Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-03-2016, 08:19 PM   #1
Cigar_Maverick

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
2007 Toyota Yaris Died and won't start

Good evening!
I purchased my Yaris a couple months back and have had no major issues with it. It has 110,000 miles on it. Tonight, leaving work, I made it a block away before it died and would not start.

Luckily, I was able to coast it back to the building and get it off the road. I have been reading a few posts on here trying to get a starting place. I saw this page as well: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45663

First off, it cranks fine. The engine light didn't come on. I don't have an Engine Immobiliser System. I checked all of the fuses by the battery and didn't see any problems.

I can sit in the car and put the key in the "Run" position. Should I hear the pump run for a second or two? Because I don't.

On sitting here reading these, in the past, occasionally it has cranked a bit more than I thought normal before starting. But having bought it used, I didn't have a "gauge" as to what is normal.

The car is a 5 spd hatchback if that helps any. I'm going to borrow a company car to go home and look at this tomorrow.
Cigar_Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:28 PM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Is the check engine light on?

If it is you need to be able to read the codes.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:34 PM   #3
Cigar_Maverick

No check engine light.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:01 PM   #4
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
You're going to need a volt meter.

Check for power on both sides of all the fuses for one.

EFI and I think it's AM2 are essential.

Also, Check all the grounds bolted to the head on the engine. On my '05 the computer is grounded there. When I changed my engine I forgot to tighten it down and at random, 3000km later it came just loose enough to kill my car after I had been driving for 45 min.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 05:38 AM   #5
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
will it bump start?
Old 10-04-2016, 06:23 AM   #6
07liftback

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Sounds like it's your alternator. If you can, try testing the battery to see what the voltage is then take it out and put it on a battery charger. When you put it back in your car and start it, unplug the negative terminal on the battery while the car is running. If the car dies out, it's definitely your alternator. You can probably find one on ebay or a local junkyard for a reasonable price.
07liftback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:13 AM   #7
Cigar_Maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
You're going to need a volt meter.

Check for power on both sides of all the fuses for one.

EFI and I think it's AM2 are essential.

Also, Check all the grounds bolted to the head on the engine. On my '05 the computer is grounded there. When I changed my engine I forgot to tighten it down and at random, 3000km later it came just loose enough to kill my car after I had been driving for 45 min.
Bluevitz-rs, I'll grab a volt meter. Are the fuses I need to check under the hood or under the dash? I found this fuse "Map" http://www.autogenius.info/toyota-ya...e-box-diagram/ Which ones do I need to check?

I'll locate the grounds and check them. Any idea where they are on a 2007 Hatchback?

Quote:
will it bump start?
thebarber, When I realized it had died, I tried that while it was coasting. I couldn't get it to go.

Quote:
Sounds like it's your alternator. If you can, try testing the battery to see what the voltage is then take it out and put it on a battery charger. When you put it back in your car and start it, unplug the negative terminal on the battery while the car is running. If the car dies out, it's definitely your alternator. You can probably find one on ebay or a local junkyard for a reasonable price.
07liftback, The car cranks really well, but won't start. If it was the alternator, would the battery still be "UP?" Also, I'm going to have to figure out how to start it before I can unplug the negative terminal.

Like I said, when I cycle power I don't hear the fuel pump. Not sure if that is normal or not. If it is normal, I wonder if it is something like a crank position sensor?
Old 10-04-2016, 09:18 AM   #8
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

With the key in the RUN position, what light do you have on on the dash.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:55 AM   #9
Cigar_Maverick

Quote:
With the key in the RUN position, what light do you have on on the dash.

Looks to be the oil light, check engine light, brake light (emergency brake is on), battery light and cool engine light.

Not that it matters, but ignore the clock. In a desperate attempt last night to not have to take a company car home, I removed the ground from the battery for a few minutes in a futile attempt to get the car to start.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:00 AM   #10
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar_Maverick View Post
Looks to be the oil light, check engine light, brake light (emergency brake is on), battery light and cool engine light.
All normal.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:18 AM   #11
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Ok it's probably not computer problem. You'll need to pull the rear seat cousin and fuel pump cover and check for power as you crank the engine at the fuel pump.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:37 AM   #12
Cigar_Maverick

Quote:
Ok it's probably not computer problem. You'll need to pull the rear seat cousin and fuel pump cover and check for power as you crank the engine at the fuel pump.
OK, That sounds easy enough. Gonna use AAA to get it towed back from work to my shop at home and get to it tonight/this week. I'll be in touch as to my results. I did download the service manual that somebody posted, so I hopefully will have a leg up getting to the fuel pump to test it.

Any particular threads in the forum stand out as to a guide for doing this as well? Sometimes the service manual can be a bit Greek to me when it comes to electrical testing.

From this:http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45663
I got this:
Quote:
For the wires on the fuel pump itself, the black wire is +12 and the white/black is ground.
Thanks again,
Russ
Old 10-04-2016, 09:52 PM   #13
Cigar_Maverick

Good evening!
Got the car home and removed the bottom seat cushion. Pried up the cover.

Note: do I need to apply any adhesive to reapply the cover?

Then I blew out the area with an air gun to remove dust/dirt.

This picture is of zero voltage with the ignition off:

This is a picture while the engine is cranking:

Based on this, is it safe to assume the pump is shot? If so, I can hopefully get one on order for weekend delivery.

If I'm to get a fuel pump, I'll likely shop Rockauto.com. Looking at two options
  1. CARTER P76424 {#2322021132}
  2. SPECTRA PREMIUM / COOLING DEPOT SP9031M

The 2nd option is a complete kit and the 1st is a Pump & Strainer Set. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Russ
Old 10-04-2016, 10:08 PM   #14
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Next would be to confirm there's no fuel pressure. If you can open the big screw thing to get the pump out and confirm it isn't running and there's no fuel pressure first. Better to be 100% sure the pump is dead.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:21 PM   #15
Cigar_Maverick

Quote:
Next would be to confirm there's no fuel pressure. If you can open the big screw thing to get the pump out and confirm it isn't running and there's no fuel pressure first. Better to be 100% sure the pump is dead.
So that I could have it prior to the weekend, I did order the pump. I can always ship it back.

Is there a particular thread that discusses checking for pressure at the pump? In an entirely scientific way (sarcasm intended), I put my ear down to the "Big screw thing" while the engine cranked and didn't hear anything. I don't know how loud they SHOULD be as I've never listened for one on a Yaris before. Betting they are way quieter than my Holley external pump on my Monte Carlo!
Old 10-05-2016, 01:25 PM   #16
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

You should be able to hear a hum at least.

Did you try a continuity test of the pump itself? I haven't heard of one burning out but you never know.

Also there is a fuel filter on the end of the pump you should replace if you're going in there.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:14 PM   #17
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Rear seat bottom cushion removal

To remove the rear seat cushion on my 2007 hatchback, I looked under and found two large white plastic clip heads that could be squeezed just so to allow them, and the seat cushion, to lift up away from the frame. Then exposing all bolts to remove the seat entirely. (No adhesive encountered, but not saying there never was any on this cushion.)
(Seat is one piece back type. One piece bottom, belts for 3 passengers)
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:35 PM   #18
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Potentially messy, but could one not just disconnect the fuel rail and see if gas is flowing there?

Tags
cranks, dead, pump, won't start