Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-02-2015, 03:29 PM   #1
ndzzb

Drives: 2011 toyota yaris
How to make a duplicate transponder key?

Hi guys,
I lost my only key for 2011 yaris. There is an engine immobilizer on it. So, I have to make a transponder key. The quote from dealer ship is around $400, I think it costs too much. Is there any other way to make it?
Thank you guys!
ndzzb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 03:33 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
You have to have one of the other original "master" keys to add a new one and the Toyota Techstream tool is required to program the new key into the ECU.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:13 PM   #3
ndzzb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
You have to have one of the other original "master" keys to add a new one and the Toyota Techstream tool is required to program the new key into the ECU.
Hi Scott, unfortunately, I don't have any original master keys. I bought the second hand car, only come with one key, but I lost it.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:15 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndzzb View Post
Hi Scott, unfortunately, I don't have any original master keys. I bought the second hand car, only come with one key, but I lost it.
That will be a problem. I believe that without one of the original master keys the transponder key ECU has to be replaced with a new one in order to register a new key with no existing keys.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:44 PM   #5
ndzzb

Quote:
That will be a problem. I believe that without one of the original master keys the transponder key ECU has to be replaced with a new one in order to register a new key with no existing keys.
Do you mean I have to replace a new ECU? How much will it cost?Could I buy a transponder key from ebay and let the dealship cut and program it?
Old 02-02-2015, 09:18 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

It's not the key that they are charging you $400 for. It is the Transponder key ECU (89780-52061) which is about $300 plus the replacement key (89785-60160), which is abut $35.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:46 PM   #7
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
How to make a duplicate transponder key?

No need for master key to program new keys but u need to reprogram ECU by obtaining a 6 digit code directly from Toyota this will wipe the ECU old security and reprogram with new with and new cut keys don't know why they are charging u so much tho it's about a 15 min procedure with tech stream online with Toyota plus cost of keys and remote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:55 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
No need for master key to program new keys but u need to reprogram ECU by obtaining a 6 digit code directly from Toyota this will wipe the ECU old security and reprogram with new with and new cut keys don't know why they are charging u so much tho it's about a 15 min procedure with tech stream online with Toyota plus cost of keys and remote.

Are you sure about that? According to the service manual, with no master keys in possession the transponder key ECU has to be replaced to add new keys. I know that when you buy a new Toyota you get a little metal tag with the keys that you are told "not to lose". My understanding is that code is just for cutting the physical key - It has nothing to do with resetting the transponder.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:40 PM   #9
Exiwolfman

Yes I have done one on a sienna ..same problem person lost all but one key no masters .
In order to do this I had to log with Toyota and its full of security as in they need my name , blood lol etc after that I get the code that basically resets the whole security and at this time u can load blank keys as ECU is reloaded but like I said only Toyota employe can do this and one has to be verified .
But this is completely different procedure from just adding keys with that u need master for simple add on of lost key with out special security protocol .

Old 02-02-2015, 10:42 PM   #10
Exiwolfman

But yes the other code u mention is for key cut . All other is to reprogram the security.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:07 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Yes I have done one on a sienna ..same problem person lost all but one key no masters .
In order to do this I had to log with Toyota and its full of security as in they need my name , blood lol etc after that I get the code that basically resets the whole security and at this time u can load blank keys as ECU is reloaded but like I said only Toyota employe can do this and one has to be verified .
But this is completely different procedure from just adding keys with that u need master for simple add on of lost key with out special security protocol .

That makes sense. So, it's definitely not a DIY. I wonder if the OP's dealer is charging the $400 for that service or if they are doing the service manual route?
Old 02-02-2015, 11:14 PM   #12
Exiwolfman

Quote:
That makes sense. So, it's definitely not a DIY. I wonder if the OP's dealer is charging the $400 for that service or if they are doing the service manual route?

By the sounds of it they are doing the manual route and charging for something that just need programming with new security .

Old 02-03-2015, 05:50 AM   #13
ndzzb

Quote:

Hi wolfman,
Thanks for your useful information. How much will it cost generally? Dealership told me they have to order a new key from toyota for $165, together will other costs, almost $400. but the key is much expensive than ebay. could I buy a new key myself?
Old 02-03-2015, 05:56 AM   #14
ndzzb

Quote:
They said to order a new key for $165, and look for code/cut/program/, totally about $400. I think it cost too much.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:45 AM   #15
ndzzb

Quote:
It's not the key that they are charging you $400 for. It is the Transponder key ECU (89780-52061) which is about $300 plus the replacement key (89785-60160), which is abut $35.
Hi Scott,
Where did you find the part number? Does it require VIN to find the correct part number for my car??