Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: Whats the best header? Pure performance....
DC 24 72.73%
AMK 1 3.03%
MEGAN 7 21.21%
Thunder 1 3.03%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-03-2009, 08:10 AM   #1
chongopants
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via AIM to chongopants Send a message via MSN to chongopants
Lightbulb Best Header?

I was wondering if anyone has done a side by side comparison of all the major brand of headers. Like a before and after... I would like to know which will give me the best performance before I buy em. Also I noticed a lot dont come with gaskets, I find this VERY annoying b/c I dont reuse gaskets. So little things like that which will help in the decision making process. Any info is welcome!

So far:
Megan Racing
DC Sports
AMK
Thunder Street
ANY MORE? Lemme know I'll start a poll...
chongopants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:17 AM   #2
hatchbackkid82

Drives: .
Dc Sports....no other one even compares

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11228
hatchbackkid82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:31 AM   #3
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
DC > ALL
Old 11-03-2009, 08:43 AM   #4
chongopants
Banned

there seems to be an unfixed design flaw in the bracket that it comes with...
Old 11-03-2009, 09:09 AM   #5
hatchbackkid82

Installed mine with out a hitch. Everything bolted up perfectly. Had more problems getting the O2 sensor off the stock manifold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chongopants View Post
there seems to be an unfixed design flaw in the bracket that it comes with...
Old 11-03-2009, 09:16 AM   #6
chongopants
Banned

Good to know, I am leaning towards the DC even though it is more expensive, but I have seen in several threads that the bracket doesn't line up properly... any idea what they mean?
Old 11-03-2009, 09:35 AM   #7
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
stock.

save your money for things that will actually make your car faster ;)
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:37 AM   #8
chongopants
Banned

well everything I have read says that a good header does make a difference... do you have proof otherwise...remember your on a modders forum...
Old 11-03-2009, 10:15 AM   #9
hatchbackkid82

So what he is saying is just save up your money for a SC that cost $3400 or get a custom turbo kit made. I'd rather spend $260 on a header. Keep in my mind though that no matter how many bolt on's you throw on this motor it will never break 130whp. I have an intake, header, mid pipe, axle back, nst pullies. This was an improvement over stock, i'm personally not ready to just drop that much money at once on a mod, If you have the cash for it then great go for it. But the header is a great mod i say go for it there are a lot of members on here that have it and are very happy with it, me being one of them.

Remember you pay for what you get. don't go cheap on parts you'll pay for it in the long run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
stock.

save your money for things that will actually make your car faster ;)
Old 11-03-2009, 10:41 AM   #10
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
well everything I have read says that a good header does make a difference... do you have proof otherwise...remember your on a modders forum...
show me dyno sheets of before/after the header
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:04 AM   #11
hatchbackkid82

I say get it don't let the naysayer's on here get to you. The header does make a difference, of course keep in mind that it won't be 15hp-20hp, more like 1hp-4hp, it all adds up though if you're going to be doing other mods to the car.

Quote:
Old 11-03-2009, 11:05 AM   #12
chongopants
Banned

Show me a free dyno... game, set, match...

I will get a performace gain from it I am sure, it wont be huge. But I am not ready to put a $4,000.00 Turbo or S/C on a $10,000.00 (new) car... Just not sure it is even worth it yet. I have a turbo sitting in my living room right now.. Also not to mention, this is my only vehicle and putting that kind of strain on the engine will require severe mainentance over the long haul. I put about 40k/yr in miles on my car... So i am looking for a happy medium for now thus NAS... Thanks for the input, but this is not the S/C or Turbo VS NAS thread. It is the header thread...
Old 11-03-2009, 11:09 AM   #13
hatchbackkid82

If you do the header you may want to consider getting the Nitto MP and an axle back to compliment the header. Sounds great, and every once in a while it pops

Quote:
Show me a free dyno... game, set, match...

I will get a performace gain from it I am sure, it wont be huge. But I am not ready to put a $4,000.00 Turbo or S/C on a $10,000.00 (new) car... Just not sure it is even worth it yet. I have a turbo sitting in my living room right now.. Also not to mention, this is my only vehicle and putting that kind of strain on the engine will require severe mainentance over the long haul. I put about 40k/yr in miles on my car... So i am looking for a happy medium for now thus NAS... Thanks for the input, but this is not the S/C or Turbo VS NAS thread. It is the header thread...
Old 11-03-2009, 11:18 AM   #14
chongopants
Banned

what about the CEL, will the midpipe mess with the o2 sensors? I dont want it to run to rich or lean.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:31 AM   #15
hatchbackkid82

Well I tried to just put my O2 sensor back on there with no anti fouler, and sure enough after driving a few miles i got CEL, I bought the anti fouler from Garm and haven't had any CEL. I've been CEL free for 6 months now. When you take an OBD2 car in for emmissions they just plug it up to the OBD2 port no tail pipe test.

BAM!!!!! Ask and you shall receive
http://shop.microimageonline.com/pro...0&categoryId=9

Quote:
what about the CEL, will the midpipe mess with the o2 sensors? I dont want it to run to rich or lean.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:34 AM   #16
chongopants
Banned

yeah they are on my list for when i get any exhaust work, thanks. So if I got a header and axle back it would be fine until I can get the midpip right? I have never had a car with midpipe, I always had 3" stainless from block to wheels, lol no cat, no smog, nadda... but you can do that on a carb V8...
Old 11-03-2009, 11:36 AM   #17
hatchbackkid82

Yeah you should be good if you do the header and axle back. The cat is welded to the stock mid pipe, so if you leave that alone you should still be a law abiding citizen, unlike me

Quote:
yeah they are on my list for when i get any exhaust work, thanks. So if I got a header and axle back it would be fine until I can get the midpip right? I have never had a car with midpipe, I always had 3" stainless from block to wheels, lol no cat, no smog, nadda... but you can do that on a carb V8...
Old 11-03-2009, 11:55 AM   #18
chongopants
Banned

I dont care about that so much, I am in TX after all.. But removing the cat has long term implicattions on your engine, and can throw CELs so I dont plan on doing it. I will just get a high flow cat.