Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-16-2006, 08:24 PM   #1
YamilR

Drives: Absolutely Red Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to YamilR
Sound System

I bought my Yaris without radio because I wanted to do my 1st. radio install. I bought the JVC KD-HDR1 head unit and Polks db650 all around. Now I want a set of Polk db1000 tweeters to mount them on the door, so my question is, Do I need to intall an AMP to power this equipment? or the power from the head unit's enough? I've been scoping the Kickers ZX400.1 and the ZX300.1, or even a ZX750.1 Amps. Also I will be adding a 10" sub over time, Do I need a separate Amp for that? Let me know your thoughts

Last edited by YamilR; 09-16-2006 at 08:56 PM.
YamilR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 10:56 PM   #2
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
many options you can do, you "can" power the speakers from the headunit, but will sound remakably better from an amp, and the sub should be on a amp, you can get a second amp, or just go with a 5 channel amp (subs,front,front,rear,rear) or there are some 6 channel amps you can bridge 2 channels together to make it a sub channel, or you can get a 4 channel amp, and run the fronts and rears off of 2 of the channels(loosing fade) and then run subs from the other channels.

or you can run a 4 channel, and then just get a second amp for your sub, all depends on budget, space available for install, and just what you prefer :)
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 11:02 PM   #3
Wayside

Drives: 07 yaris 5spd sdn
YamilR, you're all over the place.

The db650's have 3/4" dome tweeters built in so no need for the db1000's.
If you wanted to mount the tweeters on the door perhaps a set of components would have been a more suitable solution?

The KD-HDR1 has a RMS power output of 20 watts per channel and the db650's have a recommended power range of 6-60 watts RMS so they should sound pretty good running off the deck.

As for the sub, you will need a separate amp for that for sure.
Wayside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 12:32 AM   #4
Bones

Drives: 07 Yaris S Type
Maybe this will help, for people that are new to upgrading their stereo. Number one would be the minimum (if I were to change my stereo). From there, would be the progression I would take. Number five beimg the best setup.

Of coarse there are many variable and variation. I tried to make it as basic as possible.
Hope this helps and good luck

1)
Radio: After market radio with built in power
Front Speaker: Coaxial (two way)
Rear Speaker: Coaxial (two way
Amplifier: None
Subwoofer: None

2)
Radio: After market radio with 2 pre-outs (front & rear)
Rear Speaker: Coaxial (two way)
Amplifier: 4 Channel
Subwoofer: None

3)
Radio: After market radio with 3 pre-outs (front, rear, & sub)
Amplifier: 5 Channel
Subwoofer: Yes

4)
Amplifier: 4Chanel (front & rear) & 2channel or mono (sub)

5)
Front Speaker: Separates
Rear Speaker: Separates
Amplifier: 4Chanel (front & rear) & 2channel or mono (sub)

Last edited by Bones; 09-17-2006 at 10:59 AM.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 09:42 PM   #5
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
I'm have that same unit with my MB Quart RCE-216's and 213's (components). It sounds pretty good and I can live with it but I'll probably add a four channel amp at some point because I do get some clipping above 40 (out of 50 on the volume scale) and I would sometimes like to go louder.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote