Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-10-2017, 01:44 AM   #1
tamrat

Drives: 2009 Yaris, 1994 HiLux Surf
Using turn indicators as DRLs on 2009 HB

Hello all, I have searched the forum for a similar post but couldn't find one. I want to use my front turn indicators as DRLs just as in some models of the US Tacoma (seen below).

What I want to achieve is a similar look. The turn indicators bulbs will be on when the car is running. If I try to use the indicators the respective bulb will blink just like it would normally. So the bulbs will act as both indicators and also DRLs.

I have read a bit on the internet and its not "that" hard. What I understood it this. I need to find a signal that's only active when the car is running (not sure what to use here). Then hook that to a relay and the relay will turn on the bulbs. If I try to use the indicators, a pulsing signal will come to the bulbs. I need to branch this and change the pulsing signal to a continuous signal and use a relay to turn off the bulbs (DRL mode), and the other branch to blink the indicators.

Finding parts (like harnesses and stuff) might be hard since I live in Ethiopia, but I'm gonna give it a go. I'll need a hep from an experienced person in here. My first questions are gonna be:
1. Is this even achievable on the Yaris?
2. If so, what signal can I use to turn them on when the car is running?

I know, I know my bulbs will wear out much quicker but I really like the look.

Thanks,

P.S: Dear Mary, mother of Jesus! Why is the photo so big? Any way to make it smaller?
Old 12-10-2017, 01:45 PM   #2
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
I can tell you where to get the signal for DRL. This also disabled the stock DRL. After that, you'd have to figure it out how to use the signal to turn on any lights.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2017, 11:38 AM   #3
tamrat

Thanks for the reply. Are you telling me there is a DRL signal I could get from the car itself? Keep in mind that my car never had DRLs.

I'm not that good with electrics (just high school physics) but I fired up MultiSim and tried to simulate what I wanted. Apparently, I can use the pulsing signal to turn off the DRLs when I turn on the indicators, which will mimick the blinking. But some issues with that:
1. Front blinkers won't be in sync with the other two (side and rear). When the other two light up, the front will turn off and vice versa.
2. When the car is off, front blinkers/turn indicators will not work (while key is at ON position) or front blinkers/turn indicators will not light up if I try to use hazard lights. This is because the signal coming is telling the bulbs to turn off (because they are supposed to be on, but car isn't running), and the effect will just be the front bulbs on OFF at all times.

This is the not so elegant solution I came up with (which probably the wrong way to do it )
Old 12-11-2017, 06:33 PM   #4
IllusionX

If you don't have DRL, then you can just create your own.

I would just unplug the parkings from the harness and wire it with a relay so it turns on when ignition is on.

Old 12-12-2017, 03:20 AM   #5
tamrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
If you don't have DRL, then you can just create your own.

I would just unplug the parkings from the harness and wire it with a relay so it turns on when ignition is on.

I thought about that as well. But the parking lights are very dim. Plus I love the amber color glow of the turn indicators. I'm digging around for wiring diagrams.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:26 AM   #6
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Another issue I think you might run into with this is that powering the front turn signals will also light up the rear ones because I'm pretty sure they're in parallel. You'd have to isolate them further complicating things.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:46 AM   #7
tamrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
Another issue I think you might run into with this is that powering the front turn signals will also light up the rear ones because I'm pretty sure they're in parallel. You'd have to isolate them further complicating things.
More and more obstacles by the day
Old 12-12-2017, 11:30 AM   #8
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Was actually thinking about it. It's actually simpler than what have diagramed. You just need to add a diode just behind the power wire on the front turn signal. Then power it through a NC relay. Then power the relay using the turn signal stock. When you turn on the turn signal it'll power the relay disconnecting that light and blink like normal.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:39 PM   #9
IllusionX

Isn't the front turn signal a dual filament 7442 bulb? Not sure of the HB, but 100% is for the sedan.

Otherwise, yes it might be more complicated.

Although, the HB have a small bulb inside the headlight assembly that turn on with the parkings. You could isolate that and use as DRL.

