Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-19-2017, 07:27 PM   #1
Yaris709

Drives: 07 yaris
Front tow hook?

Question about the front tow hook, are they universal for all toyotas? My yaris doesn't have one in the trunk and it would have came in handy a couple times this winter. And I can't find any scrapped yaris's to get one
Yaris709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:10 PM   #2
m.flores.0928

Drives: 2014 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris709 View Post
Question about the front tow hook, are they universal for all toyotas? My yaris doesn't have one in the trunk and it would have came in handy a couple times this winter. And I can't find any scrapped yaris's to get one

Pretty sure they're all the same thread pitch and diameter. The length of them vary so if you find one long enough, it should work. They're pretty short. Mine is, anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
m.flores.0928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:23 AM   #3
David C

Drives: White '07 3dr LB
Ah, I'm pretty sure that if I'd ever need mine, I'd have a hard time threading it into the chassis hole, since it's been rusting away for 10 years behind that silly plastic cap.

I could measure the thread and length of mine if it helps.
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:26 AM   #4
m.flores.0928

Drives: 2014 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
Ah, I'm pretty sure that if I'd ever need mine, I'd have a hard time threading it into the chassis hole, since it's been rusting away for 10 years behind that silly plastic cap.

I wouldn't know what's long enough to fit off the top of my head I just figured any Toyota one would work fine (Camry, corolla, etc)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
m.flores.0928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:50 AM   #5
Dabuu
Radical Dreamer

Drives: spiritedly.
There's at least two different kinds in my experience. One is a larger diameter with fine threads and another that is a smaller diameter with coarse threads.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:48 AM   #6
Yaris709

Quote:

Sure yeah that would be a good help! Needed it last couple days too. Pushing cars is a pain
Old 03-24-2017, 12:57 PM   #7
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
The question of the thread pitch on this comes up frequently on this and other forums. Zero of them actually have the thread pitch in them, so I'd love to have it officially published once and for all. ;)

*EDIT*
I just got mine and measured. M24x2.0!

Last edited by CrankyOldMan; 03-24-2017 at 01:42 PM.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 02:07 PM   #8
David C

Front tow hook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris709 View Post
Sure yeah that would be a good help! Needed it last couple days too. Pushing cars is a pain

How in the heck do you get stuck with your car ? My Yaris goes in and out of everything everywhere. Tire selection maybe ?

Someone posted a size, however should also specify for which body style, model year and country.

I could sell you mine if it fits, I'll never use it anyway.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:17 PM   #9
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
I'll never use it anyway.
That's what I thought until I got stuck for the first time in early Feb. If you never leave your urban confines, then yes you'll never need it. Once you go rural, it's a whole new ball game.

It's like those boxes that never get unpacked for years after moving. Days after you decide to give the shit to charity, you suddenly need something that was in there.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:14 PM   #10
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Drives: '09 3-door 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
The question of the thread pitch on this comes up frequently on this and other forums. Zero of them actually have the thread pitch in them, so I'd love to have it officially published once and for all. ;)

*EDIT*
I just got mine and measured. M24x2.0!
Yep, that's what my trusty WTF scale said, too. I pulled ones from an '07 and '09 hatchback, and they're the same. They're about 8¼", or 210mm, long overall, 165mm to the beginning of the loop.

scratchpaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 04:40 PM   #11
David C

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
That's what I thought until I got stuck for the first time in early Feb. If you never leave your urban confines, then yes you'll never need it. Once you go rural, it's a whole new ball game.

It's like those boxes that never get unpacked for years after moving. Days after you decide to give the shit to charity, you suddenly need something that was in there.

Hehe, I've done a fair share of remote driving and off road trails with this car already. Been in deep snow, ice roads, frozen lakes, snowy mountain trails, etc. and even if I ever got stuck, rarely would there have been someone around to pull me out. And there's more than plenty Yaris bodies at the junkyards here for me to buy another tow hook. I just thought the op might not want a junkyard rusted tow hook if he'll end up using it often whereas mine would keep quiet in the back.

To the OP, I can buy you one from the junkyard and shop it to you if you can't find any locally. However, if you look on Amazon or eBay, you should easily find strap or eye bolt tow hook with the thread you need for cheaper than what it would cost to buy one at the yard and have it shipped.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:48 PM   #12
B.B._07

Drives: 07 5dr
They don't appear to be universal for all Toyota's as ebay listings for replacement hooks state they are compatible with specific models like the 05-16 RAV4, 01-06 Camry, 05 and up Yaris, etc. The models listed appear to be the only models for sale in Europe but they do omit models for sale in Europe like the Aygo, Auris, etc as well as North America models like the Corolla.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Tow-hook-towi...-/271642603925

There also seems to be many Chinese made aluminum options available.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Craz...08.4.29.fxqCGZ
B.B._07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:42 PM   #13
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
There is an M14 version, but I don't know which vehicles it goes to.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:45 PM   #14
David C

M14 is rather small, it's better be made of structural steel alloy or it could bend if pulled sideways.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:54 PM   #15
Yaris709

I think I'll order off ebay or Amazon or something along those lines. Thanks anyways though everyone! And it's not hard to get a car stuck in newfoundland. I've gotten this car stuck in the middle of the road a couple of times now. And I try to do things and go places where small cars shouldn't hahaha. At least this car has rear tow hooks too, on the front would just benough beneficial
Old 03-26-2017, 07:27 PM   #16
David C

Front tow hook?

I've been on sand trails where it was plastered every where with "wet sand areas, 4x4 only, dead end". Look on people's face was priceless from their all mighty Jeep's throne when I was passing them by haha
Old 04-23-2017, 06:33 PM   #17
David C

And I've been axle deep in swamp hehe

Old 05-17-2017, 05:25 PM   #18
BIGTAZ351
147K-Blue / 24K-Yellow

Drives: 2010 Ylw 3dr. AT(Blue-Wife's)
Tires Tires Tires

With my General Altimax Arctics, I have pushed snow with the front bumper LEVEL with the bottom of the headlights, driven on slick roads @ 50 mph while people in 4x4 vehicles are doing 35. Muddy slick gravel roads are nothing… Rain drenched tar roads and no hydroplaning. TIRES ARE EVERYTHING!

I Drag raced a 4x4 F150 on a hard-packed snow gravel road on a bet; He was very embarrassed to have been bested by a FWD Car (His words “Garbage Can”). To my credit he “Thinks his big mud tires help him” I know better than that.

Repair List:
1 new blower motor, making funny noise. @ 91K (Water pump @ 120K)
Mod List:
1. Black tape on most of the annoying blue high beam light behind the lens. (thank you CTScott)
BIGTAZ351 is offline   Reply With Quote