Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-16-2019, 04:54 AM   #1
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
Water Leak in Boot

My poor car "Betty" seems to have sprung a leak. I noticed water collecting on the plastic trim panels behind the rear lights last year but it seemed to be fairly intermittent. Well its got worse to the point i've had to deal with it. It was soaking the carpet and the stuff in the boot.

I start disassembling everything, i suspected the rear light gaskets had perished and were leaking. I took them out and the weather strip off the roof and cleaned the mud and leafs out of everything but it was still leaking so i ripped out the plastic trim from the inside and had my dad spray the car with the hosepipe to try and find where it was leaking.

I found water leaking from out of what seam but i couldn't see how it was getting in there in the first place. So i took the weather strip out and found this.

Seems there was some stuff put in the seams under the boot seal but this stuff has perished or something.

Doesn't look in great condition. Near as i can tell the water must have been finding its way under the seal and getting into the gap in the seam and then running down the inside.

So has anyone had this before and what did you use to seal it up? Bog standard silicone sealer or did you use some proper seam sealer? I have heard sealing seams with water leaks on cars can be a bit of a pain.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:06 AM   #2
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
I've recently found water stains below my tail light access panels, so I'm also interested in whatever fix is involved here. Might just be that the weather stripping is worn out and needs to be replaced? The metal inside the seal really only works once or twice, then is too loose to hold on properly.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:53 PM   #3
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
Mine has been leaking for years. Can't find where it's getting in either. I'm getting water down the hatch side of your second pic. I've put Scilicone berms to redirect the pooling water into the spare tire well instead of working it's way to the back seat floor. I'll snap a pic later.

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:19 AM   #4
zoidberg444

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
I've recently found water stains below my tail light access panels, so I'm also interested in whatever fix is involved here. Might just be that the weather stripping is worn out and needs to be replaced? The metal inside the seal really only works once or twice, then is too loose to hold on properly.
I had wondered that. I bet a new weather seal would be very expensive from Toyota. I think i will try some seam sealer in the gaps.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Old 11-16-2019, 11:31 AM   #5
mtshum

Drives: Echo RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoidberg444 View Post
I had wondered that. I bet a new weather seal would be very expensive from Toyota. I think i will try some seam sealer in the gaps.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Yes, you are right. It's so expensive, but it fixed the water issue for me..
mtshum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 06:11 PM   #6
zoidberg444

Well a little update on the water leak. I have made 2 attempts to fix it. First by sealing the seams underneath the weather strip and when that failed i put a slathered the outside of the weather strip with seam sealer to try and stop the water getting under it. This too has been a failure it still seems to be dripping in between two panels half way up where the boot.

Running out of ideas. I pulled more out and let the headliner down partially to try and see if i could see where the water is getting in by the metal panels obscure it from view. I can only try even more seem sealer next week when i can dry it out and pull it into my garage and try again. Running out of ideas and seem sealer.

Honestly my frustration is getting to the point i'm two minds whether to take a sledge hammer to the fucking car at this point.
Old 11-24-2019, 11:30 AM   #7
mtshum

Drives: Echo RS
Quote:
Well a little update on the water leak. I have made 2 attempts to fix it. First by sealing the seams underneath the weather strip and when that failed i put a slathered the outside of the weather strip with seam sealer to try and stop the water getting under it. This too has been a failure it still seems to be dripping in between two panels half way up where the boot.

Running out of ideas. I pulled more out and let the headliner down partially to try and see if i could see where the water is getting in by the metal panels obscure it from view. I can only try even more seem sealer next week when i can dry it out and pull it into my garage and try again. Running out of ideas and seem sealer.

Honestly my frustration is getting to the point i'm two minds whether to take a sledge hammer to the fucking car at this point.
I think you better change the hatch seal, the rubber became harder when it aged. Keep us update..
mtshum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:25 PM   #8
Mike Dexter

Drives: '10 Hatchback
Two suggestions. One for each leak path (under the weatherstrip, and between the weatherstrip and the liftgate).

1) Get some body seam sealer from an auto parts store. The black, tacky stuff. Similar to the black, tacky stuff you'll often find underneath a weatherstrip if you pull it off!! Remove the weatherstrip. Apply a bead of that sealer to the flange on the body that the weatherstrip pushes on to. Put it on the outside face of the flange, near the tip. Then when you push the weatherstrip back onto the flange it will smush this all up underneath it. The goal is for this to stop any water that gets under the weatherstrip from getting up and over the tip of the flange.

2) To increase the contact pressure between liftgate and weatherstrip, loosen the screws for the liftgate striker, shift the striker forward, then tighten them. Alternatively, hit the striker with a mallet to move it forward. Your liftgate will now latch in a "tighter" position, and compress the weatherstrip more. Just note that it will require more force to get it to close.
Mike Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 12:34 PM   #9
An1992

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007 1krfe
Quote:

Have you found the solution to this leak you have found? I have the same infiltration from where it comes to you... and I'm going crazy.. Thank you very much
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20231102_105509.jpg (78.5 KB, 60 views)
An1992 is offline   Reply With Quote