Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-30-2009, 08:59 AM   #1
vector9mm

Drives: blue 08 hb
Ford Fiesta vs. Yaris

First off, I love my yaris, but I average 34 MPG and for a small car that's not good. I just read about the Fiesta comming to the USA and it rocks. They say it should get a combined average of 40 MPG and has 120 HP and 112 lb. ft. of torque. To top it off it weighs 2,158. This thing ought to really scoot. I knew that this kind of car could be built to get near what the hybribs get in MPG. I'm not ready to ditch my Yaris but in a few years who knows. I predict that Toyota will make some improvements to the Yaris to keep up. Of course I would trust my Yaris over the Fiesta in reliability.
vector9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:50 AM   #2
JBougie
Banned

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB (Prev: 07 Sedan)
I average 41mph in the Yaris, and I don't take extra time to try and get the best gas mileage I can get. Try changing up your driving style, it will help a lot.
JBougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:53 AM   #3
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
I've averaged just over 40mpg for the life of my yaris (39.xx the past 90days)... and during the summer months I average 43mpg for daily driving.... 1/3 of my miles have been on long trips doing 70-80mph and that has really hurt my running average, without those trips my avg would be closer to 42mpg.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:21 PM   #4
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Drives: '11 Mazdaspeed 3
Send a message via AIM to Sabretooth
Only thing that the Fiesta has going for it, Its origionally a Mazda, so it should be reliable... then its a good looking car, so it should keep Ford alive for another year, maybe. If they keep making the right moves to bring their good cars from Europe to here, they should live a prolonged, and happy life
Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 01:54 PM   #5
wooverstone8

Drives: 2017 VW Jetta 1.4L Manual
I've been keeping a detail MPG log after buying a brand new Yaris in Feburary. Since purchase, I have avarage 38MPG with my Yaris and I drive in heavy traffic. My Yaris is 100% stock and all tires are at the normal 32PSI.
wooverstone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:00 PM   #6
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
First off, the Fiesta will be a great vehicle. Estimates at this point are saying 31/39, which would be the best on the subcompact market (EPA estimates). However, I have a feeling it will not acheive these estimates.

Yaris is rated at 29/36. Frankly, I find 34mpg pretty darn good. It's certainly one of the highest non-hybrid EPA highway ratings on the market.

Anyway, I think the Fiesta could be a huge car for Ford in the U.S., especially if it's as good as everyone says it is.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:07 PM   #7
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
really under 2200 lbs? NICE
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:19 PM   #8
vector9mm

I knew some of you would miss the point and say things like "I get 50
MPG in my yaris." That's all well and good but the test I read said about 10% more HP and probably about 40MPG average city/hiway which is way better
than 29/36. Now maybe it won't get that, the article didn't have EPA estimates yet. So to sum it up, More MPG's and more HP. That is better, right?
Old 05-30-2009, 02:24 PM   #9
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Dude, all the info about the fiesta is so wishy washy they could say anything they want right now. I'm making a car, and I'm hoping to get 300 hp, 100 mpg, that seats 12 and weighs 1500 lbs. I'll believe it when I see it right?? My guess is that if there is a 120 hp version it will start at around 15k, not the 12k they've been advertising.

Its a copy cat move, and ford, as always, is one of the last to jump on the bandwagon. Why am I supposed to be excited? Oh ya that's right, they gave them away to a bunch of hipsters on the internet. They MUST be awesome.

Oh, and it might save ford, but it won't save the US economy. The fiesta(aptly named) will be built in mexico.

edit: and a link to the fiesta(non diesel) getting 40mpg combined would be super
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:39 PM   #10
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
OP, the test you read about didn't include EPA estimates, as you pointed out. Now you have them, but you ignore them. What's the point of having a discussion if new factual information isn't accepted along the way? 31/39 is less than the previously reported combined 40.

Further, if other members share that their driving behavior results in better mileage, why not consider that as possibly valuable to you, instead of making a sarcastic comment?

