Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-13-2014, 07:03 PM   #1
kmtodd4

Drives: 2014 Yaris LE
Glove box damper... where does it connect?

Hi everyone,

Only been driving my new Yaris a couple of weeks. I have the bluetooth hooked up but when my GF is in the car she used the AUX because I like to have my hands-free "free" in case someone calls and I want to answer without touching my phone. This means my glove box is opened and closed almost every day.

Today my "damper" disconnected from inside my glove box... not from the end that attaches to the glove box door, but where it affixes to inside the dash. I see that the end that attaches to the door is disconnected when you have to remove the glove box in most cases.

I must be crazy because I cannot figure out how to reconnect this damper. It seems like even when it's closed it is too long to connect to the notch I see inside the dash.

Has anyone else had issues with the damper and could tell me where each end is supposed to connect? Should I just leave it disconnected? I feel incredibly dumb asking because this seems like an easy fix but I am stumped.

Thanks in advance for any help!
kmtodd4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:30 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I am not sure that I completely understand your issue, but I believe that you are saying that the control that adjusts fresh versus recirculated air has popped off on the control knob side.

If that is the case, the key is to make sure that both are in the same potion when reconnecting (i.e. if the knob is in recirculate mode, then the damper should be open when reconnecting the cable to the knob.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:49 AM   #3
mrpj

Drives: 2014 Icon+ 1.33l Multidrive
I think they mean the damping rod which is attached to the glovebox lid one end and the car at the other. The glovebox end has to be pulled off to allow the lid to drop for access to the cabin filter. This rod has disconnected from the car end.
I could well be totally wrong though.
mrpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:55 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpj View Post
I think they mean the damping rod which is attached to the glovebox lid one end and the car at the other. The glovebox end has to be pulled off to allow the lid to drop for access to the cabin filter. This rod has disconnected from the car end.
I could well be totally wrong though.
Reading it again - I think you are correct.

This is the best image that the service manual shows as to how the "glove box stopper" mounts:

Glove box damper.jpg
Old 10-15-2014, 08:30 PM   #5
kmtodd4

Man, you guys are good. I had a feeling that I was going to feel a little dumb once someone pointed out the correct assembly to me... but it's even worse than I anticipated, haha. Apparently my problem solving skills are slim to none.

Thanks a lot for the help, guys. Much appreciated. Not sure how many threads you check, but wanted to echo what I put on the welcome thread. When my old car was dying, I started looking at new cars for the first time. Always like the Yaris but was getting pushed in other directions... found this site and the rest is history. This site was great and reading all the good opinions (and even some bad) made me realize this was my car. Loving the thing so far.

Cheers for moderating a great site and for helping out all the noobs like me! Hopefully one day I'll be lending tips on here. Thanks again.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:33 PM   #6
kmtodd4

As an aside, I'm hoping that having the usb and aux ports in the glove box won't cause the glove box to fall apart after awhile. If it weren't for the hands free calling, I'd get my girlfriend to just use bluetooth to play music. Might have to get creative on this one.