Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-19-2008, 10:18 PM   #1
enkid

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan
FE Mod ideas

Air intake -

Connecting an air duct from the vehicle interior to the inlet of the air filter box.

- takes advantage of solar heating of the interior on a cold, sunny winter day
- continues to supply preheated air (for human comfort) to the engine after warm up.
- Reduces wild temperature swings of intake air during stop-and-go driving on a hot summer day.

Water injection -

Capturing air conditioner condensation and feeding it to the air intake above the throttle, through something like a bicycle pump inflation needle.
see
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Green...on-System.aspx
enkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:40 PM   #2
mark2908

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by enkid View Post
Air intake -

Connecting an air duct from the vehicle interior to the inlet of the air filter box.

- continues to supply preheated air (for human comfort) to the engine after warm up.
- Reduces wild temperature swings of intake air during stop-and-go driving on a hot summer day.

It might sound a little odd.
mark2908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:38 AM   #3
natethegreat38
Party like a Barack star

Drives: '08 LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by enkid View Post
Air intake -

Water injection -

Capturing air conditioner condensation and feeding it to the air intake above the throttle, through something like a bicycle pump inflation needle.
see
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Green...on-System.aspx
It does sound a little odd, but I had also had a goofy thought about something similar: What if you connected it the same way but blew air conditioned air into the intake manifold. How would this affect (if at all) the engine performance? Think about it; power modders are looking for the densest and most cold air available, preferably force inducted. This would provide moderate psi, no?? Just some food for thought
natethegreat38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:12 PM   #4
enkid

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan
I think Mark meant it would probably make an odd noise. I think the air filter would muffle the sound of air rushing past the throttle, but there might be a hum from the intake manifold.

There's nowhere near enough pressure from the AC blower to moderate PSI, but it will moderate the temperature, and therefore density of the air. There's be no advantage in going directly into the intake manifold.

But....it might be easier to connect the air filter inlet to a duct in the climate control system - than it would be to cut a hole in the firewall and route a duct to it.
enkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:08 PM   #5
DFA
Compulsive Washer

Drives: 08' AT Meteorite Metallic LB
Send a message via MSN to DFA
I thought the same thing SD, I just didn't want to be an ass and point it out in a much less than polite way than you did.

DFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:09 PM   #6
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
I reconsidered and deleted that... Not my job -- that's moderator territory.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:01 AM   #7
mark2908

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB Auto
Please excuse my poor attempt at a joke... How about adding an automated grill block, to the idea. Closing off air flow to the engine bay until the engine is warm, then opening as needed. Regulated cabin intake air, and faster year round warm ups.

I do wonder about getting a duct thru the firewall without heating up the cabin air in the duct in route to the intake. (lot's of obstructions, hot manifold etc...)
Also the heater core and ductwork is inside the car. A few engineering issues, but it's fun to think about.

Last edited by mark2908; 10-23-2008 at 10:18 AM. Reason: typo
mark2908 is offline   Reply With Quote