Old 12-12-2017, 02:46 PM   #10
tamrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
Was actually thinking about it. It's actually simpler than what have diagramed. You just need to add a diode just behind the power wire on the front turn signal. Then power it through a NC relay. Then power the relay using the turn signal stock. When you turn on the turn signal it'll power the relay disconnecting that light and blink like normal.
That setup will work (I have only tested it in a simulation though). The problem with that is if the engine is off (hence DRLs off) front blinkers will not work when the key is at the ON position or hazards are being used. Because they can't switch off anything. the bulbs are already off.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:53 PM   #11
tamrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
Isn't the front turn signal a dual filament 7442 bulb? Not sure of the HB, but 100% is for the sedan.

Otherwise, yes it might be more complicated.

Although, the HB have a small bulb inside the headlight assembly that turn on with the parkings. You could isolate that and use as DRL.

On my 2009 hatchback, the parking lights are the small 7442 bulbs. But the indicators use the bigger 1156 bulbs.

If I can find a brighter (and preferably amber colored) 7442 I might just use the parking lights are DRLs.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:20 PM   #12
tamrat

After more fiddling with the computer, I have this. Works in the simulation as intended, I think. I'm kinda tired now and will look at again tomorrow. Also time to buy stuff and test it maybe. and I'll have to add a fuse somewhere in there.

SWITCHA (Key D) is like a master switch to turn on/off the DRL at any time.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:09 PM   #13
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
How about using a Halo switchback relay. It would be NC wired to parking light. And receive the turn signal flash and work as normal.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:24 AM   #14
tamrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezhacker1 View Post
How about using a Halo switchback relay. It would be NC wired to parking light. And receive the turn signal flash and work as normal.
I didn't understand what you tried to explain sir. What is NC?

Update on my side:

So the last schematic I sent din't work as intended. I'm gonna go back to my first idea. The flasher relay in the Yaris is a weird one. An 8-pin relay, and not much info on the net about it.

The plan is now to keep the OEM wiring intact more or less. First I'll find a signal that's ON when the engine is running and feed that to a relay that will turn on the bulbs as DRLs. I'll add a diode to the factory line to prevent back feeding. Then I will split the turn indicator signal at the bulb (positive wire) and feed that to an RC circuit I'm gonna build that's gonna convert the pulsing signal into a steady one. So I'll have the factory wires carrying the pulsing signal to the bulbs (as factory) and another steady signal that only comes on when the turn indicator is being used. I can use this signal to control the DRL mode on that specific bulb. Sounds good on paper. To the simulations.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:02 PM   #15
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
NC = normally closed
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:29 PM   #16
ezhacker1

To clarify. What about wiring the Parking lights to come on with igntion. Relay on an ignition wire to feed ground to parking wire on the head light stalk. This is how my parking and fogs light are wired up to come on when car is on. Then use a Parking/turn signal switchback controller, to make the front signals either stay solid (parking light ground) or flashing when it receives the turn signal pulses.

This is exacttly the same as wiring up projector halos, or shrouds. or those switchback LEDs that have both white and amber.

Heck even easier just get a switchback bulb (example):https://www.amazon.com/iJDMTOY-Filam.../dp/B01JSWEX9O

Old 12-17-2017, 12:30 PM   #17
tamrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezhacker1 View Post
To clarify. What about wiring the Parking lights to come on with igntion. Relay on an ignition wire to feed ground to parking wire on the head light stalk. This is how my parking and fogs light are wired up to come on when car is on. Then use a Parking/turn signal switchback controller, to make the front signals either stay solid (parking light ground) or flashing when it receives the turn signal pulses.

This is exacttly the same as wiring up projector halos, or shrouds. or those switchback LEDs that have both white and amber.

Heck even easier just get a switchback bulb (example):https://www.amazon.com/iJDMTOY-Filam.../dp/B01JSWEX9O
The thing is I wanted the turn indicators to come on rather than the parking lights. The switchback LED you linked to looks very interesting. I have to find a way to import here though. Is there a version where both lights are amber?
Old 12-17-2017, 06:07 PM   #18
ezhacker1

So you only want the front turn signals to be on. You don't want parking lights (front or back).

Same thing still Switchback relay. Has 3 wires. 1 is Ground / 12v for (parking light, DRL call it what you want) / turn signal.

Then just wire a ignition wire that supplies 12v with key in on position. Or find a fuse location that is 12v with key in ACC / On. That will be your constant amber light. Then also wire the turn signal and it will act as usual.

I'll slap something together on the car to show ya.