Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-28-2018, 06:04 AM   #1
miiser

Drives: yaris 2009
ASAP information+opinions for Android Headunit.

Hi everyone.

I am looking for the best alternative headunit for quite sometime, to replace the factory one, because I find it bad in every way possible (no clarity, not enough power for the bass etc)

I have many times found nice deals to replace it, with universal 2 din radios such as pioneer kenwood etc with or without touchscreen, but in the end I didn’t pull the trigger cause I didn’t like the way it looked in my dash. It didn’t match the theme of the car at all.

This time thought, I found a great deal on an OEM look like Android headunit (pictures bellow), with very impressive specs for its price (250€ =~290$). Here are the most important of them:
•Quad core A9 chip
•2GB DDR3 ram
•7.1.2 Android
•Captivate screen (which is a big deal for me compared to resistive touch headunit)
•2 years warranty.

I think that’s the one I wanna have in my car and I am ready to purchase it next week before I loose the deal.

But now I need your opinions about this.
I am not a music freak. But I want to have a descent sound in my car. Right now I can understand the poor quality of the sound with my factory stereo. I don’t want to waste money on another headunit and have the same poor sound quality.
With this amount of money I can go to brand name way like pioneer. I will need new plastic bessels + steering wheel control adapter with the universal HU because my car is from Europe and the factory stereo is one piece with the center console. I can’t just remove it and place another one.

So to sum up, is it worth to buy a Chinese Android HU over a brandname HU ?
I know that Android headunits have so much to offer because there are ton of apps in play store, but I am not concerned about the apps as I am with the sound quality.

What’s your experience with Android Chinese HU guys ? What should I do ?
Both will cost the same, if I go for the Android one or a pioneer with buttons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
miiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:40 AM   #2
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Wish I could offer more help but I don't have any experience with Chinese Android head units. I've seen a few people complain about them here on the forum. One member punched one to death when it arrived with a bad screen and he didn't realize it until it was installed lol. On the flip side, my bro-in-law installed an eBay Android head unit in his BMW and was happy with it. He didn't have a good sound system in the car, though, just stock speakers.

What I do know is that the head unit is the main point of sound processing so if you're looking to build a system with sound quality as a primary need, I'd make sure to do as much research on the unit as possible. See if you can find reviews on it from other online sources. There can be a difference in sound quality from a lower level Pioneer unit to a higher level Kenwood unit, so it's hard for me to trust the no-name brands. Again, I have no personal experience with any of them, so take it for what it's worth.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 05:05 PM   #3
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
I've put these Chinese android units in my last 4 vehicles - ranging from Android 4.41 - Android 6.xx. I put a Chinese WinCE factory fit in my 4th gen. Dodge Grand Caravan. I have had only 1 failure and it was a touchscreen. The replacement screen is around $40.00. All of these units have exceeded my expectations. Western offerings are more expensive and are not factory fit - important to me.

Are the quality of the electronics up to par with a high end Kenwood? Likely not, but uness you're an audiophile, I bet it would be hard to tell the difference. As far as long-term relaibility, I sold my Kia Rondo locally and the head unit is still fully functional. It is at least 3 years old and has survived extremes of temperature.

Something else I've found is that these units do work significantly better with a dedicated amp using the low level outputs. OEM radios are tuned for a frequency response that works 'well' with the crappy speakers. You may find your sound a little thinner (less bass). But, using the app mentioned below (PowerAmp) you can use the EQ to tailor your sound. Minimally, I'd replace the door speakers and anything but the cheapest junk will be a significant improvement. Keep in mind that the usually stated 45w x 4 peak power of these headunits is overblown and is probably similar output to your stock radio - maybe 14 - 17 watts RMS/channel.

The good:
Android OS
factory fit
plug and play (unless you're installing other gear - amp, speakers, sub etc)
incredible versatility (endless apps)
Wifi
internet
excellent customizable audio* (with PowerAmp digital processing App - about $6.00) In my experience, this transforms the sound quality.
large external storage (I have around 2000 songs on a 16Gig microSD card - no wires, adapters, plugs to contend with)

The Bad:
If it breaks - throw away, unless it's something like a touchscreen as above.
Slow boot - on the order of 15+ seconds
Generally poor radio reception
no Sat/HD radio
Nothing else comes to mind.

At that price, I'd go for it. I considered a unit like that with the side panels and the price you're mentiong is probably the lowest I've seen - especially with 2G of Ram. But you have to be willing to accept that you're out your money as shipping back for repair is prohibitive. Though, if you know a good electronics repair person, you could likely source the parts from the Chinese.

I bought all my units on aliexpress with free shipping. Shipping is usually really quick and to your door.

Here is a link to my latest install:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59495

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 09-28-2018 at 05:38 PM.
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:33 PM   #4
miiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
I've put these Chinese android units in my last 4 vehicles - ranging from Android 4.41 - Android 6.xx. I put a Chinese WinCE factory fit in my 4th gen. Dodge Grand Caravan. I have had only 1 failure and it was a touchscreen. The replacement screen is around $40.00. All of these units have exceeded my expectations. Western offerings are more expensive and are not factory fit - important to me.

Are the quality of the electronics up to par with a high end Kenwood? Likely not, but uness you're an audiophile, I bet it would be hard to tell the difference. As far as long-term relaibility, I sold my Kia Rondo locally and the head unit is still fully functional. It is at least 3 years old and has survived extremes of temperature.

Something else I've found is that these units do work significantly better with a dedicated amp using the low level outputs. OEM radios are tuned for a frequency response that works 'well' with the crappy speakers. You may find your sound a little thinner (less bass). But, using the app mentioned below (PowerAmp) you can use the EQ to tailor your sound. Minimally, I'd replace the door speakers and anything but the cheapest junk will be a significant improvement. Keep in mind that the usually stated 45w x 4 peak power of these headunits is overblown and is probably similar output to your stock radio - maybe 14 - 17 watts RMS/channel.

The good:
Android OS
factory fit
plug and play (unless you're installing other gear - amp, speakers, sub etc)
incredible versatility (endless apps)
Wifi
internet
excellent customizable audio* (with PowerAmp digital processing App - about $6.00) In my experience, this transforms the sound quality.
large external storage (I have around 2000 songs on a 16Gig microSD card - no wires, adapters, plugs to contend with)

The Bad:
If it breaks - throw away, unless it's something like a touchscreen as above.
Slow boot - on the order of 15+ seconds
Generally poor radio reception
no Sat/HD radio
Nothing else comes to mind.

At that price, I'd go for it. I considered a unit like that with the side panels and the price you're mentiong is probably the lowest I've seen - especially with 2G of Ram. But you have to be willing to accept that you're out your money as shipping back for repair is prohibitive. Though, if you know a good electronics repair person, you could likely source the parts from the Chinese.

I bought all my units on aliexpress with free shipping. Shipping is usually really quick and to your door.

Here is a link to my latest install:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59495

Can you tell me more about the poor radio reception? Cause this is important to me. Is it really bad?

Also, I will buy this locally, not from eBay so I can trust more the local seller than sources like eBay or aliexpress etc. plus I will get 2 years warranty

Ps: I have already swapped my speakers

Old 09-28-2018, 06:39 PM   #5
miiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Wish I could offer more help but I don't have any experience with Chinese Android head units. I've seen a few people complain about them here on the forum. One member punched one to death when it arrived with a bad screen and he didn't realize it until it was installed lol. On the flip side, my bro-in-law installed an eBay Android head unit in his BMW and was happy with it. He didn't have a good sound system in the car, though, just stock speakers.

What I do know is that the head unit is the main point of sound processing so if you're looking to build a system with sound quality as a primary need, I'd make sure to do as much research on the unit as possible. See if you can find reviews on it from other online sources. There can be a difference in sound quality from a lower level Pioneer unit to a higher level Kenwood unit, so it's hard for me to trust the no-name brands. Again, I have no personal experience with any of them, so take it for what it's worth.

Yea I have seen this post you mention. But I do understand that there are many differences between all these HUs.
And the other member had an older version. I think that Chinese makers have come a long way since then. But again, like you, I have zero experience on this. That’s why I am so skeptical

The price is amazing bargain thought.
And it’s from a local seller. Not from amazon or eBay etc...

Old 09-28-2018, 06:55 PM   #6
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by miiser View Post
I am not a music freak. But I want to have a descent sound in my car.
Quote:
...Keep in mind that the usually stated 45w x 4 peak power of these headunits is overblown and is probably similar output to your stock radio - maybe 14 - 17 watts RMS/channel.
And ^that^ is the problem I would assume with these units.

Some stock radios are closer to 5 watts RMS so if the Chinese units get 14-17, it's an improvement, but marginally.

For my money, if I'm going for sound quality, I'm spending a bit more and going with something that pushes more RMS power per channel to get the most out of my speakers.

I went with a Pioneer and sometimes I think I should switch it out for a higher level Kenwood model.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 07:25 PM   #7
06YarisRS

Quote:
Can you tell me more about the poor radio reception? Cause this is important to me. Is it really bad?

Also, I will buy this locally, not from eBay so I can trust more the local seller than sources like eBay or aliexpress etc. plus I will get 2 years warranty

Ps: I have already swapped my speakers

In my experience, the reception is not as strong, drops off more and can be 'staticy'. The radio also doesn't catch as many stations as it scans. Maybe yours will be different, but all mine did not have as good/strong reception as the stock radio. This was something I could overlook as I listen to music more. My wife found it bothersome at times. It's not horrible, just not as good as stock. Maybe a qualified auto sound tech could do something to improve it.

I guess you have a local importer of these radios. I'd love a link if you have one. A two year warranty is bonus. Mine are all one year, and really moot because I'd never pay the high shipping rates to return it.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 09-28-2018, 07:32 PM   #8
06YarisRS

Quote:

Some stock radios are closer to 5 watts RMS so if the Chinese units get 14-17, it's an improvement, but marginally.

For my money, if I'm going for sound quality, I'm spending a bit more and going with something that pushes more RMS power per channel to get the most out of my speakers.

I went with a Pioneer and sometimes I think I should switch it out for a higher level Kenwood model.
I think you are right. I meant to say that the stock would have 14 - 17ish watts peak.

Although these units sound 'acceptable' (subjective, I know) out of the box, it really is amazing what a digital processing app such as PowerAmp can do. My systems are exceptionally clear, balanced but I do quite a bit of tweaking and I have a 4-channel amp, sub and extra tweeters. Neither a stock unit or one of these head units is going to have enough juice, as you say, to power an aftermarket speaker to the point that it produces a well-rounded, clean sound.

Old 09-28-2018, 07:34 PM   #9
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:

If I recall correctly, the stock fujitsuten HU is something like 13wRMS. I could dig up the manual someday to look that up again.
Sound quality is great on it paired with the right pair of speakers, but it does filter out bass once you crank up the volume.

I've ran an Alpine CDA9855 with the stock speakers and that didn't help much.

I'm not sure how much the Android HU has improved since I last bought a non-android touch screen Chinese HU. But something with the DAC that makes the sound horrible compared to a cheap Sony or Pioneer HU.

I would love, someday, try one of the Joying Android HU available on AliExpress.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 09-28-2018, 07:38 PM   #10
06YarisRS

In case anyone is interested...PowerAmp app and available on Google Play Store:

http://powerampapp.com/

Old 09-28-2018, 07:48 PM   #11
miiser

Quote:
In my experience, the reception is not as strong, drops off more and can be 'staticy'. The radio also doesn't catch as many stations as it scans. Maybe yours will be different, but all mine did not have as good/strong reception as the stock radio. This was something I could overlook as I listen to music more. My wife found it bothersome at times. It's not horrible, just not as good as stock. Maybe a qualified auto sound tech could do something to improve it.

