Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-22-2017, 01:46 PM   #1
funky2nite

Drives: 2013 Hybrid 1.5L T4
Yaris hybrid '13 when doing 60 revs high - expect it to switch gear

I just purchased a '13 hybrid yaris. And had a friend of mine which is a car guy more than i am, test drive it for me. The only thing he complained about is when doing 60 he kind of expected it to 'relax' at some point by upping another gear. Yet it kept kind of high revs. Seeing there's no rev meter in the cluster onr cannot know for sure how much revs it's doing. Also he said that gear change couldnt be felt/noticed much, but the seller said its because its a cvt tranny...so thia makes it even more difficult to distinguish gear changes.

Can anyone owning a hybrid clear this out for us if they experience same behaviour, or its just this car?

Thanks everyone for this fabulous gem of a forum in here.

Ian
funky2nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:17 PM   #2
Dabuu
Radical Dreamer

Drives: spiritedly.
That's normal for a CVT, as the transmission is designed to keep the engine at its most efficient rpm. These transmissions don't have any gears, instead you have pulleys and a belt. As the speed changes, so does the pulley size, which gives you an infinite set of gear ratios between the pulleys smallest and largest diameter.

I'm no expert on CVTs, this is the general info that I know. Good luck with the purchase!
Old 03-22-2017, 02:39 PM   #3
funky2nite

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabuu View Post
That's normal for a CVT, as the transmission is designed to keep the engine at its most efficient rpm. These transmissions don't have any gears, instead you have pulleys and a belt. As the speed changes, so does the pulley size, which gives you an infinite set of gear ratios between the pulleys smallest and largest diameter.

I'm no expert on CVTs, this is the general info that I know. Good luck with the purchase!
Thanks man for clearing that up. However obvious it might have been to others, it wasnt to me. In view of what you just mentioned, i think this is very similar to the tranny of quadbikes. Infact these dont have any gear stick, just accelerator and brake and reverse
Old 03-22-2017, 09:39 PM   #4
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
There are no belts or pulleys in a Toyota Hybrid system. The gear ratio is determined by the speed and direction of rotation of the two electric motors and the internal combustion engine. There is nothing to ever wear out or fail and it is completely variable.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 03:35 PM   #5
funky2nite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
There are no belts or pulleys in a Toyota Hybrid system. The gear ratio is determined by the speed and direction of rotation of the two electric motors and the internal combustion engine. There is nothing to ever wear out or fail and it is completely variable.
In view of what you said, is it still normal for hybrid to have higher rev than conventional car when doing 60? Maybe any hybrid owners around?
Old 04-07-2017, 03:41 PM   #6
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

It all depends on load. You'd need to hook up a scan tool that can read RPM to see what it's actually revving. I've driven Prius, Highlander Hybrid, RAV4 Hybrid and Lexus CT200h. They all rev high when accelerating up to highway speed. But if you coast or let off the throttle the RPM basically come down to an idle depending on how fast your going. If you're below a certain speed the engine with stop running entirely.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:26 AM   #7
funky2nite

Quote:
It all depends on load. You'd need to hook up a scan tool that can read RPM to see what it's actually revving. I've driven Prius, Highlander Hybrid, RAV4 Hybrid and Lexus CT200h. They all rev high when accelerating up to highway speed. But if you coast or let off the throttle the RPM basically come down to an idle depending on how fast your going. If you're below a certain speed the engine with stop running entirely.
Thanks man for sparing time to reply back. It's been much appreciated. Have just purchased an OBD2 reader that pair with android phones, and ill monitor rpm on the phone. What would be excessive rpm readings-higher than how much ? (The car going fast but not floored)

Thanks again guys!
Old 04-08-2017, 06:48 AM   #8
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

I'd guess it's probably around 3000@ 100km/h, 60mph
Old 04-18-2017, 04:20 PM   #9
funky2nite

Quote:
just stumbled on this youtube link, am aware that it doesn't take hybrid models into acc, but it revolves around toyota's CVT technology, which afaik comes bundled with the yaris hybrid. Just pointing it out following the replies on my thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVAPRagaOtg