Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-03-2006, 11:24 AM   #1
grimez

Drives: 2007 Yaris
My speakers

Hopefully this thread will slowly grow into a collection of all my photos taken while installing my new audio system. I say slowly, because im in college, and I have limited time to work, and im piss broke. So, everything I order takes a while to save for.

Anyway, here are the things I have ordered thus far:

Front Speakers

Rear Speakers

Amp number 1

The plan is to get another amp to run maybe one or two small subs in the rear of the car. My only problem is, I don't want to lose a lot of the functional space of the car, so we will see what happens. My uncle is big into fiber-glass'ing stuff, so I might come up with a pretty nifty solution.
grimez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 11:33 AM   #2
boris13

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback, 5-speed
It looks like that amp would fit under the driver's seat. Very slim design; I like it.

Can the tweeters in the front speakers be mounted in a simple coaxial setup?
boris13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 02:21 PM   #3
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Nice choices.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 02:52 PM   #4
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
I'm no longer a fan of Blaupunkt.
But it will be louder and sound better then stock, that's for sure.

There is plenty of room under the seats.
If you need to you can saw off the jack brackets from under the driver seat (liftback) the jack will sit nicely on top of the spare tire or infront of ot or beside it whatever. No need to have it under the seat.
I decided to put my sub amp under the passenger seat because of the heater/A/C ducts. The YAris lift back anyway ...has the rear A/C ducts come out right under the seats so I will alway have plenty of air moving over the amps and in the summer cool air blowing directly on the amp.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:07 PM   #5
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
The jack under the drivers seat is what gives the Yaris perfect 50-50 weight distribution! Do not move it! Just kidding!

But seriously, will these components be hooked up to the stock head unit?

Last edited by nsmitchell; 11-03-2006 at 03:20 PM.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 03:12 PM   #6
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
Good stuff, just make sure you wire everything nicely and secure all your amps/subs to your desired locations.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:28 PM   #7
grimez

Just out of curiosity, why are you no longer a fan of Blaupunkt?
Old 11-03-2006, 03:34 PM   #8
grimez

And, no, they will not be hooked up to the stock head unit, I am getting a better head unit for sure as soon as I get the cash together.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:40 PM   #9
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimez
Just out of curiosity, why are you no longer a fan of Blaupunkt?
Few years back my parents bought a new 2002 Buick regal GS. Awesome car but the stock sound system sucked liked most OE units and the CD player skipped with every bump. So in 2004 they had it replaced

They had thier entire sound system replaced by a local audio shop.
New Blaupunkt HU and CD changer
4 new 2 way Blaupunkt speakers
At first it sounded great....

Within' a year the passenger front speaker started to rattle and both were replaced with the same class Pioneers. This last summer one rear deck speaker started to sound crunchy and the HU started to cut out. I replaced the rear deck speakers with Alpine and removed the CD changer that was constantly jamming up. The rear speaker vc was shorted out.
The HU seems ok but overall I've very disapointed in the quality of the basic Blaupunkt components.
I've used entry level JBL, Alpine and Pioneer for years with no problems. My parents sound system is rarely used and when it is it's not abused or played loud at all.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:52 AM   #10
bugnuts

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback BBP
I agree with 07WYarisRS

I worked for Pyle Speakers around 10+ years back, They produced some pretty crappy car stereo components themselves, and they also made speakers for Blaupunkt..They used the exact same components as they did for the Pyle speakers only changing the dust cap in the center that had the company logo (This is no shit!), Almost constantly they would get speakers all the way past testing to the final pack area and the backplate and magnets would fall off of them! This is the same as RCA making GE equipment (it is also crap!)There is a lot of companys producing components for other companys like this, It is hard to tell who made the rest of Blaupunkts equipment.
bugnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:07 PM   #11
grimez

Well, I certainly hope the quality has improved. I tested out all sorts of speakers in an audio studio at my local car audio shop, and the Blaupunkt Velocity's sounded the best to me (followed closely by the JL audio's). Anyway, the speakers came today, and they came with a free drill (yay?). Up next is ordering my head unit, probably going to happen within the next week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speakers2.jpg (113.0 KB, 373 views)
File Type: jpg speakers1.jpg (160.7 KB, 374 views)
Old 11-07-2006, 03:30 PM   #12
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Gotta love shiny new boxes and brand new speakers... and I guess that free screwdriver too. Probably has more HP than the car you'll use it on, hahaha.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:05 PM   #13
grimez

