Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-31-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
rut_bwoy

Drives: 53 Plate Yaris
Help with 2003 Yaris Steering Wheel control adaptor / stalk

Hello experts,

When i had my Pioneer head unit fitted, the guy said it isnt possible to get a steering wheel adaptor for my car.

Only recently i seen many on eBay. But i don't know if it will fit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-Cor...item3a712ec90e

The item is above or something similar.

Could someone please help.

Thanks in advance,

Sam
rut_bwoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The Toyota steering wheel controls are very simple, so you should definitely be able to find an adapter. With one like the one in your ebay link, verify with the vendor that it is compatible with your particular Pioneer head unit.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
rut_bwoy

The guy seems to think that the adaptor does not normally fit without modifications ... he said he will need to see the original car connectors at the top of the display part not the underneath where the radio is.

Confused lol.

I mean i thought it's as simple as connect the adaptor to the head unit and then the other side and it's working.

Model No of my head unit is: Pioneer DEH-2300UB

Thanks.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rut_bwoy View Post
The guy seems to think that the adaptor does not normally fit without modifications ... he said he will need to see the original car connectors at the top of the display part not the underneath where the radio is.

Confused lol.

I mean i thought it's as simple as connect the adaptor to the head unit and then the other side and it's working.

Model No of my head unit is: Pioneer DEH-2300UB

Thanks.

I think that the only modification that would be necessary would be to splice the two wires for the steering wheel controls to the blue and black wires on the 2 pin connector.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:37 PM   #5
rut_bwoy

Ooh okay i see.

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:11 AM   #6
marcomk
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris 2003 facelift
I know the thread is very old, but for anyone facing the same problem, which is adapting a Connect2 steering wheel controls interface on a Yaris 2003>2006 (facelift), here is the solution:

The Connect 2 interface has a 20 pin connector with three wires for the steering wheel controls: pink (sw1), blu (sw2), black (swg). The car connector on the original cd player has a different connector with only two wires: yellow and green/yellow. Disregard this connector.

Open the dash just above the cd player, behind the display there is a 8 pin connector with three wires attached: black, red, green. Black here is not ground as you may think! These are the correct connections to the interface: black > pink, red > blu, green > black.
Of course you have to cut the connectors and make the connections yourself. I used some faston connectors.

It took me some time to figure out this, so I thought it would be nice to share it (maybe there is stil anyone in the world with an old Yaris trying to replace the original stereo)
marcomk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stalk, steering wheel adaptor