Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-01-2007, 09:58 PM   #1
jaggurnaut

Drives: 2007 - Yaris
Maintanence Required Light

I had the maintanence required light turn on (on all the time) as soon as i hit 5k, 10k, 15k, 20k and 25k. When i recently hit 30k though it just flashed during startup and stayed off. I asked the dealer about this and they said thats a good thing because the sensor tests the oil consistency etc. and the oil they put at 25k is still good.

I know she was giving me bulls**t about the oil sensor. While I do not have much hands on experience, I do have a PhD in mechanical engineering. I would program the maintanence light to just go on every 5k miles regardless of the oil condition. What do you guys think?

PS: I got the 30K service already. just wondering if I am right
jaggurnaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 05:17 AM   #2
jdium
Mr Attitude

Drives: Blazing Blue 5 Spd
Tests the oil? Ya, and your car automatically turns on the vents when you fart...

Time for an oil change, and don't take it to that dealer...
Old 08-02-2007, 07:58 AM   #3
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
You would have been justified in smacking that dealer upside the head.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:40 AM   #4
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
Ya she thought she knew what she was talking about. It has an oil sniffer built in and tells ya if it needs to be changed .....ya right
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 10:54 AM   #5
bugnuts

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback BBP
Ya Right! And i suppose the are going to try and tell you that there is a gage on your dash that tells you how much gas is in your tank! Damn Dealers! I just counts the miles and thats it, I was thinking about this the other day, What if you let that light stay on for a few thousand more miles before the oil got changed and soon after by sure coincidence your engine locks up a few weeks later, You take the car to the dealership and try to collect on that warranty when they soon tell you that the mechanic checked the "computer log" and it showed that you did not change the oil at the correct time and it is now your fault? Am i just paranoid? could it happen like this? or is Toyota a lot less of snake than the "not so big three"?
Old 08-02-2007, 12:29 PM   #6
AlphaFox

Drives: 07' Yaris Liftback - silver
I doubt it. just reset the light yourself if your that concerned.
AlphaFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:49 PM   #7
reznunt
Hi!

Drives: EF Sedan
if you think he's bs'ing you, ask him to point to the viscometer. lol
reznunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:49 PM   #8
jaggurnaut

Drives: 2007 - Yaris
5k from last change

I am still amazed by the answer she gave me. I havent observed that the light turns on 5k from the last milage it was reset on. The light always turns on exactly when i hit 5k, 10k 15k etc. except this time when i hit 30k. Will have to wait fro 35k to see what happens.
jaggurnaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 05:40 PM   #9
That0neGuy124

Drives: Yaris Liftback Blaze Blue
well on mine when i get 1000 miles from needing an oil change it will flash when i start it then turn off. and once i reach 5000 it will stay on. once the oil gets changed it will turn off. it's kinda weird that it is doing it at 30k. did you get the oil changed yet? cuz i'm pretty sure they just hit a switch or something to reset the light to go off every 5000 miles once they change it anyway.
That0neGuy124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 10:38 PM   #10
deadworld

Drives: 2007 4dr yaris
how do you reset this light? dealer scan tool only? or is there a " hit this button and that one" procedure to reset?
deadworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:02 AM   #11
That0neGuy124

Drives: Yaris Liftback Blaze Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadworld View Post
how do you reset this light? dealer scan tool only? or is there a " hit this button and that one" procedure to reset?
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3940

that post has steps on how to do it.

basically, turn the car on, put the trip meter to A. turn the car off, hold the trip reset button down and turn on the car (youdon't have to start it, just have it on). while you are still holding the button down the maint requ light should blink. when it stops blinking kill the car, then let go of the button. start the car again and the light should be off.

the posted thread gives some more detail on how to do it. so i would read up on it.
That0neGuy124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:08 PM   #12
mkorejwo

Drives: 2010 5 door hatchback
It is possible to monitor the condition of the oil in real-time. Some cars have such a thing. One method detects the percentage of particulate material. New oil has very little, dirty oil is loaded with carbon particles. Wiki pedia has good information on turbidity.

Toyota tell us, in the owners manual, how to reset the light:
Buried on page 121 of the handy manual.....

ref: 2007 Yaris hatchback from Jan '06 Prod (OM52700U), page 121, item (m):

"

The system must be reset after the engine oil replacement. Reset the system by the following procedure:

1. Turn the ignition key to the "OFF" position with the trip A reading shown.

2. Turn the ignition key to the "ON" position while holding down the trip meter reset knob.

Hold down the knob for at least 5 seconds. The indication light flashes and the bars displayed in the odometer disappear gradually. The odometer indicates "000000" and the light goes off.

If the system fails to reset, the light will continue flashing. "

Well these instructions seem reasonable. Toyota isn't telling us the mileage interval (probably 5000 miles) and it probably can be reset anytime, and the light will turnon when 5000 miles has elapsed. I think the light is just tied to an elapsed mileage counter. If you reset it at 7,000 miles, it would just turn on again at 12,000 miles.
mkorejwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:34 PM   #13
jdium
Mr Attitude

Drives: Blazing Blue 5 Spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorejwo View Post
It is possible to monitor the condition of the oil in real-time. Some cars have such a thing. One method detects the percentage of particulate material. New oil has very little, dirty oil is loaded with carbon particles. Wiki pedia has good information on turbidity.
Wikipedia would have good information on my left testicle if I typed it up there! While your info may be right, if you want any credibility, please don't list Wikipedia as a reference...
Old 08-14-2007, 12:29 AM   #14
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
Have em fix it if it doesn't work again after 5,000 miles....or find out who the idiot is that reset it without tellin ya!

Not sure but think it goes for 5,000 miles from when you reset it...not at every 5,000 mile mark on the odo.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:35 AM   #15
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
Nope... not there: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special...testicle&go=Go
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:07 AM   #16
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
LOL @ Violin

Quote:
I asked the dealer about this and they said thats a good thing because the sensor tests the oil consistency
Hey can we get the number for that dealership and the name of the person who told you the car tests the oil? I'd like to make an appointment to have that feature added to my $11,000 car.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote