Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-31-2019, 12:15 PM   #1
egf265

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
07 Flickering Battery Light

I have searched through all the forums and need a little more insight into my flickering battery light issue.

My battery light came on a week ago and had to replace the alternator with a reman one from carquest. I replaced the serpentine belt a few months ago and battery was replaced 11 months ago. Now the battery light flickers when I've been driving for about 20 minutes or so but never stays on solid. Yesterday for the first time the AC wouldn't run cool until about 5-10 minutes after driving.
I have checked the ALT-S fuse and it is good, also checked the voltage regulator and the battery with a multimeter and they were good; the battery and alternator cables do not appear corroded and I cleaned the battery cables for extra measure. I don't think the weather has anything to do with it, it has only rained once since that happened.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I would love to avoid having to take it to the dealership.
Thanks!
egf265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:51 PM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
IIRC a member on here a while back had this issue when going with an aftermarket alternator and it was fixed once he went with an OEM unit. Obviously this costs a decent amount compared to a reman'd unit, but if your voltages are fine then there would be no harm in leaving it as is other than the battery light annoyance.

I don't remember off the top of my head what values trigger the ECU to turn on the battery light but that would be a good way to work back from there
Old 05-31-2019, 12:57 PM   #3
egf265

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
That is good to know, I will def look into that.
Thanks!
egf265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 01:00 PM   #4
tmontague

I forgot to mention that a cheaper way to keep the OEM alternator and voltage regulator would be to get a used Alternator from an auto recycler or junk yard. This is the route I've gone for my '05 Vibe as well as my 2zr swap. FWIW my used OEM alternator that I installed during my swap went bad about 50k km later and I just picked up another one.

Main reason I went this route is I have a recycler 1km from my house and they go for about $100, less than half of what a reman'd unit goes for
Old 05-31-2019, 01:20 PM   #5
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
I forgot to mention that a cheaper way to keep the OEM alternator and voltage regulator would be to get a used Alternator from an auto recycler or junk yard. This is the route I've gone for my '05 Vibe as well as my 2zr swap. FWIW my used OEM alternator that I installed during my swap went bad about 50k km later and I just picked up another one.

Main reason I went this route is I have a recycler 1km from my house and they go for about $100, less than half of what a reman'd unit goes for
I just got a low mileage one on ebay from a wrecked yaris for 45 bucks.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:12 PM   #6
tmontague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegamer View Post
I just got a low mileage one on ebay from a wrecked yaris for 45 bucks.