Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-17-2019, 09:08 AM   #1
mat1_8

Drives: Toyota Vitz 2004 1.0
Toyota Yaris 2002 Slipping Gears

Hi,

I have Toyota Yaris 2002 with Automatic Transmission and 66k miles. All of a sudden it started to slip from first gear to second gear. This does not happen all the time and happens mostly if I accelerate rapidly. The problem is that when it happens, the car exists really slow and if I press the gas pedal further, it just won't respond. Did this ever happen to anyone please? Could it be a matter of just changing the transmission oil fluid? Thank you
mat1_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:21 PM   #2
johnwk

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB
It's possible that changing the transmission fluid (as in draining some and refilling) would help. However, completely flushing the transmission fluid would risk making things worse.

Have you looked at the transmission fluid dipstick? (Be sure the engine is warm and the car is idling while you check it.) It would help to make sure there's enough fluid there and that it doesn't look black or dirty.

At 66k miles, I wouldn't expect it to need a change. Do you drive on a lot of hills, or in dirt, or pulling a trailer, or in any way that might put strain on the transmission?
johnwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:21 PM   #3
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
+1 on checking fluid level. Low auto transmission fluid will cause a lot of funky issues like that.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:46 AM   #4
mat1_8

Drives: Toyota Vitz 2004 1.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwk View Post
It's possible that changing the transmission fluid (as in draining some and refilling) would help. However, completely flushing the transmission fluid would risk making things worse.

Have you looked at the transmission fluid dipstick? (Be sure the engine is warm and the car is idling while you check it.) It would help to make sure there's enough fluid there and that it doesn't look black or dirty.

At 66k miles, I wouldn't expect it to need a change. Do you drive on a lot of hills, or in dirt, or pulling a trailer, or in any way that might put strain on the transmission?
Hi. I have looked at the dipstick today and it seems there is the correct level of fluid and its red/brown in colour. In regards to strain, I never used the car to pull something and there aren't a lot of hills where I live. Today I am going to take it to a certified Toyota mechanic and see if he notices something. Will keep you posted. Thank you
mat1_8 is offline   Reply With Quote