Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 08-12-2009, 01:18 AM   #1
AdeJong 03
"Stealth Runner"

Drives: 2009 Yaris-S Sedan
Sedan owners with full suspension mods? specifically all TRD

Hey guys I just recently received a coupon from my toyota dealership offering a 20% discount on toyota parts if i install em myself. I was planning to do so anyways so this is now great incentive to get the full trd suspension i was planning on.

I am planning on getting the TRD shocks, TRD Springs and TRD rear sway bar.

Have any sedan owners done this? How did it affect handling?

I have owned quite a bit of sports cars in the past so I know what the suspension parts are supposed to do. I just wanna know if its worth it. I think it should come out to a little over 700 for all of it.

LB owners can chime in too if they have done all of it.

thanks!
AdeJong 03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:23 AM   #2
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
I say do it.. I dont have all trd but i mean... its not like TRD is bad at all... its rebadged good brands.. if you can get a deal then go for it =) The Handling will Improve DRASTICALLY DRASTICALLY . Whole new car... so much funner.

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:34 AM   #3
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Go for it!
I self installed the full package and have zero regrets.
My '08 sedan handles like on rails but still has adequate suspension travel to load up the families gear and travel.
Still running the stock 185/60/15 rubber and have never had a rub with over 40,000 kl. of daily use.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:18 AM   #4
Sparks Toyota-TRD

Drives: Toyota/Scion
The TRD suspension will give you a great ride quality and with the progressive springs will give you great handling in corners. It is a great addition to any Toyota/Scion

Tim
Sparks Toyota-TRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:55 PM   #5
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
I have TRD springs never had a problem with em
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:15 AM   #6
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Yeh , i have the full TRD set up Springs, Shocks , and TRD Sway Bar
And yes it makes a massive differance to the cars handling .
It's ooohh so nice now
I say go for it , but there are cheaper options out there that are just as good , too you lucky people in the USA
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:32 AM   #7
AdeJong 03
"Stealth Runner"

Drives: 2009 Yaris-S Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1NZYaris1 View Post
Yeh , i have the full TRD set up Springs, Shocks , and TRD Sway Bar
And yes it makes a massive differance to the cars handling .
It's ooohh so nice now
I say go for it , but there are cheaper options out there that are just as good , too you lucky people in the USA
i do like the idea of running all of one brand and not voiding the warranty since i got my car very recently lol
AdeJong 03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:13 PM   #8
britishbikes

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
I know this is an old thread, but I would like to comment on the TRD suspension for the sedan. It does improve handling, especially when coupled with sport tires like Yoko S-drive, but keep in mind the ride is much more firm. The springs do have dual rate windings, but the weight of the car compresses them until the stiffer rate is what is used most of the time. The dampers control the higher spring rate well, but the units are basically retuned standard parts with steel bodies and no adjustability, as opposed to the fully adjustable aluminum parts on most sportbikes. But for the price, the deal is excellent. A bike shock costs $700-1300, where I got all the parts for the whole car for $800, meaning that 4 dampers and springs + a swaybar and bolts for the price of one shock (coilover) for a bike.

The right rear spring contacted the frame spring cup and made a little noise, but after a couple hundred miles, it got quieter ( I did install them according to instructions and triple checked this after I heard the noise.) I would recommend the TRD parts for anyone who wants tighter chassis control and lower ride, but the car rides more like a performance vehicle, and can be a rough at times, very unlike a grocery getter.

The alignment shop said eveything lined up perfectly, with a little more toe in the rear, but still within Toyota specs. A big thumbs up for the TRD parts!
britishbikes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shocks, springs, sway, trd