Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-21-2009, 02:58 AM   #1
The Marshall

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5-Door, Black
Dashboard digital thermometer?

Sorry if this has been asked before, I did a search and came up with nothing.

When driving in the light, I noticed there is a digital thermometer readout on the LCD with the odometer, that doesn't do anything (as in you can see that the digits are there but aren't lit). Does anyone know how to activate that? Is it a matter of getting a temperature probe and wiring it in to the ECU or something like that? Or is this a standard feature that for some reason is broken on mine?

I rented a 2009 Pontiac Vibe for a couple of weeks while waiting for my write-off cheque and really liked the feature.

Anyone have any ideas?
The Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:33 AM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
It's disabled on all our cars, but by all means there should be a way to make it work, seeing as the sensor is actually present on the car (used for the air conditioning), it's just that nobody has figured out how yet

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:12 AM   #3
Kongo-Otto

Drives: '09 Yaris & '10 Auris
Oh really? Do you mean this one?

As far as i know all Yaris here have it if they got factory a/c.
Kongo-Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:14 AM   #4
The Marshall

Yeah, that's exactly the one.

My LCD is white on blue but is otherwise identical.

It is a 2007 5-door, with factory a/c, Canadian model. I will take a pic tomorrow.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:18 AM   #5
The Marshall

Mine is identical to this stock photo from Toyota, except with a different stock Toyota deck. This press photo shows there is no outside temp gauge, weird...

MAYBE it is disabled in North America because that would be easier than having to program it for Fahrenheit/Celsius? Just a guess?
Old 07-21-2009, 09:39 AM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
There is a separate ambient temperature sensor for the display on the combination meter (separate from the one for the AC system). The US EWD's don't show it, but the European ones do. It connects directly between pins 4 and 23 of the D1 connector to the combination meter.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:04 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
you have the part no. for it?
I haven't been able to find the part number yet. It's definitely not listed in the US/Canada EPC, and searching is painful in the European one, unless you have a VIN for a car that contains the part.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:25 PM   #8
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
Just kind of an aside... Where is the actual temperature probe located?

Maybe someone could remove the clock and in this in it's place? Clock, indoor, and outdoor temps -- can run on 12V, too. The clock is easily removed, fwiw.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Digital-Car-Indo...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by Sodium Duck; 07-21-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Sodium Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:11 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

I'm not sure where the one is that feeds the equipped combination meters, but the one for the AC is mounted to a plastic bracket below the radiator. Replacing the clock modules would definitely be one way to add it to the non-equipped meter.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:33 AM   #10
Kongo-Otto

I searched the european EPC for this temp sensor. I found two sensors. One is mounted behind the front bumper, the other one is mounted under the right side of the dashboard.

But the EPC says the dashboard sensor is for auto-A/C not manual A/C. I got manual A/C so i guess the dashboard sensor is NOT needed to display the temperature. There must be other reasons why you can not see the temperature.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:51 AM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kongo-Otto View Post
I searched the european EPC for this temp sensor. I found two sensors. One is mounted behind the front bumper, the other one is mounted under the right side of the dashboard.

But the EPC says the dashboard sensor is for auto-A/C not manual A/C. I got manual A/C so i guess the dashboard sensor is NOT needed to display the temperature. There must be other reasons why you can not see the temperature.

I saw that as well in the EPC, but that dash mounted sensor connects to the AC amplifier. as opposed to the cluster. Maybe the sensor for the cluster comes with it, so there is not a separate part number for it.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:12 AM   #12
Kongo-Otto

I dont think the dash comes with its own sensor since my car displays the outside temperature. The inside temperature was much higher when i shot the photo. I am sure it gets his values from the sensor behind the front bumper.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:50 AM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kongo-Otto View Post
I dont think the dash comes with its own sensor since my car displays the outside temperature. The inside temperature was much higher when i shot the photo. I am sure it gets his values from the sensor behind the front bumper.
Actually that is correct! I just looked at the AC EWD and noticed that the ambient temperature sensor is on connector B5 (pins 1 and 2). On the combination meter EWD it is also connector B5 (pins 1 and 2). At junction connector BA1, it splits to the AC amplifier and the combination meter.