Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-16-2019, 02:46 PM   #19
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Hmm odd, and not really a common problem. No way to tell without getting underneath it and checking the various components while compressing the suspension
Old 01-16-2019, 03:25 PM   #20
jowii

Drives: 2017 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by jowii View Post
One small issue I'm having right now is that there is a creaking when steering at low speeds. Initially I thought it was just noise of the steering column itself, but of course the steering wheel doesn't make a noise when at a complete stop and turning the wheel. Wasn't sure if that was something to expect from the Yaris...otherwise, what I have read points to possible bad suspension joints. Having it looked at now...
Apparently what I'm hearing is common to the Yaris. They compared to others they had on the lot that behaved the same way. They explained it was just the behavior of economy cars and not being as quiet in the cabin.
jowii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:39 PM   #21
tmontague

That was something I was going to mentions. At the end of the day it is an eco box. They make noises, you learn to live with them. As long as nothing is worn out or broken then you get used to it
Old 01-18-2019, 06:03 AM   #22
jowii

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
That was something I was going to mentions. At the end of the day it is an eco box. They make noises, you learn to live with them. As long as nothing is worn out or broken then you get used to it
Also, as I'm learning as I go, I learned that the Yaris has electronic power steering and I imagine what I'm likely hearing is a subtle sound from that motor.

Much of my online research in general yielded results of "under no circumstances should you hear sound when steering...any sound points to a problem" (for cars in general) and I think those statements don't account for EPS, let alone EPS in economy cars.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:26 PM   #23
Hamster

Drives: 2009 5-Door Liftback
jowii - My ten year old Yaris makes no creaking, or noises from the power steering motor. The only noise the car makes is from the engine. I'm no mechanic, but it sounds really strange that you would hear a sound when steering. I don't think that's normal. Sounds like this car has a bunch of red flags.
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 04:40 AM   #24
jowii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
jowii - My ten year old Yaris makes no creaking, or noises from the power steering motor. The only noise the car makes is from the engine. I'm no mechanic, but it sounds really strange that you would hear a sound when steering. I don't think that's normal. Sounds like this car has a bunch of red flags.
Thanks. I called Toyota directly and they could not answer the question unfortunately. They said it's up to the dealership to decide, which the one I had already taken it to said it was to be expected.

The other thing I can certainly do is ask to look at another Yaris at Hertz to compare. If the issue isn't in the next one, not sure my next move because I also don't want to take a gamble on what might be wrong in the next vehicle and don't want to spend more money for a mechanic to look at another car...

Does your Yaris use electronic power steering?
Old 01-19-2019, 07:30 AM   #25
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Corrosion Block spray rubber bushings creak squeak noise

Could steering noise be rubber creaking...maybe at the ball joint cover or something at the top of the strut? I'm pretty sure my Corrosion Block spritzing made some suspension creak go away, and now I'm hitting everything rubber or plastic (white sway bar bushings). Just my experiment...not advice.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:17 AM   #26
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
Could steering noise be rubber creaking...maybe at the ball joint cover or something at the top of the strut? I'm pretty sure my Corrosion Block spritzing made some suspension creak go away, and now I'm hitting everything rubber or plastic (white sway bar bushings). Just my experiment...not advice.
Are you not worried about the potentially adverse reactions between rubber/plastic components and a petroleum based product? It probably wouldn't hurt anything in the short term, but long term exposure could cause crumbling, swelling, distortion of bushings/other rubber parts etc. I've definitely seem that happen and have caused it myself before I became attuned to it and now try to avoid direct contact.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:25 AM   #27
tmontague

Quote:
Thanks. I called Toyota directly and they could not answer the question unfortunately. They said it's up to the dealership to decide, which the one I had already taken it to said it was to be expected.

The other thing I can certainly do is ask to look at another Yaris at Hertz to compare. If the issue isn't in the next one, not sure my next move because I also don't want to take a gamble on what might be wrong in the next vehicle and don't want to spend more money for a mechanic to look at another car...

