Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-16-2014, 09:27 AM   #1
aspro

Drives: 2011 Yaris RS 5 door 5 spd
CEL??? on and off?

I recently did an aem CAI and DC header. Everything was running beautifully until about a month after the install the car threw a bank 1 sensor 1 o2 sensor low voltage code. The funny thing is it comes on for about 30km of driving distance and then shuts off on its own and I can drive around for another week or two weeks with no CEL and then it pops up again and then goes away again. Also, my car only has 80,000km's on it. A little premature for an OEM o2 sensor, no?

Any thoughts or input would be helpful.

TRD sway bar, h&r coilovers, tanabe strut tower bar, konig feather, bfg sport comp 2, MI intake manifold, aem cai, dc header, trd catback, MI crank pulley, trd short shift kit, phillips hid kit, morimoto led fogs, parrot navi indash, alpine 6.5 speakers, alpine amp, alpine reverse camera, led interior lights, thule roof racks, netz badges...
aspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:07 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The O2 sensor may have gotten damaged while swapping it over to the new header.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:25 AM   #3
aspro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The O2 sensor may have gotten damaged while swapping it over to the new header.
Possibly but a friend and I did the install and we were really careful when reinstalling the o2 sensor. It actually came out and went back in very easily. I guess I'll have to swap it and see if it works. It just sucks because the OEM sensors are bloody expensive and I refuse to use aftermarket sensors.

It can't be the header that is causing this, can it? Anyone with a DC header come across this issue?

TRD sway bar, h&r coilovers, tanabe strut tower bar, konig feather, bfg sport comp 2, MI intake manifold, aem cai, dc header, trd catback, MI crank pulley, trd short shift kit, phillips hid kit, morimoto led fogs, parrot navi indash, alpine 6.5 speakers, alpine amp, alpine reverse camera, led interior lights, thule roof racks, netz badges...
Old 09-16-2014, 11:56 AM   #4
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspro View Post
It just sucks because the OEM sensors are bloody expensive and I refuse to use aftermarket sensors.
When the CEL went on in my sons 2000 ECHO I swapped MAF sensors with my 09 Yaris to troubleshoot. His code went away and my Yaris threw a code that how I knew it was the MAF.

Anyway I bought a rebuilt NAPA MAF for $90 and put it in my Yaris since the Yaris one was in his ECHO and he's hard to get a hold of.

We sold the ECHO and I forgot to swap sensors beforehand!

Its been a few years now and that $90 part still works!
Old 09-16-2014, 04:20 PM   #5
aspro

I'm just confused because with my experience with o2 sensors is that when they go they go. They don't work some days and not on some other days lol. That's really what is puzzling me.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:51 PM   #6
Rakin

Drives: Toyota Premio NZT240
I had a similar issue a few months back. The "O2 heater circuit" code would come up randomly sometimes. Swapped it for another one and the code went away never to be seen again. :P
Rakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:58 PM   #7
beaker

Drives: 07 Yaris 3 door
Check your wiring at and around the O2 sensors where you were working. Make sure you didn't pinch a wire, or scrape some insulation off of a wire that may be intermittently touching bare metal. Shorted wires will cause crazy stuff.

2nd, put a scanner on it to get the code it is throwing. That way you'll at least have a starting point. A lot of today's scanner have troubleshooting info in them that will give you tips as to where to start looking for the problem. If you don't have access to a better scanner with troubleshooter info, go to Autozone, they can at least put a generic OBD2 scanner on it to pull a P code.
beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:26 PM   #8
aspro

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaker View Post
Check your wiring at and around the O2 sensors where you were working. Make sure you didn't pinch a wire, or scrape some insulation off of a wire that may be intermittently touching bare metal. Shorted wires will cause crazy stuff.

2nd, put a scanner on it to get the code it is throwing. That way you'll at least have a starting point. A lot of today's scanner have troubleshooting info in them that will give you tips as to where to start looking for the problem. If you don't have access to a better scanner with troubleshooter info, go to Autozone, they can at least put a generic OBD2 scanner on it to pull a P code.
I already know the code. It`s a bank 1 sensor 1 low voltage code as mentioned above.

I`m probably just going to swap it out and hopefully that will be the end of it. I`ll update you guys when I have done so.

Thanks for all the input guys!