Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-10-2017, 01:44 AM   #1
tamrat

Drives: 2009 Yaris, 1994 HiLux Surf
Using turn indicators as DRLs on 2009 HB

Hello all, I have searched the forum for a similar post but couldn't find one. I want to use my front turn indicators as DRLs just as in some models of the US Tacoma (seen below).

What I want to achieve is a similar look. The turn indicators bulbs will be on when the car is running. If I try to use the indicators the respective bulb will blink just like it would normally. So the bulbs will act as both indicators and also DRLs.

I have read a bit on the internet and its not "that" hard. What I understood it this. I need to find a signal that's only active when the car is running (not sure what to use here). Then hook that to a relay and the relay will turn on the bulbs. If I try to use the indicators, a pulsing signal will come to the bulbs. I need to branch this and change the pulsing signal to a continuous signal and use a relay to turn off the bulbs (DRL mode), and the other branch to blink the indicators.

Finding parts (like harnesses and stuff) might be hard since I live in Ethiopia, but I'm gonna give it a go. I'll need a hep from an experienced person in here. My first questions are gonna be:
1. Is this even achievable on the Yaris?
2. If so, what signal can I use to turn them on when the car is running?

I know, I know my bulbs will wear out much quicker but I really like the look.

Thanks,

P.S: Dear Mary, mother of Jesus! Why is the photo so big? Any way to make it smaller?