Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-19-2019, 05:36 PM   #1
RMcG

Drives: 2008 Yaris Base Hatchback
What is a (or the) coorect coolant & amount for a Yaris?

Hello all,

I am about to change my coolant according to instructions I received on this forum here . I want to be sure I use the right coolant. I called a couple Toyota Dealers and they told me 00272-SLLC2 was the correct coolant for my 2008 Yaris. This is about $23USD for 1 prediluted (50/50) gallon. They told me it is only sold prediluted. Since the capacity of the cooling system is 5.1 quarts, to replace all the coolant will require 2 of these gallons or $46USD cost.

Perhaps, however, not all the old coolant will come out when I drain it, so I can get away with a single gallon ($23 USD cost).

QUESTION: Do forum members think I will need two gallons of this prediluted Toyota coolant? Or do you think I should buy just one gallon?

I have another number for an undiluted official Toyota coolant that I got off Amazon, 00272-ILLAC-01, but I was told that that is not the correct number for my Yaris.

QUESTION: Do forum members think I could use this undiluted 00272-ILLAC-01 (after diluting with distilled water, of course) instead of the other one described above?

The owner's manual says only to use "Toyota Super Long life Coolant or a similar high-quality ethylene glycol-based, nonsilicate, non-amine, non-nitrite, and non-borate coolant with long-life hybrid organic acid technology."

This Amazon link for an undiluted Zerex antifreeze is much cheaper and it looks like it would meet the requirements of the owner's manual. But it is orange, and the coolant in my vehicle is red/pink.

Here below is detailed information on the composition:

Valvoline ZEREX DEX-COOL antifreeze coolant is a patented* carboxylate formulation with a service life of up to five years or 150,000 miles. It incorporates state-of-the-art organic acid technology in an ethylene glycol base for protection of all cooling system metals including aluminum. ZEREX DEX-COOL antifreeze coolant is approved by General Motors to the GM 6277M specification. ZEREX DEX-COOL antifreeze coolant contains no phosphates, silicates, borates, nitrates, amines and nitrites.

QUESTION: Do forum members think I could use this Zerex formulation or a similar aftermarket formulation instead of the Toyota coolant? Like perhaps this Zerex Asian red?

Thank you,

R.

Last edited by RMcG; 06-20-2019 at 12:13 AM. Reason: add info, correct
RMcG is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
amount, coolant, correct, type