Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-23-2009, 06:32 PM   #19
JBIZZ

Drives: 2007 Liftback white
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaerinRhoe View Post
Hey Dream,

I drive an '09 LB w/ the 5-spd manual and I manage to stall the engine once in a while, probably once every couple of weeks. Most of the time it's in a drive-thru line or when I forget to down-shift far enough for a turn.

My biggest problem so far has been grinding from 1st to 2nd when I try to hotdog.

Just my $ .02,

S.R.
Redline MT-90 cured my shifting into 2nd grind.
JBIZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:32 PM   #20
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

My '85 Harley's clunky shifts improved a lot with Redline transmission oil.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:34 AM   #21
woof

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatch/Black
What is the Big Foot Mod? When I was exchanging hostilities with the service manager I mentioned the floor pan being higher on the left side and he shook his head "yeah". He accidentally acknowledged that like he's heard it before!

NOW, after my two page complaint to the owner of dealership, the owner called and apologized for the way it was handled. He said we are going to get somebody to look at it. The next day the GM of the dealership says: "We are going to have AN ENGINEER FROM HOUSTON COME DRIVE IT AND TAKE A LOOK." WTF is that! An independent mechanic looked at it before I wrote my letter and said it could be an inside CV joint or inside the transaxle.

Is this why the service department dodged the issue for 2.5 years? Is there an unpublished defect, like a bad transmission, that they are trying to defuse?

Think about it....a rep from Houston to Jacksom, Miss, just to look over a possible CV joint...like the dealer can't make that call? Do all '07 5-speeds have this, perhaps?

Enlighten, please.
woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:43 AM   #22
woof

Any more ideas?

Last edited by woof; 11-27-2009 at 08:08 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:51 PM   #23
woof

Bad news. I'm dealing with an experienced lawyer and brought up the subject of my warranty claim. He said the dealers never make as much money on warranty work and usually do whatever possible to avoid it. Even though I have reported the problem and "Toyota has been called" that doesn't mean the car is going to get fixed. He said the "engineer from Houston" may be a guy from across town hired to come over and diagnose the problem. If you happen to get an honest mechanic they still might say there is nothing wrong.

I can complain to our state's AG office but they will send out a complaint and the dealer will respond in kind and they will say there is nothing they can do outside of the courts. In my state lawyers don't fool with this kind of insignificant stuff.

Not a bright picture.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:03 PM   #24
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
You guys stall a lot I have maybe stalled my car 5 times in the year and a half I have owned it.
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:17 AM   #25
woof

Well, the Gulf States rep had me go to a dealer across town who was really nice. Then he turned it over to a tech and I had to wait about 25 minutes or so. He came back with a dour look and a changed tone and said the noise it was making was "acceptable". What a crock of bullshit. Acceptable for who? I've been listening to this getting worse over 2.5 years!

I never expected this kind of shitty service from a Toyota dealer or Toyota itself. I guess I will have to find who is next on the food chain. This whole situation is insulting to anyone with a lick of sense.

Anybody got any suggestions other than yellow lemons on the sides with the dealers name?
Old 12-10-2009, 12:05 PM   #26
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
The only thing you know for sure is that Toyota does NOT WANT bad press. Talk to the Regional rep (not his secretary), and throw in the occasional word like "lawsuit" and "media" if things don't go well. The lemon decals without the dealer name will not go over well with Head Office if they end up on TV.

The second thing you want is those prognoses in writing, that the gearbox is "normal". That gives you a leg to stand on when and if it fails in the future.
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:13 PM   #27
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
I think the issue that people are having with drive by wire. Is that they may change their driving habits often. The car is designed to be adaptive and can increase or decrease the amount of throttle opening based on the signal at the gas pedal. IE if a old lady drives your yaris for a week and you hop in you will think geeze this car is slow dosnt even respond i have the open up the throttle more. Verses a kid just learning to drive and driving the car like they stole it. And the same old lady hops in she will go geeze this throttle is so touchy. I just tap the gas and it just jerks and takes off.

Try disconnecting the battery to reset the memory and fuel trim and see if there are any noticeable changes.

Drive by wire system lag is very minuscule. It is a step over the regular cable throttle system because there is no need to periodically adjust the throttle cable as it stretches. Driving a normal cable system you eventually get used to the throttle cable as it stretches and gets less responsive cause its a very very slow progression. And the reaction time is identical no matter what. Unlike the drive by wire system. So it takes awile to get used to. So people may never get used to it.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:08 PM   #28
woof

Hi, Sedan, this is a combination of the "Big Foot", fly-by-wire, and low idle speed. I think they don't want to address it because it effects the CV joints and drive shaft splines and possibly the transmission.

When the little fellers in Tokyo where bumping fists they forgot about the big American foot. Plus, the Yaris is totally designed for high mpg. Tall gearing, low idle speeds.

If you look around on this forum you will see this addressed from time to time.