Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-23-2010, 05:10 AM   #91
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post
Yes, we have a number of GoPro cameras here, both the wide and normal view....
I got a wide version (they were out of normal). I love it. Same gripe as you: sound! Now, if I can only remember to mount/use it at the autocross events! Same with my MaxQData. ugh.

Quote:

Things are not looking good for a race this weekend...

Looks like we have all the shock dimensions nailed down, and with any luck we should see them in about six weeks.
shucks. I cleared my Saturday. Sunday, well, that was already clear :)
Sorry to hear about this weekend, and your iceberg.

YIKES. Six weeks? Where's the smiley that passes out?
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:58 AM   #92
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
what spring rates did you end up running? i am currently running 375 F and 342 R on Tokico HTS's with a 23 mm rear sway bar... curious to hear what you guys run.
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:53 PM   #93
jekqmb
Local Sh*t Disturber

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB
Garm your car looks amazing on slicks! You better be going to Import Alliance this year!
Good luck with the tires Jason, i think you guys can pull it off! Also got any updated pics of your progress as of now?
Old 01-25-2010, 10:09 PM   #94
mojoyaris
Ecurie Snoopy Lives

Drives: Jojo
I'm curious to see how this is all going to come through.
10 in wide eh?
Western Canada Rally Association
Ecurie (Team) Snoopy Canada, racing since 1966
mojoyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:31 PM   #95
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
So Sunday came and went without the Yaris leaving the garage. I did go to AAA Speedway on Sunday to watch last years project car race (Nissan Sentra SER Spec V, that was built for Showroom Stock C for only $3k). My boss (Philip) ran the car in the SSC Natl race, qualified 2nd and finished 2nd - I was very happy to see he was lapping 1 sec slower than I ran in the car last June.

Yesterday we had a "work from home day" so I could nail done the rest of the items to get our car SCCA Club Racing legal. Finally we are log book ready and can start racing the car. Fire system, kill switch, seat, belts, wheel, pedals and preliminary bodywork are done.

Philip also came down to "help", instead he built a new exhaust for the Sentra, this only cost me about an hour of my time.

Making the bumpers secure without all of the mounting hardware, and crash beams was a project. The fiberglass headlight replacements seemed to take forever, but they are on - they still need to be finish sanded and painted, they are in primer right now.

We have yet to cut the fenders, so we are sitting on some old Kumho V710s, rather than our race slicks. Trying to determine how much to cut when we don't have our suspension yet is a bit of a gamble. But we will probable go ahead and cut them to fit the slicks now, and deal with further fender messaging after our suspension shows up.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:29 PM   #96
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Looking very good man! Aww... my old bumper...

Is that a stock radiator?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:09 PM   #97
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Is that a stock radiator?
No, its a Koyo. It came with the car, and we cant see any reason to change it.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:10 PM   #98
Jason@SportsCar

We just got back from the SCCA natl convention in Vegas. Had a chance to talk with a number of people involved with the Prod class rules making. Found out we were misinterpreting our wheel allowance... We thought we had to run 15x7 wheels, but it turns out that is the max size for our car in HP. So we are putting off the fender cutting until we have a chance to test fit a 13x7.

Going to a 13" changes our tires from a 23" diameter to 20". This will change our effective final drive by a good margin, lowers the car 1.5" without screwing up the geometry, and would drop another 20lbs from the car. Yet we still maintain a 10.4" tire width.

I did have some time to kill so I removed my first rear side window. Covered it in some spare vinyl and gave it a good whack with a rubber mallet. That was fun, and way quicker than removing it the correct way. Now I just have to cut and fit the plastic replacement.

I have continued trying to convince the SEB/PAC (Solo rules makers) to move the Yaris from EP to GP, as it is way underpowered for EP, but no luck. They want to see how it pans out in HP Club Racing before they risk upsetting GP with a newer car. So we will likely skip autocrossing this car on the natl level, and strictly focus on road racing.

Last edited by Jason@SportsCar; 02-01-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Jason@SportsCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:12 PM   #99
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

I have some V2 13x8 wheels here if you're interested.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:13 PM   #100
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
I have some V2 13x8 wheels here if you're interested.
I might have to send Philip over there to pick one up for a test fit.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:21 PM   #101
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

as you wish!
Old 02-02-2010, 12:31 AM   #102
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
Hi Jason,

I recently dug out my copy of Siphon #1, and checked out the article on the Tein Yaris. I thought you might find some of it interesting:

Quote:
In order to offset the weight of the full cage, TEIN even went as far as to remove all excess hardware and wiring. Chase [Philip Chase, TEIN USA sales and marketing manager] regaled us with stories of clipping wire harnesses out of the car, later crossing his fingers as he turned the ignition, hoping that the extricated wires were in fact as non-essential as he believed.

Take care... and good luck with your build & racing!
Old 02-02-2010, 12:45 PM   #103
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Zaius View Post
Hi Jason,

I recently dug out my copy of Siphon #1, and checked out the article on the Tein Yaris. I thought you might find some of it interesting:

Take care... and good luck with your build & racing!
Well that explains the missing OBDII port. The people doing our new dash/data system are thrilled about doing it from scratch, rather than just plug and play.

Seems odd that they would ditch the useful stuff, then install 12lbs of 0 gauge wire and a 35lb battery.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:00 PM   #104
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
Quote:
Well that explains the missing OBDII port. The people doing our new dash/data system are thrilled about doing it from scratch, rather than just plug and play.

Seems odd that they would ditch the useful stuff, then install 12lbs of 0 gauge wire and a 35lb battery.
Maybe it b/c they actually had this sales and marketing manager guy doing all the work! lol
Old 02-09-2010, 12:56 PM   #105
Jason@SportsCar

Had a productive weekend... Both of the rear side windows have now been replaced with 1/8" plastic for a nice weight savings. I pulled the headlight covers to add another layer of fiberglass, they are much stiffer now, and I was able to close up some of the gaps around the edges.

Got our fender flares and did a mock up, should give us just enough width to cover the tops of the tires, but with out making the car super wide.

Friday we have our log book inspection being done. And Sun we are off to the track for our first test session.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:05 PM   #106
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

what wheels and tires are being used?
Old 02-09-2010, 01:23 PM   #107
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
what wheels and tires are being used?
For our test day we are going to burn up some old 205-50-15 Kumho V710s, mounted on 15x7 Motegi Traklite wheels - these are off of the SportsCar ITA Miata project car.

We have some 15x7 Kosei K1 TS wheels, wrapped in 23-9-15 Goodyear Eagle Sports Car Specials (10.4" wide bias ply cantilever slicks) ready to go, but we are still looking at making the change to 13"s for the gearing advantage.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:39 AM   #108
Jason@SportsCar

It's always something. Getting ready to load up for our tech inspection... And the alternator is bad. No I have to try and pick one up on the way to the office.

300 miles on this car and the alternator fails.