to get into when I leave, If I live thru it, with my attorney..." She had the Gull to say to me..."I don't care if you do get in an accident...we don't own the car anymore...."

What can I do? I am in Upstate New York and I have filed a complaint with the DMV here and filing one with the BBB as well. I should not have to put over $400 into car that I have only had 2 weeks....I've attached a few pics of the tires, you can clearly see the dry rot between the tread and outer rim of the tire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0601.jpg (191.5 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0603.jpg (176.1 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0604.jpg (252.0 KB, 231 views)

Last edited by weaver615; 03-23-2010 at 06:05 PM.
weaver615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:10 PM   #2
silver_vios
Banned

Drives: yaris sedan
holy hell. In my dumber years I used to buy used tires(hey 25 bucks a tires seemed like a good deal at the time). None of the tires sitting in piles exposed to the elements looked half that bad.

I'd start by calling the local news. I'm sure any media outlet would love more toyota bashing material.

edit: actually I'd return the car citing breach of contract. Who knows what the hell else they did to that car in 31k miles if they were driving on those tires.
silver_vios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:15 PM   #3
weaver615

And this car came from a "reputable" Dealer. The Yaris was the second car in a week I had bought from him, giving him a total of over $21000 in a week and he wouldn't even throw a set of decent tires on the car....Told me "there's 4/32 of tread on those tires they passed inspection..." I'm Like HOW!!!?? I have filed a complaint with DMV here in New York maybe that'll light a fire under their asses and put decent tires on this car.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:28 PM   #4
QR25DE_SpecV

Drives: 2006 Sentra SpecV
I would be absolutely furious.

First things first, go to another Toyota dealership! Those tires are absolutely destroyed, and should not be in service.

I would also file a complaint with some higher power with regards to that stupid bitches complete incompetence. Only happens on sidewalls? Right so the rest of the rubber is completely immune. What a fucking retard.

I'm getting pumped up just thinking about it....

Quote:
It's not what you drive, but what drives you
QR25DE_SpecV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:55 AM   #5
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Those tires should never pass inspection!
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:18 AM   #6
eht13

Drives: .
(never mind)

Last edited by eht13; 03-22-2010 at 05:30 PM.
eht13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:36 PM   #7
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Those tires are done. You should never have taken delivery without new rubber.
Good Luck!

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:49 PM   #8
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver615 View Post
I should not have to put over $400 into car that I have only had 2 weeks....I've attached a few pics of the tires, you can clearly see the dry rot between the tread and outer rim of the tire.
You can't complain about obvious faults on a used car AFTER you've made the purchase.

You had some leverage with them BEFORE you bought the car. You could have told them "knock $500 off of the price so that I can replace the tires and you have a deal." You didn't. Who's fault is that?

It's like noticing a dent on the car, the salesman saying "oh, that's nothing, it's fine"... and then you expecting them to fix it for you a week later because you decided you REALLY didn't like the dent. You bought the car as they sold it.

Go buy a new set of tires.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:10 PM   #9
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
use some of the $3000 you "saved" and buy some new tires lol
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:13 PM   #10
smell my finger

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Unfortanatly I think Loren may be right. I still can't believe they treated you that way but I am sure the contract has something about sold as is. I would probably just suck it up and get a set and forget about it. I am sure the trouble going through it all won't be worth it. Man, Those tries are pretty crappy, I'm getting ready to replace mine and they look nothing like that. This is why dealerships get the reputations they have.
smell my finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 01:06 PM   #11
RETRO

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
You can't complain about obvious faults on a used car AFTER you've made the purchase.

You had some leverage with them BEFORE you bought the car. You could have told them "knock $500 off of the price so that I can replace the tires and you have a deal." You didn't. Who's fault is that?

It's like noticing a dent on the car, the salesman saying "oh, that's nothing, it's fine"... and then you expecting them to fix it for you a week later because you decided you REALLY didn't like the dent. You bought the car as they sold it.

Go buy a new set of tires.
Good Post..You should had it in writting before you signed the papers.The car is 3 years old with 31k miles the original owner did not drive the car much,so it sat in the weather and that is hard on the tires.
RETRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 02:58 PM   #12
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
think of the nice tires you can put on it, and how you can pick tires yourself if you spend your money wisely.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:16 AM   #13
weaver615

In New York These tires should NEVER have passed Inspection. And in ALL the paperwork I got from them there is NOTHING written about "sold as-is" so we have an implied warranty here as I made the dealer aware of the fault BEFORE I purchased, (I have done my homework and spoke with a lawyer), I have filed my Complaint with the New York State DMV and I am awaiting their follow up to look at the tires. I did have a DOT inspector and another DMV inspector look at the tires and Both legally could have taken the inspection Sticker off the car but they didn't and advised me to turn it into DMV as this was an ILLEGAL Inspection by the dealer (who I have been made aware of recently does this allot)... So now it's in the hands of the DMV and we'll see what happens.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:37 AM   #14
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver615 View Post
In New York These tires should NEVER have passed Inspection. And in ALL the paperwork I got from them there is NOTHING written about "sold as-is" so we have an implied warranty here as I made the dealer aware of the fault BEFORE I purchased, (I have done my homework and spoke with a lawyer), I have filed my Complaint with the New York State DMV and I am awaiting their follow up to look at the tires. I did have a DOT inspector and another DMV inspector look at the tires and Both legally could have taken the inspection Sticker off the car but they didn't and advised me to turn it into DMV as this was an ILLEGAL Inspection by the dealer (who I have been made aware of recently does this allot)... So now it's in the hands of the DMV and we'll see what happens.

people like you make me sick.

dude, it's tires, you should have gotten them to either replace or compensate you for them.

have you also pulled off the wheels yourself to check how much brake material is left?

you should also see if they put in enough oil.

would you sue if they offered you a "full tank of gas" and when you finally took delivery it was only a half tank?

what a waste of effort for 4 tires that cost $60 each.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:14 PM   #15
weaver615

You must be a car dealer. Actually I did pull the tires off and check the brakes both front and back...I also checked the oil and the coolant level and Gear oil as well. The coolant level was low, they filled it, The oil needed changing, they changed it, Gear oil was fine. The passanger side front rotor was severly warped and the pads were almost metal to metal so they fixed that. The muffler was rusted and had a hole in it they fixed that too. I told them about the tires when I test drove the car, I was told "we'll take care of that", They didn't take care of it. They even changed the air filter too, and I told them I DEMANDED a fulltank of gas at delivery or the deal was off, I got the full tank. For $9000 CASH (this includes tax and tags) I will make sure I am getting my money's worth, I've been buying cars EVERY year since I was 20 Years old and that was 25 years ago, so I know how to buy a car. NOW we wait for DMV to do their thing. Oh and BTW? That's MR. WEAVER615 to you, NOT "dude".....lol

Last edited by weaver615; 03-22-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:23 PM   #16
RETRO

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatchback
Grow up
RETRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:45 PM   #17
weaver615

I was just kidding.....LOL GEEZ'UM
Old 03-27-2010, 07:21 AM   #18