Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-26-2011, 10:41 PM   #1
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Yet another Blitz Supercharger Install

This weekend I installed a used Blitz Supercharger on my 09. I was amazed as to how easy the installation actually was. I spent about 4 hours on Saturday doing the mechanical portion of the install and about an hour on Sunday morning doing the electrical portion. The person who I bought it from labeled every bolt and spacer, which definitely helped. Though, the spacers required for the replacement alternator bracket were different for my car than for his.

On Saturday, after I completed the mechanical portion, I had my daughter start the car, while I had my head under the hood, verifying that the belt was properly aligned an that there were no leaks from when I removed the fuel rail. That part went perfect, but then we had to go to a dinner party, so I had to wait for Sunday morning to do the electrical part. After scraping knuckles doing the mechanical part, the electrical part was a breeze. After completing the electrical part, I once again had my daughter at the wheel, with my head under the hood. After verifying engagement of the clutch in the three modes of operation, we were ready for a road test.

Pulling out of my driveway, I was immediately impressed with the torque difference. After cruising around our neighborhood and feeling the difference on the hills, my only regret was not having done this sooner.

The finished product:
Blitz Installed.jpg

Pulley alignment:
Pulley Alignment.jpg

Alternator relocation:
Alternator relocation.jpg

Wiring:
Wiring.jpg
Old 06-26-2011, 10:50 PM   #2
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
Sweet!!!!!!!!

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the object. Torque is how far you move that object.."
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:10 PM   #3
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Nice!

I'm a few steps away from my S/C still, the wait(research mainly) is killing me!

What would it take to properly paint the outside of the unit? I'd like to paint mine before the install but I don't want to disassemble the entire thing. Without having held it in my hands it's hard to take a guess... it looks like it would be pretty straight forward.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:23 PM   #4
TEHxFALLEN V1.2
Banned

Drives: '08 Lexus IS-F
Send a message via AIM to TEHxFALLEN V1.2
So this is a no-frills, out of the box, used Blitz kit with nothing else special? Did you swap out the injectors or swap out anything OEM for something different? Nice install, and nice install time!

Sponsored by: Micro Image
http://microimageonline.com
TEHxFALLEN V1.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:30 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazilla View Post
Nice!

I'm a few steps away from my S/C still, the wait(research mainly) is killing me!

What would it take to properly paint the outside of the unit? I'd like to paint mine before the install but I don't want to disassemble the entire thing. Without having held it in my hands it's hard to take a guess... it looks like it would be pretty straight forward.
If you are buying a new one, then it will come in three sections, so you will just need to mask the faces and shoot the pieces. I kind of wish that I had shot mine before installing it.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:33 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEHxFALLEN V1.2 View Post
So this is a no-frills, out of the box, used Blitz kit with nothing else special? Did you swap out the injectors or swap out anything OEM for something different? Nice install, and nice install time!
Correct. I installed it all as-is and kept the stock injectors for now. I am using my YarGauge as my AFR gauge (reading the OEM wideband sensors from the ECM) and thus far am not running lean. If anything I am a bit rich (12.3) when its really under load. The only time I see over 15, is when DFCO kicks in.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:41 PM   #7
TEHxFALLEN V1.2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Correct. I installed it all as-is and kept the stock injectors for now. I am using my YarGauge as my AFR gauge (reading the OEM wideband sensors from the ECM) and thus far am not running lean. If anything I am a bit rich (12.3) when its really under load. The only time I see over 15, is when DFCO kicks in.
Awesome. What else will you be adding in addition to the Blitz kit?

Old 06-26-2011, 11:52 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEHxFALLEN V1.2 View Post
Awesome. What else will you be adding in addition to the Blitz kit?
I have an AFE Intake that will be going on now, and I am planning on doing something with the exhaust as well.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:52 PM   #9
TEHxFALLEN V1.2
Banned

Sweet! I'll be watching this thread!

Old 06-27-2011, 12:02 AM   #10
camelll

Drives: 07 sedan
Awesome! Glad everything went well. I did have to do some adjustments with the spacers to make my pulley align correctly as I shredded a couple of belts when I first installed it, but once I got that corrected I never had any more problem with that. I loved and miss the whine of the compressor!

12.3 is a good spot to be in under full boost, my wideband hovered around 12.0 under full load and sometimes it would run in mid to high 11's. The unit is supposed to be around 7 psi but it was not uncommon to see boost pressures 9-10 on my autometer boost/vacuum gauge. It could have been very possible that my gauge was wrong, I don't think it was, it calibrated itself at every power up and the vacuum was always consistent.

If you have any throttle lag I would suggest you get (or make) a throttle controller. I had a violence throttle controller and it was a great complement to the system, but I had serious throttle lag. That was a "my only regret is I wish I would have done it sooner moment" aside from the compressor but I did that as soon as they were available.

You may also want to put the fuel controller in the cab, I had it in the engine compartment but I wish I would have put it inside to protect it from the elements as it will get dusty and dirty.

One more interesting tidbit is that you and thebarber are the only 2 that have a pink wire on the fuel controller. So if you go to the blitz website and look at there manual and wiring diagram it is different. If you have any questions or ever run into any problems please shoot me a pm and I will try to help you out if you need it, which I doubt you will, considering your already a highly knowledgeable and smart person.

Have fun and enjoy the compressor as much as I did, god knows I am missing it right now but the dealership wanted it off the car to take it for trade when my car comes in.
camelll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:03 AM   #11
camelll

watch out for any intake that has a bypass valve in it, like the TRD as it can get sucked into the compressor. I have no idea if the AFE does or not.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:08 AM   #12
TEHxFALLEN V1.2
Banned

^
The AFE is a SRI and has no bypass valve whatsoever, so he should be okay.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:10 AM   #13
camelll

Awesome, I just wanted to throw that out there.

You may also want to get or make a catch can.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:15 AM   #14
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelll View Post
Awesome! Glad everything went well. I did have to do some adjustments with the spacers to make my pulley align correctly as I shredded a couple of belts when I first installed it, but once I got that corrected I never had any more problem with that. I loved and miss the whine of the compressor!

12.3 is a good spot to be in under full boost, my wideband hovered around 12.0 under full load and sometimes it would run in mid to high 11's. The unit is supposed to be around 7 psi but it was not uncommon to see boost pressures 9-10 on my autometer boost/vacuum gauge. It could have been very possible that my gauge was wrong, I don't think it was, it calibrated itself at every power up and the vacuum was always consistent.

If you have any throttle lag I would suggest you get (or make) a throttle controller. I had a violence throttle controller and it was a great complement to the system, but I had serious throttle lag. That was a "my only regret is I wish I would have done it sooner moment" aside from the compressor but I did that as soon as they were available.

You may also want to put the fuel controller in the cab, I had it in the engine compartment but I wish I would have put it inside to protect it from the elements as it will get dusty and dirty.

One more interesting tidbit is that you and thebarber are the only 2 that have a pink wire on the fuel controller. So if you go to the blitz website and look at there manual and wiring diagram it is different. If you have any questions or ever run into any problems please shoot me a pm and I will try to help you out if you need it, which I doubt you will, considering your already a highly knowledgeable and smart person.

Have fun and enjoy the compressor as much as I did, god knows I am missing it right now but the dealership wanted it off the car to take it for trade when my car comes in.
I was going to lengthen the wires and move the fuel controller internal, but ended up sealing the wire entry point and attaching it to the ECM.

The extra "pink" wire was for RPM. I find it odd that the newer version doesn't use a tach input. Or, perhaps the old one had the input, but didn't actually do anything with it.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:47 AM   #15
ChitownY@Ris

Drives: '07 Yaris Sedan
Sick job, man You guys seem to have mad knowledge on cars to be DIY on this. Unfortunately for me, I can't bring myself to drop 3500 plus 1000 on labor for 30hp. When my Yaris is paid off in 2013, hopefully I can get my hands on a Blitz for under a grand and maybe then I'll be
Old 06-27-2011, 01:02 AM   #16
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Nice! CTScott

keep us posted this is a great mod!

D.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:20 AM   #17
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Haha! This was Camells S/C? That was almost in my car...good times.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:04 AM   #18
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
welcome to the s/c club, scott