Does your Yaris use electronic power steering?
A creak I'd nothing serious and likely is a rubber bushing in the suspension. That said if you cannot or do not do the work yourself, it was add up to a costly fix. If you do the work yourself then it's relatively cheap.

Could be something as simple as sway bar bushings, but like I said this isnt a common issue on 2nd gen or 1st gens and this is only a 2 year old car we are talking aboht
Old 01-19-2019, 10:17 AM   #28
dogsridewith

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Are you not worried about the potentially adverse reactions between rubber/plastic components and a petroleum based product? It probably wouldn't hurt anything in the short term, but long term exposure could cause crumbling, swelling, distortion of bushings/other rubber parts etc. I've definitely seem that happen and have caused it myself before I became attuned to it and now try to avoid direct contact.
"What...me worry?"

Concerned. Yes. On a couple prior vehicles I was lubing rubber bushings w/ DOT5 brake fluid. (Silicone) Here my thinking was that silicone sprays had other stuff besides silicone in the formula that could hurt "rubber." Results? Don't know for sure.

Don't know what's in it and just went w/ Corrosion Block because of what was on their web site. Marketing towards spraying everything under the covers of outboard motors used in salt water...which includes wiring, etc. Main purpose for me was rustproofing w/o hurting wiring, electronics and rubber tubing...notice some some of this around Yaris fuel tank.

An experiment. Stuff doesn't smell bad...sort of interesting, actually.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:17 AM   #29
jowii

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
A creak I'd nothing serious and likely is a rubber bushing in the suspension. That said if you cannot or do not do the work yourself, it was add up to a costly fix. If you do the work yourself then it's relatively cheap.

Could be something as simple as sway bar bushings, but like I said this isnt a common issue on 2nd gen or 1st gens and this is only a 2 year old car we are talking aboht
Thanks. The dealership drove it around and said they compared it to other vehicles and said it was similar... I called Toyota's main customer support and they couldn't give an answer and they told me that they leave it to the dealer to decide. I asked if since I have a ticket created for the concern, if it would be honored under warranty if it does become an apparent issue after the warranty expires, and I think the answer is no...

I've attached an audio file with what I'm hearing (startup and then steering about halfway through until end). Unfortunately when I record a video with my phone, the cheap phone mic and audio compression in the video make it sound much worse than it is.

Some folks tell me it sounds like power steering fluid being low, which the Yaris doesn't have right? Or maybe it's just a noisy EPS motor or things are easier to hear in the Yaris. Which by the way, when I'm driving around I do find myself freaking out more than I did in my other car, because everything starts to sound like it's coming from the car (other people's cars, the texture of the road, etc.) lol
Attached Files
File Type: zip Yaris-startup-and_steering_sound.wav.zip (1.43 MB, 10 views)
Old 01-19-2019, 11:15 AM   #30
06YarisRS

Quote:
"What...me worry?"

Concerned. Yes. On a couple prior vehicles I was lubing rubber bushings w/ DOT5 brake fluid. (Silicone) Here my thinking was that silicone sprays had other stuff besides silicone in the formula that could hurt "rubber." Results? Don't know for sure.

Don't know what's in it and just went w/ Corrosion Block because of what was on their web site. Marketing towards spraying everything under the covers of outboard motors used in salt water...which includes wiring, etc. Main purpose for me was rustproofing w/o hurting wiring, electronics and rubber tubing...notice some some of this around Yaris fuel tank.

An experiment. Stuff doesn't smell bad...sort of interesting, actually.
It's probably great stuff for rustproofing. I've been trying to nail down a strange rumble I get when my '08 hits dips on the highway. I found a crumbling trailing arm bushing and I had inadvertently hit it a few times with oil-based goop. The core of the bushing is solid, but I pulled off chunks of the bits of rubber that extend to outer part of the bushing. I'm just a little cautious now, I guess. Also, in the past, I ruined a few door gaskets as the thin oil-based stuff I used dripped down, swelling them.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 01-19-2019, 11:33 AM   #31
06YarisRS

Quote:
Thanks. The dealership drove it around and said they compared it to other vehicles and said it was similar... I called Toyota's main customer support and they couldn't give an answer and they told me that they leave it to the dealer to decide. I asked if since I have a ticket created for the concern, if it would be honored under warranty if it does become an apparent issue after the warranty expires, and I think the answer is no...

