Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-27-2009, 07:40 AM   #1
nick.dollimount
Yaris = <3

Drives: '08 Sedan - Flint Mica
My BestBuy Experience

On Friday, I was listening to music in my car without it running, waiting for my friend when I noticed that there was something that sounded a little odd. So I adjusted the deck to go to each speaker individually and found that the front driver-side speaker was scratchy. Yesterday it was nice out so while I was bored at the shop, I took my deck out to check the wires. They were fine. I then took the door panel off to check the speaker wires. As I was putting the electrical tape back onto the second wire, I looked down at the speaker itself and noticed a slice right across the rubber surround. I looked closer to see a gash in the hard plastic right next to it as if it had been done with a screw driver or something like that. So the guy at BestBuy who did the install had done it... After taking the speaker out, I noticed that on top of that, the magnet was too big and my window was actually hitting it when it would roll down. There was a dent scratched into the magnet from the window glass. Lucky the window didn't hit it and shatter.

So I bought a new set of speakers that were more shallow as to not hit the window. Installed the driver-side one, tested good. After installing the passenger-side one, I picked up the old speaker to find that he had done the same to that speaker too! The damage was only half across the rubber surround so it was still "working". I can't believe the guy would do that. And he should have known about the window thing if this is what he does for a living. All just to make the sale. I'm highly unimpressed.

Anyone else have a similar experience?
==============================
Debadged Rear; Blue Interior Styling; Toyota Sports Pedals; AM Exhaust Tip; OEM Spoiler; Upgraded Speakers; Sony Xplod BT 2600 Deck; Infinity Basslink SUB/AMP in Trunk; 16" Konig Rims; 6000k HID Bi-Xenons; 6000k HID Fogs; NST Short Shifter
nick.dollimount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:00 AM   #2
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
how long have the speakers been in?

i like this smiley...
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:04 AM   #3
nick.dollimount
Yaris = <3

Just a little over a year. I assume the driver-side speaker was originally like the passenger-side one so it wasn't distorted until the tear became larger. Either that or I never noticed it over the sound of the sub woofer.
Debadged Rear; Blue Interior Styling; Toyota Sports Pedals; AM Exhaust Tip; OEM Spoiler; Upgraded Speakers; Sony Xplod BT 2600 Deck; Infinity Basslink SUB/AMP in Trunk; 16" Konig Rims; 6000k HID Bi-Xenons; 6000k HID Fogs; NST Short Shifter
Old 07-27-2009, 08:14 AM   #4
silver_echo
ekodrvr

too bad you did not notice it sooner.... if you had, you could have told them, shown them, and made them pay for new ones installed somewhere else...

i like this smiley...
Old 07-27-2009, 08:22 AM   #5
nick.dollimount
Yaris = <3

I agree completely. I'm not one to every make a stink about things but for a "professional install", this is just unacceptable. I'm tempted to go in to let them know about it regardless if they do anything. Just so they know it happened.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:47 AM   #6
silver_echo
ekodrvr

find out if the "tech" still works there... if so, make sure that they know... if not, that might be why he was fired/laid off/quit...

i like this smiley...
Old 07-27-2009, 09:00 AM   #7
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Sucks to hear things like that, but "professional install" and "best buy" don't belong in the same sentence.

I've read / listened to too many stories about them doing poor installs, and hack jobs on brand new cars.

I would grab the store manager and maybe he can refund you something.
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:09 AM   #8
nick.dollimount
Yaris = <3

Yeah, even one of the drill holes was only half there because he drilled right on the edge of the metal for it. It's pretty bad that my first speaker install to correct his mistake turned out a lot nicer.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:42 PM   #9
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris07LB View Post
Sucks to hear things like that, but "professional install" and "best buy" don't belong in the same sentence.

I've read / listened to too many stories about them doing poor installs, and hack jobs on brand new cars.

I would grab the store manager and maybe he can refund you something.
Sadly, I once knew a sys installer who joked about doing the same thing.

I would never go to a chain store to get a sys installed.
Your best bet is to go to a privately owned sound installer that has plenty of experience and gets great recomendatios.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:28 PM   #10
nickav21

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris sedan
I'm really sorry to hear that, but at least around here everyone, EVERYONE knows not to get anything installed at Best Buy. They have a terrible reputation for doing crappy work. It's definitely not the first time I've heard about crap work done by BB. ALWAYS either do it yourself or pay a car audio shop to do it.
nickav21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:33 PM   #11
pEAchEzpwnz

Drives: 09 liftback yellow jolt
I work at best buy (actually sitting here at work right now). I would definitely go back there. If you payed with a credit card, or have a reward zone card they can look up your reciept in their computers to verify that you did get the installers to work on your car. Even though its been a year maybe you can show the damage to them and also speak with the general manager and try to get them to at least give you store credit or something. But yelling at them is always fun too. I know Best Buy installers do have a bad rep, but it should be getting better. All BBy employees just had to finish a bunch of certification tests so that we know what we are doing along with what we are talking bout.

Ps: I dont recommend working at BBy...unless u buy a lot of electronics stuff because there's an amazing employee discount..hence, the reason i'm still there
pEAchEzpwnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:01 PM   #12
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
I had a simular experience when best by did my front speakers. The speakers wernt installed into the speaker bracket correct. In fact they were not even screwed into the holes designed to screw them to the bracket. But clamped onto th ebracked by screwing them at angles to hold it in place. Resulting in the speaker from falling out of the door pannel and making a horrible rattle. Soon as i took the door panel off to inspect the speaker fell out of place.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote