Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-18-2009, 04:30 AM   #1
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
DIY : Spring install

This is to help those that would like to try it themselves
enjoy and be careful.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Yaris spring install.pdf (2.19 MB, 2820 views)
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:35 PM   #2
Yawesh

Drives: 08 sedan at
they make it look so simple!
Yawesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:40 AM   #3
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
Good link, but removing wipers and associated cowl covers is not necessary.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:47 AM   #4
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
I did mine without removing the cowl or wiper blades
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:34 AM   #5
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Is it possible to do this without the spring compressor? and i'm curious as well, any negative effects to going with the lowering springs? Also, why would lowering springs cause you to need an alignment done since when the car comes stock from the factory without being driven much it doesn't need one?
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:50 AM   #6
TOUGEghost
Mr. Clean

Drives: 2009 Yaris S 3-Door
You need the spring compressor to remove the stock front springs safely. If you are installing shorter aftermarket springs you should be able to install the new springs without using the compressor. No compressor is needed for the rear springs.
TOUGEghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:15 AM   #7
REM

Drives: 2012 Nissan Leaf SL
Does anyone know how much I could expect to pay to rent a spring compressor?

I have been toying with the idea of lowering my Yaris, but the cost of install that I was quoted is more than I would want to spend. If I could do it myself lowering will be a much more feasible option, even if it took me all day to complete the job.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:53 AM   #8
detroiter

I'd still like to know what the cons of using lowering springs are and also the reason for why one would need an alignment after installing them?
Old 03-20-2009, 12:52 PM   #9
soloecho2

Drives: 2004 Echo HB
Your car could bottom out over speed bumps that you could clear before. Stiffer ride the BOSS may not like. Front lip may become intimate with the odd parking curb. Toe in will be effected by the lower ride height.
soloecho2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:23 PM   #10
detroiter

The toe will be affected by the lower ride height which is the reason for the alignment or it will always affect it?
Old 03-20-2009, 02:35 PM   #11
texkid
The one with cheese on it

Drives: '10 Corolla S
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
The toe will be affected by the lower ride height which is the reason for the alignment or it will always affect it?
Look at it this way, as you stand your feet are closer together. Now as you crotch down, you spread your legs apart (changing the position of feet) to accommodate the change in stance. Well, when you lower/raise your car, the "stance" is different. Now the tires are sitting at a different angle to accommodate the new position. So you will need an alignment so that the tires will not wear out prematurely. It is only done at the time you change the springs.
texkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:50 PM   #12
detroiter

ahhh thank you for the insight. how does the tire place know what alignment to give it to make it right? I really don't know so i'm trying to learn
Old 03-20-2009, 03:01 PM   #13
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
ahhh thank you for the insight. how does the tire place know what alignment to give it to make it right? I really don't know so i'm trying to learn
they hang reflectors on your tires and shoot lasers at them. then a computer tells them which bolt to tighten and how much.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:33 PM   #14
gwasabi

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by REM View Post

I have been toying with the idea of lowering my Yaris, but the cost of install that I was quoted is more than I would want to spend. If I could do it myself lowering will be a much more feasible option, even if it took me all day to complete the job.
You can do it 808 Brokanic style. Use a C-clamp and Be REALLY REALLY CAREFUL with it. I mean REALLY REALLY careful. You get hit by one of those springs....man it'll leave a HUGE HUGE bruise. but yea......brokanic style use c clamps lol

and I think stock alignment on our car is 0 toe and 0 camber but don't quote me on that...
gwasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:57 PM   #15
firebob

Drives: 09 yaris
I have not done this on a newer car but…

I have used a ratchet strap to hold the coils of the spring where they were at. This will let you get them out since there compressed. Once out stick them under a different car and use it’s weight to let them back out.
If you try this use your brain. Use a few wraps on the springs. You just need the flat rope (webbing) not any of the metal stuff of the straps; to get the needed friction a clove hitch or two will hold it.

I did this with the springs off a 1 ton truck a few times.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:12 AM   #16
detroiter

Does installing the springs void the 60k factory warranty?

And one last question is can you take the TRD lowering springs, install them then get an alignment and your done? Or do you need one of the lowering camber kits or something like that.

I was reading a story about someone who installed some eibachs I think it was and they had to order a specific camber kit or something so the shop could do a proper alignment because they could not do it without it. I'm kind of confused by that story of the person and then about how it says the TRD lowering springs does not change the vehicles suspension and handling geometry.

Last edited by detroiter; 03-21-2009 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:42 PM   #17
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Does installing the springs void the 60k factory warranty?

And one last question is can you take the TRD lowering springs, install them then get an alignment and your done? Or do you need one of the lowering camber kits or something like that.

I was reading a story about someone who installed some eibachs I think it was and they had to order a specific camber kit or something so the shop could do a proper alignment because they could not do it without it. I'm kind of confused by that story of the person and then about how it says the TRD lowering springs does not change the vehicles suspension and handling geometry.
You only need camber bolts if you want to change the camber. You don't need to change the camber. It is optional, and mostly used for the track.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:58 PM   #18
yarstar

Drives: 2008 Absolute Red HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by REM View Post
Autozone will lend you the tool for NOTHING. All you have to do is leave a deposit for them.