Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-29-2009, 05:38 PM   #19
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
lol whats a little lean, thats what worries me.(I Tried to find your initial thread but everything is deleted from the hack!!) I'll be pushing a K03, at whatever the stock wastegate setting is non intercooled just for s's and giggles. Do you think I will get a CEL on that? I might just try to pickup a management unit before i even buy the mandrel bends...
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 05:46 PM   #20
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Who knows if you'll get CEL's. My guess is ANY untuned system on the ECU is going to freak it out at some point - it's a question of whether it's within some acceptable level of tolerance.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:43 PM   #21
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Yeap,

First gen yaris TS (2000-2006) came with the 1NZ-FE 1.5L engine 106bhp

Main difference is that the first get Yaris mustly came with the 1.3L engine or the 1.0L so actually the 1.5 engine was the top of the line...
All of these were divre by cable.

These cars were normally aspirated but TRD sold a tru plug n play turbo kit that increased the power to 145 bhp
The kit came with Manifold, turbo, top mount intercooler, injectors and a new ECU.

The second Gen Yaris TS (Like mine) 2007 + comes with the new 2ZF-FE 1.8L engine (same engine on the scion xD and the new corolla and matrix)
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:48 PM   #22
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus1155 View Post
lol whats a little lean, thats what worries me.(I Tried to find your initial thread but everything is deleted from the hack!!) I'll be pushing a K03, at whatever the stock wastegate setting is non intercooled just for s's and giggles. Do you think I will get a CEL on that? I might just try to pickup a management unit before i even buy the mandrel bends...

I think the K03 is set at 8psi. At least that is what the stock VW's push on that turbo.

If you want a lower psi you should try to delete the internal wastegate and add and external unit with a spring of your choice... you can find 3, 4, 5 psi springs
Old 03-30-2009, 02:06 PM   #23
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Nexus... if it were me this is what I would do:

Use that k03 and set it to 5psi max

Add a small intercooler... there are some you can get for $60 on ebay.
Use 2" piping...
Give a try to some injectors a little smaller the the TC ones that Garm has...
These are fairly cheap so you can do some experimentation...

You could use injectors from a 1zz 1.8L engine out of a Celica GT or an MR Spyder, a step larger from a 2ZZ engine out of a Celica GT-s or Corolla xRS or the TC like Garm's if needed.

Get some cheap copper plugs, one step and 2 steps colder until you dial in your optimal set up... then you can install iridiums at the best suited heat range.

And finally get a Pyrometer (EGT gauge) it will tell you if you are running safely or in a dangerous zone...

I woud not be too concern about getting one of the CEL's that Garm described... running a little rich at partial throttel is no problem.

If that could cause you a problem for your local inspections... you can always reset the ECu and swap back the OE injector for the inspection day... (just don't go WOT on your way to the inspection)

Our cars have been designed to run on the lean side.... Some people have reported that car even goes into the 15's while crusing...
Old 04-02-2009, 11:07 AM   #24
jt258

Drives: 10' corolla ce
Quote:
Originally Posted by CASTREX View Post
Yeap,

First gen yaris TS (2000-2006) came with the 1NZ-FE 1.5L engine 106bhp

Main difference is that the first get Yaris mustly came with the 1.3L engine or the 1.0L so actually the 1.5 engine was the top of the line...
All of these were divre by cable.

These cars were normally aspirated but TRD sold a tru plug n play turbo kit that increased the power to 145 bhp
The kit came with Manifold, turbo, top mount intercooler, injectors and a new ECU.

The second Gen Yaris TS (Like mine) 2007 + comes with the new 2ZF-FE 1.8L engine (same engine on the scion xD and the new corolla and matrix)
(2ZR-FE)
jt258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:40 AM   #25
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Jeeze I didn't even see you posted that a couple of days ago, but yeah i see what you are trying to say. I really want to try and stay internally gated for simplicity of the project as i am not using a turbo manifold and dont want to make the piping overly complicated.

I confirmed that it was 7psi from factory settings from others, but ill test once i find my regulator.

I already have a small 12"x10" intercooler from an S4 which will be perfect for the job

Yeah the inspections over here suck, I don't know if they will still fail you for a soft code, or how long it takes to popup but it'll be a risk. And it even scares me how lean they run especially after turboing it.

