Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-29-2012, 03:05 PM   #1
Frank Necrosis

Drives: 2012 Yaris L MT
Prospective new Yaris owner

I am in the market for a small car that gets good mileage. The 2001 Grand Marquis is a gas hog and it is starting to fall apart. I do also have a 2012 STi. I love the STi, but it wasn't purchased to be the daily driver.

I have 3 basic requirements for my daily driver. The car must have: air conditioning, cruise control and a manual transmission. Finding a car that meets these requirements seems to be a lot to ask for these days. The lack of manual transmissions is concerning. I don't know why, but I really prefer manuals. Driving the car is more personal and squeaking good mileage out of a car with a manual is much easier. I can get almost 30 out of the STi when I am not driving it like I stole it.

Other cars considered were the Hyunadi Accent, Prius and Fit. I really like the Accent, but there are none available with manual trans. I was willing to concede and suffer with an automatic in the Prius, but only to find out it just isn't a legit auto, but a soul killing cvt. The lower mileage rating of the Fit was the deal killer. plus, Honda's quality seems to be fading.

The Yaris is looking to be the best of the lot. Although Toyota does not offer cruise with the manual, it looks like adding it will be simple thanks to a few posts on here. Toyota will soon be able to credit the sale of a Yaris to the info here in Yaris World (assuming the salesman and I can come to an agreement on a few things).
Frank Necrosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
richard_rsp

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 3Dr
Hey, I will chime in with my 2 cents.

I was just in a similar situation (2 weeks ago) but chose the Yaris because it was the cheapest transportation I could get with those same conditions (a/c, Manual, cruise). For me, it was between a Yaris and a Mazda2. I have previously owned a Mazda2 Touring and loved it. However the base model (Sport) was the only one in my price range and was kind of a pain to add cruise.

So, I chose a 2012 Yaris L, 3-door. No worries about cruise control. It is a piece of cake to add... I added mine in about 30 minutes with about $60 in parts - No splicing required. Plus, the A/C is AWESOMELY cold and it comes with a USB adapter to plug my iPhone into - big bonus!

As far as driving the Yaris, I love it. It took me a while to get used to the seating position (its rather high [especially compared to my old Miata] and is not adjustable on the 'L' model ) however, now I find it comfortable for daily driving. I have yet to go on a long trip, but I assume it will do fine. The car has pretty much everything I would want in a car... the only exception being keyless entry, but that will be on my mod list later down the road! :)

I hope it works out for you! I have owned 24 cars in my past, with this being only my 2nd Toyota... So far, I am pleased!
richard_rsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
Frank Necrosis

The seating position of the Yars is a bit different. I am sure I will adjust, if not, the 4" angle grinder and welder will be put to use.

Another appeal of the Yaris is that there is decent aftermarket offering of goodies for it.

The Mazda 2 was up for consideration, but the local Mazda dealer..... ug.... Last year, I was looking for a car and they couldn't give me a price for what I wanted. It took them 3 months of calls back and forth to get a price. I am not talking about haggling, I just wanted a price. All I wanted was a baseline 3, any color. Apparently, they were not interested in selling a car. So, I bought an Impreza instead. Hated that car, traded it off for the STi.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #4
richard_rsp

Lol, sounds like you have had similar experiences to me.

One of the reasons for going ahead with the Yaris was due to the dealership taking so long to get back to me on my the Mazda2 (actually waiting on the trade-in value for my Miata - I gave them 4 days to figure it out). I dont understand dealerships sometimes....

Yes, the Yaris has some upgrade goodies - not a lot for the 2012's yet, but luckily, a good bit of the 2007-2011 parts fit the new model. Its not fast, but its got enough oomph for daily driving and handles decently.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
harda toenail

Drives: Want a yaris
I have the same feelings on auto transmissions. Been a four wheeler rider all my life. I need full control of the transmission.
harda toenail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:43 PM   #6
Frank Necrosis

Picked up the Yaris over the weekend. Manual trans, air, roll up windows, decent mileage.... everything I could want.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:49 PM   #7
richard_rsp

Awesome! Congrats! What color?

Pics? :)
Old 06-05-2012, 08:38 AM   #8
Frank Necrosis

Here are some pics.