Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-04-2015, 10:26 AM   #1
desidude

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007
2007 Yaris horn not working and other regular maintenance questions

Hi friends,

I hope everyone is doing well. I have a 2007 Toyota Yaris (hatchback) with about 102,000 miles on it.

The horn is not working, and I am wondering what the cause could be?

Also, do I need to do any periodic maintenance on it at this time? e.g. change some fluids, (transmission, brake, etc.)

I have about a 1000 miles to go on the oil change.

I am planning to take the vehicle to a friend, who is a mechanic, but currently working independently from home as he is attending to family matters.

If I can go prepared with the fluids and parts that may need changing that will really help.

Thanks,
desidude
desidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:31 AM   #2
miami

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by desidude View Post
Hi friends,

I hope everyone is doing well. I have a 2007 Toyota Yaris (hatchback) with about 102,000 miles on it.

The horn is not working, and I am wondering what the cause could be?

Also, do I need to do any periodic maintenance on it at this time? e.g. change some fluids, (transmission, brake, etc.)

I have about a 1000 miles to go on the oil change.

I am planning to take the vehicle to a friend, who is a mechanic, but currently working independently from home as he is attending to family matters.

If I can go prepared with the fluids and parts that may need changing that will really help.

Thanks,
desidude
Maybe there's a blown fuse? If you have your owner's manual, it should tell you where the fuse is. The manual will also tell you what maintenance is needed based on your climate and driving conditions.
miami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:49 PM   #3
desidude

Hi friends,

Thank you for your email.

I changed the fuse for the horn, but still no luck.

Any thoughts on what to troubleshoot next?

Thanks,
desidude
Old 09-04-2015, 07:20 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The horn relay is located in the under hood fuse panel and is directly below the HORN fuse. If you put your ear by it and have someone press the horn, you should hear the relay click. If it does, then either the horn itself or the tiny wire that feeds it is bad. If you don't hear the relay click, then the relay is bad and you will need to replace the the module that contains the relay.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:07 AM   #5
desidude

Hi friends,

Thank you for your help. We (my mechanic friend and I) are still trying to identify the problem, but these are the steps we attempted today, and this is what we have found out.

1)We changed the 10a fuse, the old one seemed fine, but we swapped it with a new one, yet no sound when I press the horn on the steering wheel.

2) The horn unit (located on the grill of the bumper works - we did this by connecting the horn directly to the battery of the car using an individual wire (not the green wire that is part of the wiring). Based on that we know the horn unit works.

3) When I press on the horn on the steering wheel, I can hear a click sound in the black color fuse box under the hood. I think this means that the fuse and relay are ok? And that there is a signal going from the steering wheel to the fuse box under the hood?

4) We opened the steering wheel, and could not identify any broken parts or loose contacts, but this was our first time doing so, thus it may be that we are missing something.

Here are some pics

At one point, when I pressed the horn on the steering wheel, it made a sound for a minute, but that was it.

I am thinking that the next step is to see if the 'tiny wire that feeds it is bad'...but I am unsure which wire it is, and how to access it?

Is it the green wire that is connected to the horn and goes to the fuse box (along with several other wires from other places) to the fuse box?

Or it is some other wire?

Any help or even better, pictures that we can get on this will be very very very helpful!

Thanks,
desidude
Old 09-05-2015, 10:46 AM   #6
desidude

Hi friends,

Thank you for your help. We (my mechanic friend and I) are still trying to identify the problem, but these are the steps we attempted today, and this is what we have found out.

1)We changed the 10a fuse, the old one seemed fine, but we swapped it with a new one, yet no sound when I press the horn on the steering wheel.

2) The horn unit (located on the grill of the bumper works - we did this by connecting the horn directly to the battery of the car using an individual wire (not the green wire that is part of the wiring). Based on that we know the horn unit works.

3) When I press on the horn on the steering wheel, I can hear a click sound in the black color fuse box under the hood. I think this means that the fuse and relay are ok? And that there is a signal going from the steering wheel to the fuse box under the hood?

4) We opened the steering wheel, and could not identify any broken parts or loose contacts, but this was our first time doing so, thus it may be that we are missing something.

Here are some pics

At one point, when I pressed the horn on the steering wheel, it made a sound for a minute, but that was it.

I am thinking that the next step is to see if the 'tiny wire that feeds it is bad'...but I am unsure which wire it is, and how to access it?

Is it the green wire that is connected to the horn and goes to the fuse box (along with several other wires from other places) to the fuse box?

Or it is some other wire?

Any help that we can get on this will be very very very helpful!

Thanks,
desidude
Old 09-05-2015, 08:12 PM   #7
07liftback

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
I had the same problem and checked all my fuses which checked out fine. Turns out the previous owner cut the wire going to the horn for some reason.
07liftback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:57 PM   #8
hairygityeti
Sir Rustalot

Drives: Toyota Yaris silver 2000 reg
I had a dead horn it was a corroded terminal on the horn itself and only worked when it wanted to.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:11 AM   #9
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
I traced my horn issue, to the clock spring wire broken, which was not to be expected.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 04:44 AM   #10
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Robot Troll.

Read all its posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desy208 View Post
I already heard about such problems, but I did not find a solution.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote