Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-01-2014, 08:40 PM   #1
Alan1962

Drives: 2007 yaris hatch 2 door
Rented a 2011 sedan then bought a 07 Hatch

Some observations , so much is covered here on this site & i apologize ahead if i'm bring up things already mentioned.
The 2011 has better seats, better support although the 07 hatch's seats aren't bad.
There's a pretty major blind spot with these cars a trade off i guess with this design { i wonder if the 2000 Ford Focus started this design off, i think maybe ?.
The signals don't cancel sometimes , people must think i'm either an old fart driver or drunk or something ..
The center pod instrument cluster really grows on you, love it, the extra glove box you get, awesome, also all these the glove boxes are really cool.
Yeah whats with the yellow dipstick, hey it works kinda.
The 2011 sedan i rented for a month I threw it around in the snow & these cars although you will get stuck only for a minute as i always got out of snowy conditions, drove 1000 miles in deep freeze snowy conditions here & she is built tough, the engine revs like a snowmobile that why i bought one before even returning the rental, not a bad idea to rent a car first & see what she's made of ! { also seems these cars are popular rental fleet vehicles }
The hatch grows on you, first I wanted a sedan but the hatch is nicer or just a nice, hatch's big doors can get away from you just have to be careful.
Oh I really like the stereo, i'm 51 years old & not too many years ago { maybe 15 or so } you would have to pay 600 bucks minium for this kind of sound, kicks ass.
After flogging the 2011 rental which had a tach I dont care that the hatch doesnt have one, dont need it because i remember the shifts points & redline sort of, no ABS or Traction who cares, like the 07 better without it.
I was lucky enough to get a girls car, 42k original miles clean car fax, threw in a bottle of Tectron in it & drove it like i stole it blew the carbon out of the poor thing, new front tires,brakes alignment, oil change, new car, fun little sucker..2 compliments already, the ladies love this thing & so do i , engine /tranny are jewels, shifts, handles, fun fun, look foward to driving that's the fun factor , sorry for rambling. Great site, fun car.
Alan
Alan1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:38 PM   #2
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan1962 View Post
Some observations , so much is covered here on this site & i apologize ahead if i'm bring up things already mentioned.
The 2011 has better seats, better support although the 07 hatch's seats aren't bad.
There's a pretty major blind spot with these cars a trade off i guess with this design { i wonder if the 2000 Ford Focus started this design off, i think maybe ?.
The signals don't cancel sometimes , people must think i'm either an old fart driver or drunk or something ..
The center pod instrument cluster really grows on you, love it, the extra glove box you get, awesome, also all these the glove boxes are really cool.
Yeah whats with the yellow dipstick, hey it works kinda.
The 2011 sedan i rented for a month I threw it around in the snow & these cars although you will get stuck only for a minute as i always got out of snowy conditions, drove 1000 miles in deep freeze snowy conditions here & she is built tough, the engine revs like a snowmobile that why i bought one before even returning the rental, not a bad idea to rent a car first & see what she's made of ! { also seems these cars are popular rental fleet vehicles }
The hatch grows on you, first I wanted a sedan but the hatch is nicer or just a nice, hatch's big doors can get away from you just have to be careful.
Oh I really like the stereo, i'm 51 years old & not too many years ago { maybe 15 or so } you would have to pay 600 bucks minium for this kind of sound, kicks ass.
After flogging the 2011 rental which had a tach I dont care that the hatch doesnt have one, dont need it because i remember the shifts points & redline sort of, no ABS or Traction who cares, like the 07 better without it.
I was lucky enough to get a girls car, 42k original miles clean car fax, threw in a bottle of Tectron in it & drove it like i stole it blew the carbon out of the poor thing, new front tires,brakes alignment, oil change, new car, fun little sucker..2 compliments already, the ladies love this thing & so do i , engine /tranny are jewels, shifts, handles, fun fun, look foward to driving that's the fun factor , sorry for rambling. Great site, fun car.
Alan
I agree that a rental helps you get a handle on what you like and don't like. I recently had a 2013 Yaris LE automatic 5-door rental. Fortunately it was free (I got rear ended and the other driver's insurance company paid for the rental while my Yaris was being repaired). I was leaning toward a Prius c (really a Yaris Hybrid) as a next car...but now I realize I don't want to give up having a manual....so I'll likely eventually get a new 3-door Yaris L with a manual transmission.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:17 PM   #3
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
WELCOME !

Isn't this a great little car??
Mine's a 3rd Gen 2013 Auto, but it's just an updated version of the car. Most of the 'bones' are the same.
Really like the looks of the 2nd Gen, wish they had left more of the rounded look...
I am seriously considering trying to find a low mile late model 2nd. gen...here I go again, collecting cars like I did in my 20's!
I have already had compliments on mine, too, maybe it's the cute factor or the fact it's a HOT RED 2 DOOR COUPE!
Stereo jams plenty! I hook up my iPod Nano with all those awesome 80s tunes and it really rocks OUT!
I'll bet a manual would be a blast to drive in this car, just didn't want another manual (well, at this time) A 2nd Yaris w/ a manual might be a cool option. Love the way you sit high up in this car, the seats are VERY comfy to me, although people say it's not that way after a long trip, which I have not yet done. I'm sure they are fine on a long trip, just wiggle your butt now and then.
I will have had mine a year this April 11 - still so lovin' this CAR, it is so MUCH FUN TO DRIVE! (even tho I drive it really mellow, I don't care, I'm takin' care of it, it's my baby...)
READ through all the posts, you'll find a wealth of awesome useful information here. Cheers...!
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:13 PM   #4
Alan1962

Thanks for the replies,
NookandCranny { I love English muffins BTW } Yes the rental thing was a nice cog in my decision making process to buy one of these sweet little runners it was a champ in this harsh snowy winter auto tranny handled my manual shifting & rocking the car out of drifts with ease, a true champ !
Yougojay, there's a lot of info here true, I've been reading up..I used to need to install after market Blaupunkts with expensive amps & speakers to get this sound in the 1990's, love it. The upgrades I'm considering are 15' rims & tires & that roof hatchback spoiler really sets the car off, digging the Auto tranny too { cant believe I just said that LOL} age maybe but I go throu the gears sometimes, even down shift well made unit , love the fluid shifting & shift points, she's a little slow from second to third on cold ass mornings but that's acceptable. No shuch thing as a perfect car but this Toyota is above average in quality, fun factor MPG's & a nice looking ride too boot if you ask me he he
Old 03-03-2014, 08:16 PM   #5
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
woo hoo

NookandCranny is all about the little nooks & cranny's in his 2nd generation Yaris, LOL, not english muffin nooks & crannies (although I'll bet he likes english muffins) yep, the stereo is just fine enough for me now, too. I just have no needs or desire to trick out my Yaris, but it is fun to read about all the mods the people have done here (tooter's manifold adventure comes to mind)
I DO WANT to eventually get a rear sway bar, we'll see. I like my cars stock, always have. A rear sway bar is about the best favorite MOD for the money & what it does (so say the folks here at the Yar Yar Forums)
I did get a full set (2 fronts sold as a pair) & the rear floors (1 piece across the both sides) of WeatherTech floor liners. They are awesome, so custom & perfect. Got a great deal on Amazon for them about 6 months ago, love, love, love, love, love...THEM! They are black, so friggin cool!
I have the original carpet floor mats that came with the car (Toyota OEM's) I need to sell them on eBay maybe.
I have stock 15'' steel wheels on my '13 Yaris L - they have P175 65R15 tires on them w/stock hubcaps - I have taken the hub caps off a few times (easy off & on) and waxed the steelies to keep them from rusting. We have a real mild climate here in NC, so they will stay nice & purdy, ha!
I've only drove about 1,110 miles in it the past 6 months, it's already coming up to it's 2nd freebie oil change this April. I'll change out the oil every 6 months or 5,000 mile (which ever comes 1st) when the freebies end.
I changed out the factory fill oil & filter after 1,500 miles for the heck of it. guess I was antsy to work on the little sucker. It is extremely easy to do an oil change on this car, you don't even have to jack it up. The oil filter is right in front, it couldn't be easier to do.
Auto Trans drain & fill down the line will be a breeze, too.
I have about a 1/4 tank of gas left - OMG, I just checked Fuelly.com. I last filled up on JAN 21, 2014, I can't believe it has been over 5 WEEKS since I put a nozzle in the tank, s**t! Dang, seriously can't believe it has been 5 weeks plus, unreal.
So stoked about this car, yeah, maybe it's my age (been there done that with all sorts of cars) but I just really love this car!
I will have had it 11 months this Tuesday March 11 - knock wood, there has not been one single thing I can complain about (in regards to anything not working correctly, some dummy light coming on, some squeek or rattle, nothing) Wish you many years of trouble-free driving
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:54 PM   #6
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan1962 View Post
Thanks for the replies,
NookandCranny { I love English muffins BTW } Yes the rental thing was a nice cog in my decision making process to buy one of these sweet little runners.
I do love English muffins (IIRC, 'all those nooks and crannies' is from the voiceover on a Thomas' English muffins commercial), but yougojay is correct....the name is related to storage....an ode to my little cousin. My cousin adopted a 1 year old girl from China as a single mom. My Aunt and I went with my cousin to China (from California....I'm the only one now in Texas) to welcome her into the family. I spent an amazing amount of time with her when her activities were still at a moderate level (until she was about 7), and I wouldn't trade that time for ANYTHING (taking her to get her first Brownie Girl Scout uniform, building her first bed, helping her write greeting cards at Starbucks, taking her to the zoo, taking care of her when she was sick, playing with her in the snow at Lake Tahoe, taking her to gymnastics, tennis, ballet, and swimming, and much more). She was 4 when I bought my Yaris. To her it was an exploration pod and jungle gym. She tried to use the interior roof handles like overhead rings on a playground. She loved to open and close all the storage compartments and just crawl around inside (all with a watchful adult eye...either me or her mom). She saved some plastic easter eggs, named them, decorated them, gave them incredibly imaginative biographies, and had me store them in the compartments (nooks and crannys) in my Yaris....and by the time she was 7....sit in the driver seat (in a flat, empty parking lot ...with the key in my hand...I was holding the door and standing next to her) and pretend she was driving. I don't have any kids, but emotionally she's like a daughter to me.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:30 AM   #7
Alan1962

Yougojay, i did read the rear sway bar helps & is worth the investment may just add that in the future as well, wow Weathertech mats great idea as well, I've bought them in the past.. thanks
NookandCranny, that must've been some trip to Asia, a trip of a lifetime, I love Asia's history & ancient cultures, My brother's an Australian citizen who does a lot of business with China, Taiwan as well { a bicycle building mecca} with a reputation for quality in everything they build..Oh well I have to go have an urge for an English muffin {have the honey wheat ones } I think with a little olive oil & a slice of tomato will do the trick..