Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-19-2006, 02:07 AM   #1
Terrorize
Toyota Newb!!

Drives: Yaris S Sedan w/ Aero Package!
Tanabe NF210's installed...got a question though

Hey guys...just got my NF210's installed and everything is great! I'm not going to post any pics as everyone has already seen like at least 2 other members here post up pics of their Yaris Sedan with the NF's installed!

But i do have a question.... my mechanic said he didn't cut the bump stops or something like that when he installed the springs? He said they (Tanabe manual) recommended that this be done....but he figured its better that they weren't cut...what is he talking about? Also....is there anything negative or positive about cutting or not cutting it?

Thanks
Terrorize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 02:57 AM   #2
03Z33

Drives: TCR10
The bump stop is a rubber "stopper" that goes around the front strut shaft inside of the spring. This piece keeps the strut from bottoming out on big bumps.

When you lower the car, the chance of running into the bump stop is greater and you should usually cut it a bit, to avoid riding on the bump stops too much (which is bad for handling and feels bad too).

After driving for a few days, you should be able to tell if you're running into them, if the ride feels harsh on bigger bumps/woops. If so, just slide up the dust cover, and you should be able to trim the bump stop without having to remove the suspension.
03Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 08:16 AM   #3
SimmZ

Drives: 2k3 Cavalier & 2k2 Echo
Whatever you think...

Old 09-19-2006, 10:08 AM   #4
03Z33

Drives: TCR10
I don't have any of my "own" pics but here are a few I stole from Chris07LB and Badhabitz threads:

Here is the thread where Chris explains how to install the suspension:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1096
03Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:03 AM   #5
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Bump stops NEED to be shortened! Period. Do it asap, your struts will thank you for it.
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:24 AM   #6
ItsMyDaily
The LittleBastard

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I'm thinking about getting the same springs. How does the ride feel compared to stock? I'm curious because I'd like the car to be lower, but I do not want to upset the comfort level of the ride. Is it bumpier now or has the ride remained the same just lowered? Thankx in advance.

2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback - Current
2004 Honda S2000 - Sold
1986 Toyota Corolla SR5 - Sold

DIY: Groundwire Kit
ItsMyDaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 12:43 PM   #7
esquiva
Noypi ako!

Drives: 07 S Sedan 5-Speed M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMyDaily
I'm thinking about getting the same springs. How does the ride feel compared to stock? I'm curious because I'd like the car to be lower, but I do not want to upset the comfort level of the ride. Is it bumpier now or has the ride remained the same just lowered? Thankx in advance.
i just installed my NFs as well...excellent ride quality....like stock....thats the reason why i went with NFs

Nene jr.: tay, peram naman ng kotse o...
Boy Bastos: sige pero isang kondisyon. mag-ano muna tayo.
Nene jr.: tay meron ako ngayon e. blowjob na lang kita.
Boy bastos: o sige.
pagkatapos ng blowjob...
Nene jr.: tay, bat lasang tae yung etits nyo?
Boy bastos: ah ganon ba? hiniram kasi ng kuya
mo kanina yung kotse e!
esquiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 01:37 PM   #8
ItsMyDaily
The LittleBastard

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquiva
i just installed my NFs as well...excellent ride quality....like stock....thats the reason why i went with NFs
awesome thank you. I'm going to be ordering mine soon.

2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback - Current
2004 Honda S2000 - Sold
1986 Toyota Corolla SR5 - Sold

DIY: Groundwire Kit
ItsMyDaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 12:56 AM   #9
El Jefe

Drives: 07 yaris s sedan
ok i did not cut my bump stops, and they do not bottom out.
chris, how are the struts going to be effected but not cutting them? please explain this one to me.
El Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 02:33 AM   #10
RSboyz

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrorize
Hey guys...just got my NF210's installed and everything is great! I'm not going to post any pics as everyone has already seen like at least 2 other members here post up pics of their Yaris Sedan with the NF's installed!

But i do have a question.... my mechanic said he didn't cut the bump stops or something like that when he installed the springs? He said they (Tanabe manual) recommended that this be done....but he figured its better that they weren't cut...what is he talking about? Also....is there anything negative or positive about cutting or not cutting it?

