Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-09-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
New Fender: Now Washers Dont Work

I had a new right fender installed and now the windshield washers dont work. The washer tank is on that side. Is it possible they pinched a hose or something?
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:23 PM   #2
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
probably...... does the whole arm not work or just the liquid sprayers?

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:36 PM   #3
bronsin

The wipers wipe but the washers just dribble. I found where the hose plugs into the washers from the tank. Think I'll disconnect the hose tomorrow and see if fluid pumps out...
Old 12-09-2009, 05:40 PM   #4
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
I know its a stupid question, but, is your washer tank full? or barely full
Old 12-09-2009, 06:34 PM   #5
bronsin

Yes I think it is because both front and rear washers draw from the same tank. And the rear one works. I can hear the pump motor going too. But it IS probably low on fluid.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:37 PM   #6
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
my rear sprayer ALWAYS works for a good 7 seconds (5 sprays or so) after the front ones stop spraying, probably because of all the fluid in the longer line, Id fill the reservoir and then hold the washer lever for several seconds.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:32 PM   #7
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
may have had to remove the resivoire and it was not refilled when they were done.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:04 PM   #8
bronsin

Hmmm added fluid and still the washers dribble. Next: remove the line where they enter the washer nest and see if I get a good stream from the tank...
Old 12-11-2009, 08:14 AM   #9
bronsin

Looks like Camelll wins the prize. I removed the hose from the washer tank where it goes into the cowl. Theres a nice stream of water out the end of the hose when you actuate the washers. So the problem is somewhere under the trim around the wiper arms. I probed the washer jets with a pin and they dont seem to be blocked. Looks like the arms and trim has to come off. Interesting side note: the washers are not adjustable for spray pattern. If the jets dont hit the window where you want them to you have to unsnap the plastic jets and replace them from a table of fixed jets with differing nozzle angles. Crazy.
There are two plastic screws on either side of the washer arm trim and it looks like they have been removed. Maybe the body shop did that but why? Its not necessary to get into that to change the right fender. Im thinking maybe they got some donor parts out of my car or something? Rest assured I intend to get to the bottom of this!
Old 12-11-2009, 12:36 PM   #10
bronsin

I'll try myself first. Its terrribly cold here now so it will be a long process. Dont worry I wont go postal on the body shop! Really Idont see how the shop had anything to do with it. Heck I could also take it to Toyota and fix it under warranty.
Do you have a sedan or a hatch? I see the parts differ from one to the other...

Last edited by bronsin; 12-11-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:18 AM   #11
bronsin

Well the washers are working. FYI under the plastic trim below the windshield are several lenths of tubing for the washers. There are hooks that hold the tubing to the trim. On the tubing there are yellow plastic reinforcing sleeves designed to keep the tubing from being pinched where they are held by the hooks. Some of these sleeves were out of positiion. Maybe 2 or 3. Also there were some sharp bends under there I took care of. So the washers work. Im still deeply suspicious SOMEBODY took this apart! Why would Japanese workers trained to prefer death over dishonor fail to properly position the yellow sleeves under the hooks? Why did the nuts holding the wiper arms unscrew so easily (these things are IME cranked down pretty tight) Why were the trim screws half loose? Its not necessary to mess with this trim to replace the RF fender. I suspect a vile conspiracy but lack evidence!

Old 12-14-2009, 11:52 AM   #12
bronsin

Im thinking it DID work the week before I had the fender replaced. I dont use the washer much at all. I had the fender replaced because I parked near a short pole at work during the afternoon. When I left at midnite I forgot about the pole, didnt see it, and turned right into it slightly smunching the fender. I build prototype things that other people design (NASA and military flight and com gear) So Im used to seeing others troubleshoot things. One of the things you ask when theres a problem is "What was done to the item recently?" You can imagine how my suspictions were aroused when I saw the washer tank is behind the right fender! But it looks like it was just a coincidence!