My last thing I am trying to find out, since the K03 builds boost rather quickly is if at that 7psi will it start destroying rods because it makes good torque so low in the powerband?
Old 04-02-2009, 07:24 PM   #26
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Quote:
My last thing I am trying to find out, since the K03 builds boost rather quickly is if at that 7psi will it start destroying rods because it makes good torque so low in the powerband?
I know the K03 is a rather small turbo... But I can tell you there is no way that a K03 will spool any faster than Garms GT2554R nor produce more HP or TQ than his ball bearing turbo...

And he has not broke anything yet...

My Brother first gen TS with the TRD turbo charger has the tiniest turbo ever.. is an IHI unit. The set up has no lag what so ever and puts out 145 Hp at the crank on a bone stock 1NZ-FE... and no problem about it.

I could see some risk of breaking a rod after 180lbs/tq and you won't get there with the set up you have in mind.... try 140-150 lbs/tq
Old 04-02-2009, 08:06 PM   #27
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

yeah at 7psi i think im trying to aim for around 140, might add the intercooler, but i doubt i will need it?

The only kink i am trying to workout now is the CEL, im pretty sure i can get around it eventually.

Another turbo thread said they added a MAP sensor and clamped the MAF, that seems another plausible way to attack this to tune the fuel, i just hope the O2 doesn't freak out
Old 04-03-2009, 12:25 AM   #28
changchewsoon

Drives: Vios Turbo
Send a message via MSN to changchewsoon Send a message via Yahoo to changchewsoon
Just want to share that my setup has an added MAP sensor and the MAF voltage is clamped to prevent the ECU from throwing out a CEL, its working fine for a year now.

Tuning off based on load from the MAP is probably much more accurate then looking at the TPS and the reading from the MAF alone.
changchewsoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:06 AM   #29
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

i know you added the map sensor from the e-manage, but the lowered compression was from pistons? or from a thicker headgasket? If so where did you get the headgasket...
Old 04-03-2009, 04:26 AM   #30
changchewsoon

Send a message via MSN to changchewsoon Send a message via Yahoo to changchewsoon
Quote:
i know you added the map sensor from the e-manage, but the lowered compression was from pistons? or from a thicker headgasket? If so where did you get the headgasket...
I wanted to increase the thickness of the head gasket but realized that if it gets too thick we will have problem with the timing chain as it will be too tight to fit in.

Instead, the lowered compression was achieved by working on the cylinder head by porting it.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:19 AM   #31
1nz

Drives: Vios
most NA > Turbo cars here use double headgasket since the original headgasket is already metal and very hard to find aftermarket thicker gasket hehe

greddyvios.blogspot.com
1nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:26 AM   #32
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Ohhh thought you can mill it and shave off some thickness and increase the compression but i don't know how to decrease it that way?

If i end up doing this i might just double up the original head gasket and I also didn't think of the timing chain not fitting anymore that is a pretty good observation. I don't think they make them that thick to have issues most of the time though
Old 04-03-2009, 10:12 AM   #33
changchewsoon

I do know Cometic and MLS produces metal head gasket for our 1NZ-FE, but its thinner for increasing the compression purposes rather then decreasing it.

According to Koyama at his last visit to my tuner, JUN is currently embarking on a R&D process to produce aftermarket parts for the Honda Jazz and Yaris/Vios. If thats true, then its really good news for us 1NZ-FE owners :)
Old 04-03-2009, 10:19 AM   #34
changchewsoon

Sorry for posting at the wrong thread, but I thought of sharing this since I mentioned about JUN earlier.

They've already produced several parts for 1NZ-FE, for example this clutch kit.

http://www.junauto.co.jp/news/index-e.html?000072
Old 04-03-2009, 11:31 AM   #35
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
We prepared two sorts of clutch disc for your driving stages.
% over stock? max torque rating?

Can't really say much about that clutch without some technical data.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:17 PM   #36
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by changchewsoon View Post
Just want to share that my setup has an added MAP sensor and the MAF voltage is clamped to prevent the ECU from throwing out a CEL, its working fine for a year now.

Tuning off based on load from the MAP is probably much more accurate then looking at the TPS and the reading from the MAF alone.

That is some interesting information... can you please expalin more about it?

What MAP sensor did you used? Did you sed the one from the emanage or did you added another one?

How was the MAF signal clamped??

IIRC this is one of the problems the guys using the AEM Fic had. They were unable to clamp the MAF signal...