I've attached an audio file with what I'm hearing (startup and then steering about halfway through until end). Unfortunately when I record a video with my phone, the cheap phone mic and audio compression in the video make it sound much worse than it is.

Some folks tell me it sounds like power steering fluid being low, which the Yaris doesn't have right? Or maybe it's just a noisy EPS motor or things are easier to hear in the Yaris. Which by the way, when I'm driving around I do find myself freaking out more than I did in my other car, because everything starts to sound like it's coming from the car (other people's cars, the texture of the road, etc.) lol
I heard it. It's the 3 sort of scraping sounds? Is it happening as you cycle the steering wheel back and forth? Is it smooth when you turn the wheel, or any roughness?

I'll go out in a bit and cycle the steering wheel on my '08 and see if I have any noise. Mine is a lot older, so it may not be an apples to apples comparison.

Old 01-19-2019, 12:22 PM   #32
jowii

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
I heard it. It's the 3 sort of scraping sounds? Is it happening as you cycle the steering wheel back and forth? Is it smooth when you turn the wheel, or any roughness?

I'll go out in a bit and cycle the steering wheel on my '08 and see if I have any noise. Mine is a lot older, so it may not be an apples to apples comparison.
Thanks I appreciate it.

Yeah it's those sounds when moving the wheel any amount. It feels smooth, just makes sound. And it comes directly from the steering wheel column area. Doesn't make the sound when the car is off and I can move the wheel little bits, so I'm sure it's not something actually scraping in the column. Sounds a bit mechanical/electronic I guess. Maybe similar in ways to what I might hear in other vehicles with conventional power steering when turning the wheel all the way "full lock", but maybe more subtle. Not really sure how to best describe the sound.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:33 PM   #33
dogsridewith

Yaris electric assist steering noise

Is the car rolling during these steering sound tests? Engine on and engine off?
(Might be in a column bushing that is differently loaded in the different test protocols?)

My 1989 Tercel had a clunking column bushing that was much louder in winter cold. (Was happy to finally find it not being a suspension part)
Old 01-19-2019, 02:54 PM   #34
jowii

Quote:
Is the car rolling during these steering sound tests? Engine on and engine off?
(Might be in a column bushing that is differently loaded in the different test protocols?)

My 1989 Tercel had a clunking column bushing that was much louder in winter cold. (Was happy to finally find it not being a suspension part)
It does it when rolling, but the example is while parked and engine is running. It sounds like it's coming right from the column behind the wheel. I know how well sound travels within the Yaris, so I suppose the source might not be immediately located where I'm hearing the sound, but I imagine it has to do with the EPS motor or soemthing in there. Not sure how to get a look at it.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:53 PM   #35
jowii

I realize at this point that I should have perhaps created a separate thread for this?

Doing more research about EPS, I found this write-up about EPS, but perhaps pertaining more to GM:
https://evwest.com/support/How%20thi...ng%20works.pdf
It says, "Remember though that a slight noise (humming or quiet whine) is a normal operating characteristic."

Who knows if the Toyota would have the same operating characteristics for the same reasons with different parts and assembly, but it at least challenges some of these other articles that say, "Under normal circumstances, no steering wheel makes noise when turning." It would certainly be nice if it didn't!
https://carfromjapan.com/article/car...noise-turning/

I did find this other post by a Toyota owner, perhaps a similar situation (who was assuming something with the motor)...
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discus...37109_ds673149
No follow-up though.

But maybe it's more related to torque sensors which might account for the more direct sound if I'm looking at the diagram correctly? I'm also still reading up on exactly how it works... I understand the principle, but not all the parts yet.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:57 PM   #36
tmontague

Try it while parked with the engine running and again with the key in but the engine off. It will help you isolate if it is related the the EPs motor or not