I guess you have a local importer of these radios. I'd love a link if you have one. A two year warranty is bonus. Mine are all one year, and really moot because I'd never pay the high shipping rates to return it.

This signal reception problem occurs on AM? Of FM too? Cause here we use only FM and as I understand, there in states you use both of them.

Old 09-28-2018, 07:49 PM   #12
miiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
If I recall correctly, the stock fujitsuten HU is something like 13wRMS. I could dig up the manual someday to look that up again.
Sound quality is great on it paired with the right pair of speakers, but it does filter out bass once you crank up the volume.

I've ran an Alpine CDA9855 with the stock speakers and that didn't help much.

I'm not sure how much the Android HU has improved since I last bought a non-android touch screen Chinese HU. But something with the DAC that makes the sound horrible compared to a cheap Sony or Pioneer HU.

I would love, someday, try one of the Joying Android HU available on AliExpress.

I bet there must be a huge difference between Android and nonandroid Chinese HUs.

Old 09-28-2018, 07:51 PM   #13
miiser

Quote:
I think you are right. I meant to say that the stock would have 14 - 17ish watts peak.

Although these units sound 'acceptable' (subjective, I know) out of the box, it really is amazing what a digital processing app such as PowerAmp can do. My systems are exceptionally clear, balanced but I do quite a bit of tweaking and I have a 4-channel amp, sub and extra tweeters. Neither a stock unit or one of these head units is going to have enough juice, as you say, to power an aftermarket speaker to the point that it produces a well-rounded, clean sound.

Well sure, for an all around clear sound you need more things than just a HU. But is it the difference between the Chinese and brands, big? Or just marginal?

Ps: I will try the poweramp app you mentioned for sure, if I end up buying it

Last edited by miiser; 09-28-2018 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:54 PM   #14
06YarisRS

Quote:
I But something with the DAC that makes the sound horrible compared to a cheap Sony or Pioneer HU.
If I can dig up the manual on my latest headunit, I'll see what audio chipset is in it. I seem to recall that it was a Philips TDA something or other. At the time I looked it up online and recall it was regarded as a respectable audio chip.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 09-28-2018 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:17 PM   #15
IllusionX

Quote:
I bet there must be a huge difference between Android and nonandroid Chinese HUs.

It all comes down to the DAC and amp they are using. Android has nothing to do in the equation

Old 09-28-2018, 08:21 PM   #16
06YarisRS

Quote:

I think there is probably a bit of variation just within the android units themselves. IllusionX mentions the Joying brand. I also read online that that company was aiming to improve the sound quality in their units.

Here is a link that makes reference to Joying's move to improve sound quality. There is also reference to Intel-based units.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...fixed-t3647498

I'm not an audiophile, but I know what sounds good to me (again obviously subjective). The acoustical enviroment in my vehicles is far from perfect, so I don't know that cost of high end gear would be justified. Once in a while I will play the song "Long After You're Gone" by Chris Jones in the car to get a nice 'audio' experience. The depth and clarity of the instrumentation is very pleasing, despite a slight bit of age-related hearing loss.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 09-28-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:23 PM   #17
miiser

Quote:
It all comes down to the DAC and amp they are using. Android has nothing to do in the equation

I mean that, generally in Android headunits, Chinese manufactures tent to use better parts to build them. Just like they do with their smartphones.
Comparing an android smartphone from China, and a non one, the difference is day-night. I think that’s the case with the HU too.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:33 PM   #18
IllusionX

Quote:
I mean that, generally in Android headunits, Chinese manufactures tent to use better parts to build them. Just like they do with their smartphones.
Comparing an android smartphone from China, and a non one, the difference is day-night. I think that’s the case with the HU too.

I don't think your point is valid. Chinese brand Android phones also has its quirks compared to US brands.