Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-30-2016, 04:16 PM   #1
sorka

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Clutch replacement: Question for those that have done it themselves....

Doing a clutch on a 2008 Yaris Sedan. Have everything off(connectors, cables, starter, etc) and the trans is disconnected but still bolted into the engine. The axles are removed. Basically I'm at the last point before unbolting and removing the trans.

The car is on jackstands and about 21" off the ground. It looks like I'll have plenty of clearnance to move the trans out once it lowers.

For those that have done this themselves and have left engine in place how should I proceed from here?

I assume I can remove the torque mount now and that the two top side mounts (passenger side engine mount and drivers side transmission mount) will hold it all in place until I can jack the engine and trans in place?

This DIY thread:

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/scio...ion-tc-138067/

mentions undoing the body side bolts on the engine mount, but I suspect they really mean the top side mount on the drivers side but I'm not sure.

Do I need to undo anything on the engine mount on the passenger side or leave it all fully bolted in?

Should I use a floor jack on the engine? More dangerous because if a seal were to break the engine could fall part way but it would leave me some flexibility to move the engine forward and backwards on the wheels. On the other hand, the floor jack leaves less space.

What jack point should I use for the engine. There's a nice spot to the right of the oil pan(facing the front of the car) but it leaves almost no room to get the lower trans bolts out. Can I support the engine on the oil pan???

The post I mentioned talks about moving the trans over the subframe but the subframe is well behind the trans and engine. Doesn't look like there are any clearance issues there. Am I misreading it?
sorka is offline   Reply With Quote