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles
Gotta love shiny new boxes and brand new speakers... and I guess that free screwdriver too. Probably has more HP than the car you'll use it on, hahaha.
Which brings me to a question I had for any experts out there...
Will I need to get a new battery for the setup I am planning to use? I will be using the above equipment, plus a new head unit, and another single channel amp with one 10" sub.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:48 PM   #14
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimez
Which brings me to a question I had for any experts out there...
Will I need to get a new battery for the setup I am planning to use? I will be using the above equipment, plus a new head unit, and another single channel amp with one 10" sub.
A new battery is not necessary at this time.

What you should do is determine the total amperage draw of your equipment.
Here's a quick way of caculating that:

Take the total RMS power of all your amplifiers (remember, RMS, not peak!)
Divide by 12.5 (this is your car's idle voltage, it sometimes fluctuates but this is average)

That gives you to the total amperage draw of all your amps.

Eg.
Amplifier #1 - 500W RMS
Divide by 12.5
= 40A

This is a rough guestimate of what the real amperage draw is. But it gives you a good indication of whether you need to upgrade your alternator, battery, ground wires, etc.

Since you are running a single mono amp, I don't think you will be drawing too much amperage from the alternator.

I could be wrong, you might be running an amp that's on steroids and pulls 90A
Old 11-07-2006, 11:27 PM   #15
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsky2
A new battery is not necessary at this time.

What you should do is determine the total amperage draw of your equipment.
Here's a quick way of caculating that:

Take the total RMS power of all your amplifiers (remember, RMS, not peak!)
Divide by 12.5 (this is your car's idle voltage, it sometimes fluctuates but this is average)

That gives you to the total amperage draw of all your amps.

Eg.
Amplifier #1 - 500W RMS
Divide by 12.5
= 40A

This is a rough guestimate of what the real amperage draw is. But it gives you a good indication of whether you need to upgrade your alternator, battery, ground wires, etc.

Since you are running a single mono amp, I don't think you will be drawing too much amperage from the alternator.

I could be wrong, you might be running an amp that's on steroids and pulls 90A

How will I know the RMS? I've always wanted to know the total amp my system is running. Do I just check the speakers, sub and amp and reciever? Or is it just sub and speakers? Sorry I'm a noob at this stuff. I always read total watts a system puts out in car magazines, how do I know mine? Do I just add up what my speakers, sub, amp and reciever put out as far as watts? Is that accurate? Thanks for any help.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:37 PM   #16
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECHOKnight2000
How will I know the RMS? I've always wanted to know the total amp my system is running. Do I just check the speakers, sub and amp and reciever? Or is it just sub and speakers? Sorry I'm a noob at this stuff. I always read total watts a system puts out in car magazines, how do I know mine? Do I just add up what my speakers, sub, amp and reciever put out as far as watts? Is that accurate? Thanks for any help.
You usually take the total RMS wattage from your amplifiers only, as these are the "sources" of power for your speakers and subwoofers. The power rating on the speakers are not considered when estimating total amperage draw.

To estimate the amperage draw, just take the RMS power rating from all your amplifiers. I do not include the receiver in this estimate because it is not pulling significant amounts of amperage current if you are using the RCA preouts with amplifiers.

To find out the RMS power of your amp, find out the model #, research it on the net and catalogs, or best of all, check your manual.

Then divide that RMS rating by 12.5 to determine your total amperage draw.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:39 PM   #17
grimez

Well... I was trying to price out the rest of my audio set up today, but ran into a little setback. I wanted to get a ODw1000HP sub by Blaupunkt, because I am not looking for a ton of bass, just something to give me some good response. Anyway, I can not find this sub anywhere. Blaupunkt.com advertises them, but I'll be damned if you can find one online to order.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:59 PM   #18
grimez

Finally got a bit more free money, so the headunit is on it's way! Should be here this weekend. Unfortunately I have to work like hell until Christmas, so I won't be able to really get into the install until then. The plan is to get a screen later for this unit, but I mainly got it so I can listen to MP3 DVD's.