Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-11-2009, 09:41 PM   #1
MGargano

Drives: 2009 Yaris Hatchback
Thinking about flywheel & clutch...

I'm wondering what kinds of gains (if any) I can hope to achieve by changing the clutch and flywheel in my '09 LB. I'm not too sure what brands I should be looking at or what prices are reasonable for these parts, so I'm looking for some advice.

I'm not a racer by any means; I'm just looking to make my daily commute a little more enjoyable.

For reference, I've already installed the following:

NST crank, water pump, and alt. pulleys
NST SSK (engine bay)
TWM SSK (lower shifter lever)
AFE intake
Megan header & axle-back with custom mid-pipe
MGargano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:03 PM   #2
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
There are no actual "gains'" in HP. What you will notice by installing these are quicker revs., a little harder clutch pedal, and the clutch will engage harder. As for where to get a flywheel and clutch: http://www.nonstoptuning.com/SPEC/pSpecClutch.html There are a few members on here that have actually installed these and will be able to give you a better review.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:11 PM   #3
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
i would say very little... to me, it feels like it has a fairly good clutch, and the flywheel isnt that heavy. i would use that money to get an LSD.
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:13 PM   #4
MGargano

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredrocket View Post
There are no actual "gains'" in HP. What you will notice by installing these are quicker revs., a little harder clutch pedal, and the clutch will engage harder. As for where to get a flywheel and clutch: http://www.nonstoptuning.com/SPEC/pSpecClutch.html There are a few members on here that have actually installed these and will be able to give you a better review.
I realized after I posted that I should have clarified 'gains'. I wasn't referring to HP, just overall improvement. Thankfully you understood what I was getting at.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:49 PM   #5
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
one would think the gains would be similar to that of
the NST pullies , Considering Spec flywheel is Approx 40%
lighter than stock , check out the NST site they have the spec flywheel and clutch .
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:51 PM   #6
Mouse

Drives: 2007 MX5
You're not gaining power but freeing up the power that is already there. I say do it.
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:51 PM   #7
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
unless you're making enough power for your stock clutch to slip, it's not time yet to replace or upgrade it. (unless you just want a stiffer feel). The flywheel will give you some responsiveness and "quickness" in your acceleration.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:17 AM   #8
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
unless you're making enough power for your stock clutch to slip, it's not time yet to replace or upgrade it. (unless you just want a stiffer feel). The flywheel will give you some responsiveness and "quickness" in your acceleration.

+1. i have a fidanza flywheel and TRD clutch. i prefer the stiffer clutch and like cali yaris said the flywheel adds a touch more responsiveness. it gives you the feeling that it has a little more pep when shifting but it's also more of a challenge to shift smoothly. tends to jerk the car around a little more.

do i like it yeah but do i kinda wish i'd have put my money elsewhere yeah.
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:13 AM   #9
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
i know alot of S2k guys use an upgraded pressure plate, stock disc, and lightened flyweel. I prefere that sort of set up, but i dont know if you get get a pressure plate without a flywheel.

On the yaris, with those mods, there is no reason to upgrade the clutch. The flywheel may be a nice mod on the other hand.

Neither with make as big a difference as an LSD though.
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:46 PM   #10
NonStopTuning

Drives: NST CARS: S13 AE86 ANT10 AW11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredrocket View Post
Correct

And these are in stock and ready for immediate shipping.
I would recommend the SPEC Stage 2+ clutch and lightweight flywheel for the Yaris.

Good luck and have fun with your project!

NonStopTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:11 AM   #11
MGargano

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonStopTuning View Post
I would recommend the SPEC Stage 2+ clutch and lightweight flywheel for the Yaris.
Is anyone running this combo that can give me some feedback as to how it performs in a daily driving situation?