More power = great! Light weight = great! Sounds like a great addition to the small car market, and I'm glad it's coming from Ford.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:57 PM   #11
Sandwash

Drives: 2009 Yaris w/man.trans.
Fiesta's Been around for Decades

The Fiesta's been in production for 30 years. I bought one of the last sold in USA imported from Germany in 1980. Put 150,000 miles on it and it was economical, a kick to drive, and very dependable. Had they been available now i certainly would have test drove prior to buying. Of course, I am very happy with my month-old Yaris and have no complaints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
Dude, all the info about the fiesta is so wishy washy they could say anything they want right now. I'm making a car, and I'm hoping to get 300 hp, 100 mpg, that seats 12 and weighs 1500 lbs. I'll believe it when I see it right?? My guess is that if there is a 120 hp version it will start at around 15k, not the 12k they've been advertising.

Its a copy cat move, and ford, as always, is one of the last to jump on the bandwagon. Why am I supposed to be excited? Oh ya that's right, they gave them away to a bunch of hipsters on the internet. They MUST be awesome.

Oh, and it might save ford, but it won't save the US economy. The fiesta(aptly named) will be built in mexico.

edit: and a link to the fiesta(non diesel) getting 40mpg combined would be super
Sandwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:09 PM   #12
aclark246
50 MPG or BUST!

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris Sedan
When my girlfriend bought her yaris about 3 years ago when they first came to the states I remember seeing something like 40 mpg highway on the window sticker. Now with the EPA actually testing it the highway is something like 35 mpg. I'm not knocking the Fiesta, a high FE car is a high FE car, I'm just saying that when it comes out we will see how it really stands up to the yaris in terms of the mpg's. Like previously mentioned, they can say anything they want about its FE for publicity since it is not out yet.

If it does get better EPA Fuel Economy than the yaris then that would be awesome. I get 40+ in my yaris (yearly avg.) so it would be cool to see what I could get in higher EPA rated car. I just wish they would bring the Civic VX back, I've heard legendary stories about them in the 90s (I'm only 19.)
Old 05-30-2009, 04:59 PM   #13
vector9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
OP, the test you read about didn't include EPA estimates, as you pointed out. Now you have them, but you ignore them. What's the point of having a discussion if new factual information isn't accepted along the way? 31/39 is less than the previously reported combined 40.

Further, if other members share that their driving behavior results in better mileage, why not consider that as possibly valuable to you, instead of making a sarcastic comment?

More power = great! Light weight = great! Sounds like a great addition to the small car market, and I'm glad it's coming from Ford.

First off I didn't see the 31/39 for myself. That may be the real EPA. Either way, It still beats 29/36 and has more power to boot. I didn't want this to devolve into a thread about how we can achieve better mpg's. There's plenty of those. I don't want this to sound like I'm down on Yaris either. I've seen motorcycles come a long way in power and gas mileage and I was just happy to see Ford offering us a choice.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:48 PM   #14
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
It is a pretty nice car and I'm glad Ford is finally bringing it over.

Ford has taken a huge leap forward in just two years. It's time to take notice.

The Fiesta is very unlikely to recieve an EPA 40 mpg rating (highway). Maybe about 37, and about 30 city.

I give very high praise on the brilliant interior. This is one of Ford's best interiors ever and it's in a sub-compact! Everyone else will have to step it up.
Attached Images

Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 07:56 PM   #15
Airforce1

Drives: VW Jetta VR6
Very nice.....i love the car but i cannot see myself driving a ford....haha i dont know why i just cant get over that
Airforce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:04 PM   #16
firebob

Drives: 09 yaris
Ford stopped work on the Fiesta during the auto makers bail out. This was done because it was not a hybrid. As far as I know they are going to keep the door open to the money but they want the GM stuff worked out first. If they put money into a non hybrid it will nock them out of the money option.

Aclark
I think the E90 law started in 2007. I think this dropped the MPG from 40 to 35 mpg. By this time next year we till be driving E85 so it will drop one more time.

In the next 4 to 5 years I do not see a 4 wheel US car getting a better gas mileage then the Yaris unless it is a 3 cylinder, a hybrid, or high test gas.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:10 PM   #17
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Regardless, I really think the Fiesta is a great looking vehicle that's long overdue in the U.S.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:41 PM   #18
Pitt Yaris

Drives: Flint Mica Sedan
The interior is pretty awesome. That's one of the only thing the yaris lacks.
Pitt Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote