Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-13-2014, 10:22 PM   #1
xmotionx

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris LE
2010 Toyota Yaris HB

I'm just about finiziling my purchase for my HB.

Couple questions before I feel ripped off.

Should I take the rust proofing for the vehicle. Its an additional $600. I don't know of these cars come rust proofed already when they are originally sold but with 55km I can't imagine it was driven very much anyway (1 owner)

Extended warranty (from Toyota). 3 year coverage for everything but engine and transmission for $1000. If I want it included its $1600 for the 3 years.

Thank everyone.
xmotionx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:28 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Up there rust proofing may not be a bad idea. I have been rebuilding an 07 that lived in Ohio and am pretty amazed as to how much rust there is on the underside. There was one really bad spot where one of the floor plugs was out of position and it allowed the road salt to soak into the padding under the carpet, rusting the area from above and below.

Extended warranties are always a gamble. Theoretically with such a reliable vehicle you should not need it, but being pre-owned, you never know how the original owner treated it.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:45 PM   #3
JustPassinThru

Drives: No more Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Up there rust proofing may not be a bad idea. I have been rebuilding an 07 that lived in Ohio and am pretty amazed as to how much rust there is on the underside. There was one really bad spot where one of the floor plugs was out of position and it allowed the road salt to soak into the padding under the carpet, rusting the area from above and below.

Extended warranties are always a gamble. Theoretically with such a reliable vehicle you should not need it, but being pre-owned, you never know how the original owner treated it.
Does rustproofing a USED car do any good?

It's been years since I've considered Ziebart or Tuff-Kote - which once were the titans of the biz. Mostly, what they did was cause OTHER kinds of rust - their compounds would prevent open surface rust but cause it in crevasses and seams.

At the time (1970s) they wouldn't warranty a job on a car on the road more than three months (some exceptions made on examination). Round about that time polymer coats and hot-dips started making inroads; and both those companies shriveled to irrelevance.

But the point seemed to be, do it new or not at all.
JustPassinThru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:08 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
Does rustproofing a USED car do any good?

It's been years since I've considered Ziebart or Tuff-Kote - which once were the titans of the biz. Mostly, what they did was cause OTHER kinds of rust - their compounds would prevent open surface rust but cause it in crevasses and seams.

At the time (1970s) they wouldn't warranty a job on a car on the road more than three months (some exceptions made on examination). Round about that time polymer coats and hot-dips started making inroads; and both those companies shriveled to irrelevance.

But the point seemed to be, do it new or not at all.
I believe it does. I coated the bottom of my 09 and my 08 with Rhinoshield truck bed coating (which is a urethane paint). Neither had any evidence of rust when I did it, but I have been under enough Yaris to see that they will rust underneath if not protected. The Yaris is painted on the bottom at the factory and has a couple patches of a coating, which I believe is for sound deadening, but does not have a true rust proofing applied. The dealer offered it (but did not recommend spending the money on it) when I bought my 09 as a new car.

My thought on rustproofing a non new car is to ensure that all existing rust has been treated and then to apply something that will prevent the paint from wearing away while also avoiding plugging any areas intended for drainage.

I agree on the Ziebart and Tuff-Kote issues, having witnessed them first hand back in the day. Cars were also built differently back then, where they had many areas that ended up trapping water. My 72 Plymouth Scamp was a great example of that. Every single Scamp/Duster from that era had the big rot through spot, right behind the rear wheels, due to a seam that would plug up and hold water.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:26 PM   #5
xmotionx

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris LE
Thank you everyone for your input.
xmotionx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:31 PM   #6
specialeducator

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmotionx View Post
I'm just about finiziling my purchase for my HB.

Couple questions before I feel ripped off.

Should I take the rust proofing for the vehicle. Its an additional $600. I don't know of these cars come rust proofed already when they are originally sold but with 55km I can't imagine it was driven very much anyway (1 owner)

Extended warranty (from Toyota). 3 year coverage for everything but engine and transmission for $1000. If I want it included its $1600 for the 3 years.

Thank everyone.
Everything but engine and transmission? That sounds unnecessary.
specialeducator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:13 AM   #7
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
In my experience its leaving the windows down and getting water in the interior thats the REAL problem.

The outside of almost all the cars Ive owned is pretty much impervious to rust. Even a 1974 VW Beetle I owned in upstate NY! Rain in the interior did it in after 250,000 miles...

Then again Ive lived for 30 years in NJ....
Old 04-03-2014, 12:56 AM   #8
MoneyT8

Drives: White Yaris Sedan
How much did you get it for? My 07 Yaris paint has been chipping badly in the front.
MoneyT8 is offline   Reply With Quote