Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-15-2014, 10:04 AM   #1
vidfan

Drives: 08 yaris
Squeal from Engine after replacing Water Pump and Serpentine Belt

Hi, I have an 08 Yaris with 43,000 Miles.
A few weeks ago I had to replace the Water Pump and Serpentine Belt. I had noticed after being installed, I had a constant squealing noise. My father-in-law, who helped me with the install, said it was a bad pump. I drove the car home with on/off squealing and was about to get a new pump when I decided to try tightening the belt. I loosened the bolt on the tension arm, used a crowbar to pull the alternator out as far as possible, then tightened the bolt. The squealing had stopped!

A few days later it slowly started back up again. I thought maybe the belt had to be retightened due to being stretched on first used. But now it's slowly starting again.

Is there anything else I need to do? I bought the belt from Rock Auto, DAYCO Part # 465K4.
vidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:52 AM   #2
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
if u have ur old belt switch it over if noise gone u know its the belt...just sounds like a cheap belt also did u clean off any coolant that may have got on pullies .
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:28 AM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Typically squealing means not tight enough. If you run one with it squealing you glaze the contact surface and it at that point it is almost impossible to make it stop squealing.

My experience with Dayco belts has not been good. I find them too hard of a composition, so they seem to glaze, rather than gripping. I personally find Gates belts to be the best.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:25 PM   #4
vidfan

Drives: 08 yaris
I had switched to the old belt when when it first started to squeal, and it did stop the squealing for the most part (still had a brief sound on the few times I started the engine with it attached).

From what you said, CTScott, I find the dayco belt could quiet possibly be glazed because I did have about 25 minutes of solid driving with it squealing on and off. I'll look into the Gates belt. Now I've also read on different boards of Gatorbacks being highly recommended. Any pro/cons on the two brands?
vidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 02:31 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidfan View Post
I had switched to the old belt when when it first started to squeal, and it did stop the squealing for the most part (still had a brief sound on the few times I started the engine with it attached).

From what you said, CTScott, I find the dayco belt could quiet possibly be glazed because I did have about 25 minutes of solid driving with it squealing on and off. I'll look into the Gates belt. Now I've also read on different boards of Gatorbacks being highly recommended. Any pro/cons on the two brands?
I tried the gatorback once on my supercharged Yaris and found that it was more prone to stretching then the gates or bando belts. Gates makes NAPA's branded belts, so that is often an easy place to track down a gates.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:17 PM   #6
alanwagen

Drives: 2015Yaris, Son's car, 10 Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I tried the gatorback once on my supercharged Yaris and found that it was more prone to stretching then the gates or bando belts. Gates makes NAPA's branded belts, so that is often an easy place to track down a gates.
I agree, I have had good experience with Gates. I think O'Reilly's has them also.
alanwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:19 PM   #7
othater

Drives: 07SedanS06Taco
I went with a Dayco and it squealed and stretch multiple times. Took it out a bought an OEM from the dealer which was stamped with Bando
othater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:41 AM   #8
esse10

Drives: 2009 yaris 2 door
not cheap belt

yep, those dayco belts work okay with cars that have the spring loaded Auto tensioners otherwise you have to keep re-tensioning ya-self. Next time get the OEM or gates belts.
esse10 is offline   Reply With Quote