Thanks
im thinking of getting my car lower and yeah i have no idea as to getting which springs for the yaris but i noticed a lot of you ppl out there have the tanabe NFs so im just wondering how much lower is it after installation compare to the stock ones? and since you are living in canada, can you tell me what was the total cost including shipping with the springs to canada. thank you.
RSboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 07:46 AM   #11
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Jefe
ok i did not cut my bump stops, and they do not bottom out.
chris, how are the struts going to be effected but not cutting them? please explain this one to me.
Everytime you hit a bump, or pothole, and you "feel" the hit in the front end, that's your suspension bottoming out! You are stopping the range of motion, or cycle of your front struts, by keeping the bump stop at stock length with a lowered suspension... meaning the bumpstop/strut is taking all the impact, and not allowing the strut to absorb the impact or road differences.

I dont know why this 30 second step in cutting a bumpstop is always overlooked, even when is said in the INSTRUCTIONS more then once.

To the original poster, take it back to who you paid, and MAKE them fix it... or tell them you want new struts, as your will be crapola soon.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:08 AM   #12
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
Good advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrorize
He said they (Tanabe manual) recommended that this be done....but he figured its better that they weren't cut.
Doesn't that really say it all?
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 12:20 AM   #13
El Jefe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris07LB
Everytime you hit a bump, or pothole, and you "feel" the hit in the front end, that's your suspension bottoming out! You are stopping the range of motion, or cycle of your front struts, by keeping the bump stop at stock length with a lowered suspension... meaning the bumpstop/strut is taking all the impact, and not allowing the strut to absorb the impact or road differences.
umm ya so the valve isnt slamming into the base of the shock/strut body. so the foam of the bump stop takes the hit.....so what. it's not going to damage the valve or seals inside the shock/strut or the body of it, and it's highly unlikely to bend the rod but just hitting the bump stop a little bit.
now if the car is absolutly slammed its a different thing, but the NF's only drop it 1.5" and my car does not bottom out at all.

just stop trying to make it seem like the world is going to end if you don't cut the bump stop.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:09 AM   #14
Terrorize
Toyota Newb!!

Drives: Yaris S Sedan w/ Aero Package!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSboyz
im thinking of getting my car lower and yeah i have no idea as to getting which springs for the yaris but i noticed a lot of you ppl out there have the tanabe NFs so im just wondering how much lower is it after installation compare to the stock ones? and since you are living in canada, can you tell me what was the total cost including shipping with the springs to canada. thank you.
Hey dude...

Yes the NF's are great for getting the lowered look without having it too low to worry about curbs, and speed bumps getting in the way and scratching up your car...i have the front lip that comes with the Aero package here and it does hit anything with the NF's on. Hmm...i'm going to take some pics of my car soon since another member said -
So i will take some....soon hopefully.

Oh yeah forgot to mention that C2Auto hooked me up...so pm him to get you pricing...depends where you live Canada for shipping and all...so msg him..
Terrorize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:37 AM   #15
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Quote:
umm ya so the valve isnt slamming into the base of the shock/strut body. so the foam of the bump stop takes the hit.....so what. it's not going to damage the valve or seals inside the shock/strut or the body of it, and it's highly unlikely to bend the rod but just hitting the bump stop a little bit.
now if the car is absolutly slammed its a different thing, but the NF's only drop it 1.5" and my car does not bottom out at all.

just stop trying to make it seem like the world is going to end if you don't cut the bump stop.
Since you already know it all, why bother asking questions?

Get on the horn and ask TANABE direct then, ask for Mike. Ask THEM, the makers of the part, why THEY tell you to cut the bump stops. I'm settled at a little over 2" lower from stock, so yea, it does make a difference.

Dont know why I bother giving my 0.02 to fools like you.

Last edited by Chris07LB; 09-21-2006 at 08:02 AM.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:36 AM   #16
El Jefe

this fool here happens to be an ASE master tech, california smog tech, kia master tech and on my way to becoming a nissan master tech, so stop trying to act like you are the god of the yaris ok?

all im trying to say is don't make things out to be more than they really are, telling him how it's going to get all fucked up just because he didn't cut the bumps is ridiculas.
-to the original poster
from my own personal experience in my sedan with nf210's and non cut bump stops, i've had my car fully loaded down with camping gear and never had a problem. with over 3000miles since i put the springs on they are not leaking nor bent - no problems what so ever. don't worry unless you have really bad roads around you.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:59 AM   #17
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
One of the nice things about this forum is the general lack of personal attacks (flaming). People seem more interested in sharing their experiences and helping each other out than in nursing their egos. It would be great to keep it that way.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 10:48 AM   #18
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Quote:
so stop trying to act like you are the god of the yaris ok?
Listen Jeffo, I answer posts the best I can, based on my personal experiences. How does that make me a "god"? Go bark up another tree.